New...Don't Know What To Do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm new here I am 22 years old and I have been an alcoholic since I was 18. About a year ago I was diagnosed with severe rheumatoid arthritis and since then I have gotten more and more depressed. My boyfriend is an alcoholic too and we fight all the time. Mixing alcohol with the medication I am on now for my rheumatoid arthritis is very dangerous and can seriously hurt my liver I have been trying so hard but it seems like I can't and my health is getting worse and worse and recently I have been extremely ill. I need help.
    ?That's the problem with drinking,
    If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget;
    if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate;
    and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.?
    ― Charles Bukowski
    :wings::wings:
    Days AF: 13 :h

This is a great first step.

At least you are a youngin' and you have plenty of time left to enjoy your life AF(alcohol free)

The whole boyfriend also being an alky is certainly going to compound the problem, is he is not ready to give up AL(Alcohol)

Hang around here, get some ideas/techniques/coping mechanisms and give it your all. When you are "truly" ready to stop........you will.

I would highly suggest getting "yourself" right first and foremost, and let the rest sort itself out.

Hope this helps, my PM door is always open :welcome:
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Hi Loveless,

I wanted to welcome you and send you some support. I'm sorry you're having health and relationship problems right now. The good news is that your life will get better when you start to put some distance between you and your last drink.

You should check out the toolbox thread (first stickied thread under monthly abstinence). Also consider posting in the newbies nest in the "just starting out" section. Sorry I haven't figured out how to do hot links on my phone yet.

Have you been honest with your doctor about your drinking? I'm only concerned because your medication that you mentioned.

It seems scary and tough at first but your life will improve immensely by quitting. This site will give you TOOLS and SUPPORT for quitting. I found the following concepts very helpful in my quit:

Distraction and snacking when an urge hits
      Urge surfing
      Witching hour
      H.A.L.T. (Hungry, angry, lonely, tired) as cues to drink.

I hope you stick around!
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Hi Loveless - you came to the right place! I think it is easier for you - you do have very serious reason to quit - your health. My husband had acute pancreatitis and had to quit drinking - this is the only thing to do to be healthy. With your drug you taking and AL - your liver will be hurt, and liver is pretty important organ I believe. Have you tried to quit before?
        AF since 10/20/2013
        Smoke free since 09/24/2007
        Meat free since 09/20/2008
        ---------------------------------------
        With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

yes I have tried to quit before and the withdrawal was too bad I couldnt do it but I have to keep trying
          ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi Love. Glad you are here. I'm sure your situation has you very depressed right now, but there is hope. You are here, and we will be by your side. But I agree - you really can't drink and take the meds for RA. It's double duty for your liver and a dangerous combination. So let's concentrate on getting you healthy. Do you live with your boyfriend? If not, maybe you can limit contact while you work on fixing your life.

You have already gotten good advice from pinecone. Keep eating. Stay hydrated. Read everything on these boards and post often. You are young and have many wonderful things to look forward to. xx
            Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Love - we cross posted. Have you tried medical help to lessen the withdrawal? What about your RA doctor? Have you talked to him/her?

Comment

no I have not spoken to a doctor about my drinking yet because i was always too embarassed I also smoke weed everyday becsuse it helps with the pain and nausea but im worries its becoming a problem aswell
                ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Understood. I can't really advise you to do something that I have been too afraid to do myself. However, I am worried about you drinking with the RA meds. Are you ready to give up AL? I guess that's the real question? Because if you are, we will support you, hold you up, and send you hugs And if you falter, we will still support you, hold you up and send you hugs Deal? What is your plan for tomorrow.

Comment

I really do want to quit...and i need to I'm just not surehow im going to do it
                    ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Honey - I hear you and I'm listening. But you need to make a plan. Wanting and wishing are good, but not enough. Let's figure this out together. When you are ready, can you share a little bit more about your life. It would be helpful to us. Then we can give you better advice. Hang in there. xx

Comment

Hi Loveless, Glad you're here and you're in the right place for support. If you can, consult your doctor. As you've said, your liver can be damaged by both the alcohol and arthritis meds, so it's best to seek professional help if you can. You're so young and have lots of life ahead of you. You're so brave to seek out this site and recognize that you do have a problem. That's half the battle, sweetie. Check back often.
                        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

I live with my boyfriend I am on disability, but before I got sick I went to college for culinary arts and boulanger and baking arts. my mom also had RA and died when i was 15 and my grandfather died when i was 17 and thats when i first started drinking and smoking weed, i was also addicted to opiates and am now on methadone for that which is also dangerous to drink with. I now drink about 1 - 1 1/2 bottles of sake or 2 + bottles of wine per night plus I smoke weed 3-5 times a day. I have tried to quit before but I could never do it but this time i am determined
                          ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi, Loveless:

I am new here, too. I don't know much about how much you drink, but I know that withdrawal can be dangerous, so maybe you could confide in your doctor? Coincidentally, my mom just told me that an old friend will be visiting. She has RA and has kept it pretty well contained with taking good care of herself over a lot of years. You are taking control early in your life - that is a great thing. I agree with Moss that you need to focus on yourself and limit contact with your alcoholic boyfriend (unless he's with you in going alcohol free). Hope you're ok.

Comment

Love, you have had to endure a lot in your life.:l I'm so glad you are here. I saw that you found your way to the nest. That's great because you will get a lot of support there. Do you have a doctor that can help you through this? It sounds like the withdrawal may be tough on you, especially since you are already dealing with RA. Keep posting. We're here for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X