My husband fell down a flight of stairs..ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late yesterday afternoon my DH was bringing firewood up from downstairs.. lost his balance near the top and fell down an entire flight of stairs. It's a miracle he didn't break a bone or his neck! He would not let me take him to the ER because they would have done a blood test and probably would have thrown him in detox after they figured out what was physically wrong with him. (He was in detox once 3ish years ago and vowed never to return!)

He said he had some pain last night, but this morning it is really bad. His left side/back, some pain under his ribs and a scrape on his head. I gave him some Aleve - Naproxen Sodium for the inflammation and a xanax so that he could rest on his easy chair.. He is unable to get into/out of bed.

An old friend who was a long time severe alcoholic (drank about 2-3X as much as DH) had something similar happen to him 10 years ago. He fell down and injured himself.. was too drunk to realize.. When someone found him after a day or more he had passed out from internal bleeding. He was rushed to the hospital and was in intensive care for a couple of days, but could not be helped because of all of his failing organs due to his AL abuse. He died within a few days. Very sad indeed.

I have been monitoring him and I don't think that his injuries are life threatening. When he wakes up I'll encourage him to take a shower (he hasn't showered in over a week due to his depression) so that if we do have to go to the ER or the doctor tomorrow he'll feel better about himself.

I managed not to drink yesterday after it happened, but I really, really want to use this as an excuse to drink today and start over tomorrow.. I am feeling so sorry for myself and my situation.. Maybe I should just steal one of his xanax myself and hope the stress goes away.

Thanks for reading...
    "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
    ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Oh, DipGal, so very sorry to hear about your poor husband. He's so helpless right now that if you start drinking again you won't be able to help him, right?

And nothing would really get better - except you'd have to start all over again tomorrow, and that may not be the best day etc., rinse and repeat.

Have you considered TSM or baclofen to help you and your husband? I am not touting this as the only option but in your situation I would consider looking at either one or both. I say this with the risk that I'll be blasted by those who use the AA model...but believe me I'm only thinking you may want to read up on the meds that are available.
    JMum
    My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Oh dipgal, that is a frightening story. Being a nurse, I strongly recomend u take him to ergent care ir an er today. Now that he is in a sober state, they would not even alcohol test him necessarily. Just tell them he fell last night but the pain was getting worse today. Maybe this could be a wake up call for him? Michelle
      ?Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.?

― John Wayne

Comment

Yes, JM - you are right - if he needs me I need to be sober.. good point! I was just thinking about me.. Regarding the drugs, I really don't think I need them.. I am more of a holistic person and have Sam-E and L-Glut which I haven't needed. I don't have many stressors in my life (thankfully) except when something like this happens. DH definitely needs them but refuses to admit to his doctor the severity of the problem, and therefore will not ask for a RX

Michelle - Wake up call? Maybe.. He had 2 wake up calls last year, and quit for 52 days.. Well, you know the rest. Thanks for the advice about the ER.. We'll see how he is doing and if he'll let me. I can't force him - although I AM a little bit bigger than him..
        "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
        ~John Lennon

~Author Unknown

Comment

So sorry to read this Dipgal. Meshell is a nurse, so she knows about these things. I hope he agrees to be seen. That would take a huge weight off your shoulders, just making sure he's going to mend properly. This is a very difficult time for you, especially since your husband is still a drinker when you are trying to quit. But as JMum says who will take care of him if you are intoxicated? Trust me, you will feel strong, purposeful, and relieved if you get through this trigger sober--it will fuel your fire for an AF life. Many positive thoughts and support coming your way.
          Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

So sorry to hear this Dipgal! It is especially hard in your early days of sobriety, but as others have said, you need to be sober so you can think straight and help him out!

Please keep us updated on his condition! Sending good healing thoughts your way!

Comment

He is up and moving around and forcing himself to walk around the house so that he won't get stiff. I really think he is okay. Thanks all!
              ~John Lennon

~Author Unknown

Comment

sometimes being intoxicated helps with falls. I fell down a flight of stairs about 6 months ago and put a big hole in my drywall at the bottom landing with my head.

I had bruises and was sore, but was ok. Guess I have a hard head.

glad he seems to be doing well!

Comment

So sorry to hear this, DGal. We used to live in an old house with a narrow steep flight of stairs at the back. Neither of us ever fell, thank God, but it was always my nightmare scenario that while inebriated one of us would go ass over teakettle down.

I sympathize also with the task of temperance with a darling spouse who still drinks a lot.

Comment

DGal......sorry to hear about your husband accident. I have ended up at the bottom of a staircase or two. Keep an eye on him.....some ingeries don't come out till later !
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Im so glad to hear that he is ok. falling is alway scary for us drunks.
                      ?Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.?

― John Wayne

Comment

:lDg,
                        Sorry to hear about your DH's accident. Make sure you don't drink so you can continue to monitor him, and if you need to drive him to ER later, you will be able to.
                        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

DipGal
                          I posted in another thread of your's regarding this situation but I was not aware of what happened nor the severity. I am sorry if I sounded insensitive. I have done the same damn thing carrying firewood and it screwed my back up forever it seemed. Is his head ok?? that's the major concern.
                          Sam
                          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

I think he's okay and so am I... Phew!

I really appreciate everyone's advice and support. Other than soreness, he is walking around okay, he did a few small chores and is not acting like he is in much pain. Then of course, he had a drink or two to help.. I think he was REALLY lucky and other than maybe having to go to the chiropractor this week, I think he'll make it. Samstone - no worries! There are always going to be triggers, especially with this DH.. and I need how to learn how to deal with them without my liquid best friend.

Now, back to me... LOL... I survived the urge to console and comfort myself with booze!! I poured a N/A beer, popped an L-Glut 1,000mg tab and started cooking (turkey chili-yum!) to distract myself... The urge, that I had sorta talked myself INTO indulging, vanished! I am not sure whether it was the L-Glut or the fact that DH is okay.. but, I'll take it and will be happy to report tomorrow that I am on my 5th day AF AND I survived an AF weekend for the first time in 28 years! I am pleased!

:thanks: to all!!
                            ~John Lennon

~Author Unknown

Comment

Bravo on the AF DipGal, and i'm very glad to hear your DH is okay.

I have always found that the urge, and attendant argument I have with myself about drinking WILL and DOES fade and disappear if I resist. Resistence is not futile... And now you know you can handle these lovely crises life throws at us without a drink.

:goodjob:

Comment

Working...
                              X