so here I sit again...feeling the guilt shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am back...sitting here all hungover and feeling sorry for myself. I really want to be done with this insanity! I need help! I don't want to be a drunk anymore and I am ready for recovery...the problem is that I am afraid everyone is going to give up on me...I really need guidance, encouragement and for someone to pick me up out of my hell...
    Honeysoup :heart:

Hi Honey and welcome back. We have all been down the track of remorse and guilt and shame and insanity and we more than anyone can relate to how you feel. One day at a time, dolly steps, "today i will not drink" is my mantra.

I am still relatively new although been on here and lurking and now on here again to win this battle. Just think if you stop drinking all those thoughts and feelings of AL go and then we start to heal albeit it slowly.

Take care and keep on here, if not for MWO i would be hungover this morning, swearing i would not drink again and going out to buy my fix at 4pm to start the vicious cycle again.

We wont give up on you.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Welcome back Honey,

We will be here to support you but you have to help yourself first!
      Make yourself a brand new plan, make the commitment & get it done! There's no point in repeating the same old mistakes, the outcomes never change

Wishing you the best!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I am right next door in NW IL.. I haven't posted here in a couple of years, but am getting ready to come out of the woodwork. Private message me for some neighborly support and encouragement! I'll need it too..
        "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
        ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

I am here for you as well...come out of the woodwork and we can hopefully do this together!

Comment

Sounds good..((hugs)) HoneySoup..cute name!
            "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
            ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

Hi, Honeysoup and welcome back.

I am only on day 27, so I only offer you the advice of a newbie. Start with a plan as Lav says. J-Vo posted on another thread that when she slipped her first act was to create a NEW plan, adjusted to account for the slip so that it wouldn't happen again. I appreciate Sunbeam's list of things to do instead of drink, and Byrdie's ideas of how to make a plan on page 31 of the Toolbox. I also got the good advice to write down in as much detail as possible what I was feeling when I came here on day 1, so that I can use it if I ever feel like drinking one "would be ok."

I don't think anyone here will give up on you, but they will challenge you to challenge yourself by taking an active part in your sobriety. Join us in the Newbies nest - read, read, read and post, post, post.

Take care of yourself today - you'll feel better soon!

Comment

And hi, DipGal. Welcome!

Comment

Lavande;1604162 wrote: Welcome back Honey,

We will be here to support you but you have to help yourself first!
                  Make yourself a brand new plan, make the commitment & get it done! There's no point in repeating the same old mistakes, the outcomes never change

Wishing you the best!

Lav

I appreciate the advise...my plan is to live a sober life, to get back on my antabuse, exercise, and maybe start going to meetings. I was going to wait until the NEW YEAR to start sobriety but I know that I just have to suck it up and start today.

My husband and I are going to a New Years eve party and I don't know how I am going to get through it. I know I can't take my AB today but I think I just better pop it first thing in the morning so that I just can't drink at all on New Years otherwise I will be way to tempted. I don't know how I will get through it hanging with my drinking friends and such but I know that they will understand.

Comment

Honeysoup;1604190 wrote: ,

My husband and I are going to a New Years eve party and I don't know how I am going to get through it. I know I can't take my AB today but I think I just better pop it first thing in the morning so that I just can't drink at all on New Years otherwise I will be way to tempted. I don't know how I will get through it hanging with my drinking friends and such but I know that they will understand.
                    Hi Honey,

I am 67 days AF and so my advice is limited. I found however, that staying away from social events with AL was crucial for me for the first few weeks. It was just too tempting to drink.

You may want to rethink New Year's Eve. Staying home reading and posting on MWO with a cup of tea may be a better idea.
                    I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
                    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Comment

Welcome back, HS! I totally agree with WinebeGone....as fragile newbies we can't take much temptation. Make your sobriety your #1 priority.....it sure is mine, and i just don't attend things that I think are too risky. It's just not worth it. A New Years Eve party is the last place I would recommend a vulnerable drinker go, wouldn't you agree? That's like sending a starving person into a buffet line and telling them they cant eat. Set yourself up for success!! All the best, Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

A New year's party can wait....until next year or the year after even.
                        There is no reason to go to one now. A case of the 'flu' could come in handy
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Honeysoup,
                          Welcome back. Yes, I agree that going to the party will not be a good idea if you have a plan to be sober. Way too early for that. And I don't know if I'm into any parties that revolve around AL anymore. If that's the main attraction, maybe it's not a place for us to be. Do you think that your hubby would be up for a nice dinner and movie? That's my plan. And I'm gonna eat a whole small popcorn by myself...

The plan is crucial. Come here everyday. That's what really got me on the right road. Reading lots and lots. You mentioned meetings. That may be a good thing if you like the face-to-face contact. Write your plan down, but be specific. Welcome back!
                          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Love all the great advise and please keep it coming. I am on vacation all week so this is a great time to do some soul searching. I am hoping to get out of New Years...I would really rather stay home but hubby is insisting on going and then he says thats it for him too. You are all right...It is the last place I need to go to...maybe I will get lucky and get the stomach flu it has to be better than being wasted and hung over. I am off to bed and can't wait to wake up and actually feel half way normal rather than like crap and hung over.

Comment

I found that even if I was able to attend a party and not drink, the stress of it all would sometimes lead me to drink in the days that followed anyway. So, now I turn down parties where I will feel stressed, and go into other parties with a rock solid plan. There's value to going to a party and not drinking, however, NYE parties are tough, because there is usually a lot of alcohol at them, and you are usually expected to stay until at least midnight. If you go, have a plan to get out early if you need to. During the first month or so, or as long as you need, not drinking needs to be your first priority. So, if that means skipping a party, not seeing friends, staying home, whatever it takes, so be it. There will be other parties.
                              11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Working...
                              X