Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does drinking alcohol free lager etc help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Does drinking alcohol free copies of drinks like, lager, beer, cider, wine etc work or does it just make you want to drink the 'real thing' (not coca-cola - real thing !!).

I don't want to try it if it just makes you crave the real drinks. I wondered if I could drink these permanently instead? Dunno. :anyone:

Thanks
    Just believe - that's all you have to do

:lilangel:

hi Angellina, I drink TONS of N/A Odouls here in the US and it's really been a big help for me. gives me an "adult beverage" kind of taste without the buzz or the fear of one. Of course you'll make me feel really bad if this backfires for you! **disclaimer**
    hope it helps you too. Take care.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Thanks, I may try it after the 30 days AF - if I get there!

That is exactly what I was after the adult taste instead of 'fizzy' kids drinks, juice or water all the time!

Ta, Angellina -x-
      :thanks:

Comment

Hey Angellina and Determinator-

(The following is just what I've found- I'm assuming it'll probably be a different story for some people)

I have tried all different kinds of non-alcoholic beers during my random bouts of sobriety. I found that they did not make me crave the real thing. That's not to say I DIDN"T crave the real thing- I did, but for different reasons.

For me, the N-A beers were never a trigger. Just a little boring for me, taste-wise. It was just something to have in your hand and sip on during a social evening or whatever.

There's actually some other brands out there besides odoul's- if you go to a store like Whole Foods they have German N-A lagers and some others, like Beck's. Also, if being inconspicouous is a concern- they are not as conspicuous as Odouls (since everyone knows Odouls is a N-A) and they just look like funky imported beers, so people tend to ask about them less.

All that being said- I did find that in a small way N-A beers helped me in sobriety- if I already had my N-A drinks chosen for the night, including bringing them with me if going to a social gathering, then I was less likely to reach for alcohol in a search to fill the void or just have something in my hands to sip.

Since that time, I've found that they just bore me a little taste-wise, and i now just go for Ginger Ale.

Comment

ok - thanks for that fire
          -x-

Comment

Hi Angellina,

I've only just tried incorporating NA beer into my list of drinks after 2 months AF - found it very refreshing, much less sweet than sodas so actually enjoyed a couple. However, having said that, I also enjoyed the idea of 'opening a beer' and it's the first drink since being AF that I actually looked forward to coming back from work - old habits. It wasn't until I looked closely at the label that I found it did infact contain 0.5% alcohol. I know that's nothing, but I could certainly sense enough difference between that and soft drinks to wave a red flag and get me to look at the label more closely - so be careful with the ones you choose!
            :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
            Goals:
            Days 1-7 DONE
            Days 8-14 DONE
            Days 15-21 DONE
            30 days DONE
            60 days
            100 days

Comment

good point Arial. a 3 percent ale might be considered N/A in Belgium

i used to get Belgian ales that had 12percent or more.....gee honey I
              only had a few beers....thud.
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

The longest I went without alcohol was six months. I did it by replacing my nightly beers with non-alcoholic beers. It worked from a physical point of view.

However, I have heard of a lot of people being as compulsive with the NA beers as with normal beers. It's the psychological dependence.

So if you binge on NA beers, you are not really addressing the compulsive issue that gave you a problem in the first place. but the good news is that you will avoid the hangovers and other enorrmous problems.

Comment

I do drink N/A beers if I am feeling like a beer and it is early I will have an N/A beer and that will be ok with me until later when I have regular beer. It has helped me moderate and I do think it works for me.

Sammys

Comment

Working...
                  X