Forgetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgetting

As time goes by and you are AF for longer periods of time, do you forget the bad times that AL has caused? The embarrassment and completely out of character behaviours?

Forgetting

Londoner, this is what NoS posted on the Ladies on a mission thread today.

Also, one thing I wish I had done was write down in excruciating detail how you feel right now. This can be a public post or a private thing for you to read in the future once you forget how awful you feel right now. And you will. Our brains are programmed to blur the sharp edges and forget some things entirely - how else would we survive? You need irrefutable documentation of what you have done and the fall out you're living with now. I did not do what I am suggesting and I wish I had.

I think your question has more to do with forgetting the shameful that we want to forget, but cannot - but I think it still applies.
    14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Forgetting

Londoner, mercifully, yes, you do forget the really bad times that AL caused. Time heals a lot of things. I still cringe sometimes about some of the things I did, but I don't dwell on them and I have been able to forgive myself. BUT, it is a place I never want to go back to. You will be able to let go of this emotional baggage. Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Forgetting

Londer, i try and not forget what got me to this place, it is a constant reminder that i dont want to go back there again, to suffer the embarrassment etc that comes with being drunk.

I like to think of it as when i was young some bad things happened. I never forget those things but i have moved on from them, they are always at the back of my subconscious like al, I dont want them repeated in the history of my life. I dont want to forget my behaviour drunk as that is what keeps me going to be af but it is just a memory now it is not real. I have not done anything drunk for nearly a month now and it feels good as now the memories are clear and precise and good memories.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Forgetting

Londoner,

you never forget. But as you have more AF time under your belt you will see how much better a person you become. It will help you stay sober when you get to about 100 day mark.

Your past will never change but you can take charge of your future.

Good Luck my friend.

Allan
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Forgetting

You will and can forgive yourself. The pain goes away, but the memories can help to maintain our sobriety, I think. Nobody is a perfect person. We all have "stuff." It's the moving forward part, the changing for the better that is what's important. AL = pain for me. No AL = No pain = Gain.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
            X