Dinner Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinner Date

Happy Sober Thursday all. Got an unexpected invite to dinner with friends next week. It unexpected as when I was drinking they never invited us out. Cant say I blame theme as even though I thought I was hiding it people in my friends circle knew what a loud mouth offensive drunk I turned into. Part of me is happy that they now realise I am sticking with being af ( they have seen me at a few social ocasions over the holiday and I have not been drinking and I told them at the begining of my quit that I had a problem with al). The funny thing is although I am happy they have acknowledged my new sober status and are now happy to invite me out I feel really sad at how much my drinking was effecting things in the past. I know I should be looking to the future and keep rubbing my key to remind myself to go forward but I cant seem to get over the bitter sweet feelings that the invite has churned up inside me !!!
    AF Since 2nd December 2013

Being af is not your punishment ! its your salvation !!:goodjob:

Diet Start

25th Feb 2014 10st 6lbs 3rd March 10st 1.5lbs

Dinner Date

Hi Poppy. I think you need to write out a few life truths:

- There is nothing you can do about the past.
    - Alcohol turns you into something you are not.
    - People avoided you when you were on AL, but they want you back now you are AF.

It's great news that your social life is picking up, but if you keep that nagging negativity in your mind you may never truly feel free. Work on accepting the truths and focus on making tomorrow a better day.

Comment

Dinner Date

Thank you for those words of wisdom Londoner very true . So glad to see you on here read your bi line I am the same as you but my 10 years had extended to over 35 years so stick with it as the more years you carry on drinking the worse the crap it brings with it will get. Wish I had found this site when I was your age mate ! thanks for the great words and keep up the good work !
      AF Since 2nd December 2013

Being af is not your punishment ! its your salvation !!:goodjob:

Diet Start

25th Feb 2014 10st 6lbs 3rd March 10st 1.5lbs

Comment

Dinner Date

Poppy - if I listed everything I was ashamed of or regretted during my drinking years, I could fill volumes. Enjoy what is being offered now. That is really all we have - the now. The past is gone. We can't change it. The future is unwritten. But today is all ours. Go out with your friends, and enjoy an AF evening. It's a gift to have your old friends stand by you. Accept it, move forward and most of all - have fun!
        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Dinner Date

Poppy, I'm totally happy for your invite and a but jealous! I lost almost every friend I had- drinking and non drinking and I has wonderful, loving friends too. I have my children so I'm blessed that way. Congrats on moving forward! :goodjob:
          :l
          On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
          *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Dinner Date

I have been in this situation. No one wanted me around when I was drinking because I was so loud and obnoxious.
            I just quietly enjoy any social occasion I get invited to now and think about how much everyone else is enjoying the new me.
            You are doing so great.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Dinner Date

I like how you have all posed the negative in the form of a positive. There is one thing that is very true and that is that we can't go back and change the past. Keep moving forward and be grateful for what we have - and now we have it SOBER. No more regrets. Way to go, Poppy.

Comment

Working...
              X