New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New

Hi! I've been lurking here a little bit and am very encouraged by all the information and encouragement! I am 45 years old and i have tried to quit drinking many times on my own. I really want to make a change in my life. I feel a little overwhelmed in knowing how to make a plan. How do you know where to start? I started taking kudzu and L-Glutamine a couple weeks ago and it seems to be helping a little, but not as much as I hoped. Does anyone have anything to suggest that is the best things to add to that? I don't have the money to get the whole starter pack at once.

New

Welcome here, Gracie! Join us in the Newbies Nest, and have a look at the Toolbox to help you with your plan. Here are the links:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ml#post1607857
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...x-8-27556.html

I don't take any supps, but I'm sure somebody will soon chime in with good advice.
    14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

New

Hi Gracie, I do not have advice on supplements but just wanted to welcome you with a ((hug)) and wish you well! I am new, too! We can kick it!!:welcome:
      "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
      ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

New

:welcome: Gracie. There is a ton of info on this site for supplements, etc. In the beginning I followed the supplements suggested from this site and 7 weeks to sobriety. It certainly made me more resolute. Good Luck and hang around. The Newbie's Nest is fantastic.
        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

New

Hi Gracieb! I don't know too much about the supplements either but like dipGal wanted to say hello and to welcome you too! I'm the same age and have also read a lot on the site before posting. Its my 8th day AF and I just keep on thinking how lucky I am to have stopped being tied to alcohol, I knew I had a problem when I started to think about how, where and what I would be drinking when I went out to weddings and nights out more than who I'd be with and the event itself! Its like a weight off my mind now not having to think about drinking, but I know there will be times when it won't seem so positive and I'm just approaching my new AF life as I would if I was a vegetarian, I'm treating it as if I'm allergic to it and that's it, I'm a teetotal. Keep posting and be strong x
          AF since 8.8.14

Comment

New

Welcome Gracie!

I'm currently really enjoying the DrinkAware website and especially its drink tracker. You need to register for it (free) and then need to get over that when you put in how much you've been drinking (you can actually back track if you can remember) it will go RED and tell you that you are horribly high risk. Yes, I know that. But then it gives you calories, units, and immediately pats you on the back you when you drink even a little bit less by showing that you consumed less that last week and so on.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/about-us

Anyone following my posts (can't think why anyone would but who knows) will think I own stock in it or something, because I'm recommending it all over the place...

Good luck and know that there's always someone here for you.

Comment

New

Hi, Gracie:

I was overwhelmed, too. I think the Tool Box is a great place to start - many posts talk about making a plan, and basically you get to choose one that suits you. I didn't take any of supplements here, but I drank a lot of water, took a vitamin B supp, and exercised to avoid anxiety.

Welcome to MWO. I am just finishing day 34 - it truly does get easier as everyone here says. The fear keeps us back, but push through it and you'll see that there is nothing to fear.

Comment

New

Hey Gracie,
                :welcome:
                Just popping in to say hi - I'm too a long time lurker, and still fighting the fight. Some lovely genuine people on here, who will offer much love and support, and not to mention vital advice.
                Good luck on your journey,
                Noodle x

Comment

New

Welcome Gracie!

I am new (besides lurking) here myself! The only supplement I take is a powdered vitamin/mineral supplement to put the nutrients I robbed my body of back in.

I read the tool box for about 2 hours yesterday and there are many many good ideas to help you on your way.

Comment

New

Thank you for the welcome, everyone, I have been reading so much, it gets a little overwhelming. I started on kudzu a few weeks back and it has helped some, but not as much as I hoped at first. I want to be clear headed, normal and healthy! I work on it for a while, and then bam, I'm down again. I don't drink every day, but I binge and it sabotages everything good I'm trying to do with my life. But I'm afraid to say "I quit" because I'm afraid of failure, afraid of relapses which seem to be more intense. I'm afraid of everyone around me (mainly my husband) rolling his eyes and saying "Yeah, I've heard that before." I feel like I'm caught in a tar bed and the more I try to fight it the more stuck I get. But, at least for today I'll be AF. :/

Comment

New

Hello & welcome gracie

Making a good plan for yourself is essential. Writing it down helps make it real!
                      You need a strong desire to quit & make the commitment. Pick a quit date, get all the AL out of your house & just jump on board. I did it & you can too

I didn't use any supplements when I started but I did use the MWO Hypno CDs. Changing your thinking is the way you stay quit

Jump into the Newbies Nest for more support.
                      Wishing you the best!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

New

Hi GraciB and welcome!
                        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

New

Hi Gracie. It's nice to have you here with us. I lurked for years before having the courage to take the plunge, make my first post, and take an active role in my recovery. So you have already taken the first step forward. So I guess my advice would be to stick close to MWO. I haven't always done that, and it always ends up being a huge mistake.

I am a big believer in taking supplements, especially early on. It helps to heal our alcohol-battered bodies. However, it takes some time to refine your regimen. I'm still working on that. If you have some time, visit the Holistic Healing section of this site. There are some great threads on natural therapies that deal with the physical and emotional aspects of breaking this terrible addiction.

I can see you have already gotten some excellent advice on where to look for help developing your plan. Best wishes to you and hope to get to know you better.
                          Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Working...
                          X