Is my past going to catch up with me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been doing well, even if I say so myself.

Day 82 today, and in the last 11 weeks I have been to the gym four or five times per week, ate healthily and not drunk AL.

On Saturday I got a twinge in the foot where I used to get gout from drinking. It got progressively worse until last night when i was in screaming agony. To the point where I had to crawl to the toilet on hands and knees.

I went to the doctor and got anti inflammatory tablets which will ease the symptoms, but I also got an instruction to go for a full check up including liver and kidney functions tests next week.

I am terrified. I might have cleaned myself up a bit now but what if the damage is done and it is too late? I would rather not know. I feel a bony finger of fate tapping me on the shoulder and saying "pride comes before a fall MrSofty, I will teach you to show off about how you are fitter and cleaner then ever before"

Last drink 6th September 2013

This could be something totally unrelated to your liver. But if it is, you have a much better chance of fighting it now that your body has had this cleasing period. Also if worse case happens and you have to have a liver transplant with this period of sobriety you will qualify for one, wherein you wouldn't have if you were still drinking heavily. So chin up hon. You have more of a chance to face whatever is in your future with your sobriety, exercise and proven ability to take charge of your health than you would have if you had done nothing. AND all your friends here at MWO are in your corner!!!!

Comment

Liver transplant is a scary idea - hope not But the idea of the big C in the liver is worrying me sleepless Maybe I am being dramatic I may be fine and the gout may just be incidental and not an indicator

Comment

Understood Softy, but there are lots of options now. And the sooner you know what they are the more there are. It's no longer an automatic death sentence hon.

Comment

Thanks for that I will stay positive

Comment

Please don't panic Softy! Doctors want most of their patients to have blood tests to check for liver/kidney problems. Even my 16 year old daughter has to get a blood test. It's standard procedure. Them requesting tests doesn't mean they think, or even suspect, that something is wrong. Just do the test and find out for sure...that's the only way to know.
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Like most men I am a coward when it comes to Doctors! I only went today because the pain was unbearable. Time to bite the bullet I suppose Thanks for the support

Comment

You're not scared of the doctor, you're scared of the results. Knowledge is power. Go find out whats wrong so you can deal with it (if "it" turns out to be anything).
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Softy, no need to worry too much. Gout is caused by a build up of Uric Acid, something the Kidney's, not the liver gets rid of. You may just be predisposed to get Gout but in any event you're body is producing more Uric Acid than your kidney can handle. Your Doc sounds like he/she is just covering all of the bases. If he/she knows your history or suspects based on your history, that you are drinking he's going to check your liver function as well.

Common worry among all us alkies....did we screw the pooch so to speak when it comes to our health. From your posts you're a tough one, gonna take more than your history of liking the drink to put you down....that is of course based on you hanging in there AF.
                  Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Thanks - that sounds reassuring. But one thing I do know, I won't drink. The other thing I know is that no matter how much I drank I ain't never screwed no pooch :-)

Comment

I had my first and only gout attack 100 days after I quit. It was from all the soft drinks and sugary food I had started eating.

No link to liver imho.

Comment

Think mine is linked to dehydration but that is linking in to a worry about kidneys. I suppose I have to bite the bullet, take the tests and wait for the outcome. Apart from the gout attack, physically I feel fine. I have had psychological difficulties recently but I have always suffered with depression at this time of the year and contrary to what I expected, AL withdrawal this year made it worse not better.

Comment

Try not to worry softy. I think we all have in common our tendency to overthink and worry. I got liver tests done there recently and got the all clear thank god. I was worried tho to be honest. Taking tests is scary but most of the time it's ok. If there's something up and please god there isn't it's best to know ASAP and hopefully nip it in the bud. Anyway just to say that you're not alone in thinking uh oh now my past is going to catch up. I felt the same and worried but I think it was my mind making it tough for me punishing me. We gotta control those negative thoughts. X
                          Drink free since 18 August 2013:h

Comment

Softy, I got BAD liver results and I knew the jig was up! I quit and STAY quit, 3 and a half months later when I got retested, everything was NORMAL. The liver is very forgiving...to a point! With 11 big weeks under your belt, I bet your liver is smiling and happy!! We will be sending positive thoughts your way....let us know the second you hear, ya hear?! All the best, Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Softy
                              Doctors seem to take bloods and liver function tests at the drop of a hat. They can check all sorts of levels and are probably not focusing on the liver at all.
                              Try not to panic! I am sure you will be fine x
                              AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Working...
                              X