Hi friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi friends

I've been in a very bad place. Finally admitting to my self, my family and my doctor that I suffer from an illness that I am very ashamed of. I suffer from depression. I haven't had a drink, and I won't, but the shame of this, my weakness in giving in to it really hurts.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Hi friends

Hello BH, Why are you ashamed? You have done the right thing by seeking help, I am proud of you xxx
    AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Hi friends

hey BH i suffer from depression and have for years and years. I take the meds then i feel great and then i stop when i should stay on my meds. I am back on them and i must say feeling much better in myself. Dont be ashamed of depression, so many people kill themselves due to the stigma attached. It is treatable and believe me it is wonderful that you seeked help and will get to being "normal" (whatever that is) in a short time.

I was feeling tired, unloved, worthless, no motivation, nothing made my day a happy one but now i am seeing light at the end of the tunnel. You will be okay and big hugs from me.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi friends

Hi, BHalo

I've been worried about you ever since that very sad helicopter crash. I was going to PM you tonight if I hadn't seen you by then :l.

Please don't blame yourself for depression! I don't blame myself for a couple of problems I have (in addition to the one that brought us here!) but I try to live in a way that minimizes them. It sounds like you are ready to do that for depression, too, since you've told others, including your doctor, about it. It is not a character flaw - it is biochemistry that needs to be corrected. Do you know why shame is what you are feeling?

For you NOT to drink when you're so down about this shows that you definitely are not weak. That takes enormous strength. I know you would like to escape this and not deal with it but -- you didn't make that terrible choice.

I'm so sorry you have another cross to bear. I hope you'll let us share the load. xx- NS

Comment

Hi friends

Hi BH,

I just saw this and I'm sorry you are hurting! I just wanted to send you some support. Have you talked about treatment options with your doctor ? At first when I read this, I didn't get why you feel ashamed. Is it not being 100%, or the idea of having some flaw? I've always read your posts and thought that you are really a bright star on the inside. Please keep your chin up!
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Hi friends

BH,you are not alone i think alot of people have depression around here,the important part is you are being honest to yourself in admitting it instead of being in denial,dont be ashamed at all! hugs to you
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi friends

I can't eat, or sleep. I just can't function, and I know a drink would kill me. I just want you guys to know what's happening and that I appreciate all of you. thank you . The main problem is that I've hidden it from everyone. I die inside a little more every day, but I still get up, put a smile on my face though it's killing me inside. If you are hiding a problem like this like I was, please don't.
              Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Hi friends

The stats are something like 1 in 5 adults suffer from depression at some stage of their life

That is 20% so when you think about it, it is perfectly normal

Alcohol in my view leads to a tendency to suffer or at least raises the percentage probability

Good news is it is treatable and can be overcome with support ( you will get loads of that from the good folks that post here )

I recommend the book "I have a black dog" which really helped me and others around me understand in very simple terms what depression is all about
                Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

Hi friends

thanks for listening everyone. I always blame everything on drink, I am now having to admit to myself that AL is only part of it. Even when not drinking I can't function properly. I'll take the pills and do as the doc tells me this time. Thanks again:l

Comment

Hi friends

Here is a link to the video version of the book 4 minutes long....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]]I had a black dog, his name was depression - YouTube

I have read this book many times, it is superb.:h

Comment

Hi friends

thanks Softy. It's just hard to have this label now. I actually have been sat down and told that I have a mental illness. Most people who know me rate me as a very intelligent woman. How can this be?

Comment

Hi friends

You've told us about the many losses you endured in a short span of time that led to the problems with drinking. Could it be that you're experiencing the grief and other emotions that you masked for so long? I don't want to sound like I know about all this but from what I understand of your story, depression sounds like a normal response.

Thank you for telling us what is going on. Please get the counseling or medication you need, ok? Can your daughter or niece come help you while you are at this very low point?

Please take care of yourself as much as you can.

Comment

Hi friends

Hiya BH,

Sorry to hear of the depression. Fantastic that you are taking action and spoke with your doc and family. Anti depressants can sometimes take a couple of weeks to kick in, so you might need patience and some strategies to keep cool in the meantime.

AD's often won't work whilst we're drinking as booze can cancel out/neutralise their effect.

Take care and keep us posted on how you're doing ok? You are a hero to me, and i bet to your family.

G bloke. :l

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi friends

I am a successful executive earning a good salary with a huge deal of respect from colleagues built up over the years. I got ill. That's all it is. An illness. The label "mental" illness doesn't have shame attached to it any longer these days like it did in the past. You wouldn't be ashamed if you got gastroenteritis. Don't be ashamed that you got ill with depression. People will understand and help. They will not judge. Believe me (hard when you feel like you are doing at present) it is not the big deal to others that you think it will be. Give it time and it will come right for you. There is so much known about how to help people now and I am sure your doctor will help tremendously.

Take care. Be good to yourself.

Comment

Hi friends

Please don't buy in to the stigma associated with mental illness, BHalo. It is like that associated with alcoholism. It is wrong and makes it harder for people to seek help and heal. Neither are moral issues or weaknesses. And both are present in people of all levels of intelligence.

Comment

Working...
                              X