Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I in the right place?

Hello community.

I'm not even sure where to begin. I apologize if I'm in the wrong place asking for help.

Let me begin by introducing myself as Steve. That really is my real name and I'm happy with it so feel free to call me by it.

On we go. Am I in the right place. Maybe, maybe not. I do like to drink but am not an alcoholic. Have I confused you all yet?

I am a gambling addict so I can appreciate what everyone on this community is going through. We all have good days and the bad days are always just around the corner. Just like everyone here too.

The real crux is I have come to realize over the Christmas period that my very best friend is a very functional alcoholic. I never saw it coming at all. Everytime our paths would cross she would always act in a professional manner without showing any obvious signs of what had consumed her the previous night.To everyone who knows her even close family and friends its well hidden. But its eating away at here from the inside everyday.

I know she is already using the My Way Out system. She asked me to check it out as she thinks its the answer to her prayers. And help her find 'the secret to her little black box' Only she knows where that is but that's what she calls it.

So as to why I'm really here.

What advice can you all give me (the more the merrier) on how to support her on her mission to stop the drink winning everytime. She a very tough and determined woman but seems unable to beat this. Yet?

Sorry all for the log post but needed to start somewhere on this journey!

Am I in the right place?

Hi HP, this is the right place. There is a lot to read up on and more people will come along to give advice. I find when I get anxious and wanting a drink, just reading old posts can help. We are all in the same boat and everyone understands.

Good decision to start doing something about drinking. I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Am I in the right place?

HP-I don't know what to suggest but you are a good friend.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Am I in the right place?

Steve I am an alkie and my hubby is an addict. Many of us on here have a similar situation. Since your friend is already on here, reading and posting your experiences battling your own personal addiction of gambling seems like a helpful thing to me.
        Who knows, you might benafit from all the wonderful support available here on MWO too. I usually post in the Newbies Nest and that is where people starting out can get settled in and comfortable.
        I look forward to hearing more about your personal journey.:welcome:
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Am I in the right place?

Hi community again

A little update for you all and some more advice needed.

My friend is currently doing everything she can to fight the alcohol winning.
          Exercising, taking all her tablet and keeping busy and sleeping a lot.
          She is doing the 7 day sober program is was going well for the first 2 days. Day 3 went well until she went to bed and found herself waking up screaming out for help twice during the night. I think this might have something to do with her suppressing something from her early life cause she's had nightmare since 3 years old. She is now craving a drink as we both expected. I keep telling her 'she doesn't drink' and she agrees which is good. From the little I've read it seems that Day 4 could be a killer to get through. We are both prepared for a tough day as she'll be alone this evening. She says she's expecting to call for help.
          So with with this in mind can you give any advice on what to expect. I'm 5 mins down the road and am willing to rush the be by her side. How can I best help her?

Thanks all for any help

Comment

Working...
          X