Brand new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new.

(sorry, this is long. It just felt good to say things I've never shared with anyone. Thank you for accepting it.)

Good morning. My name is Kensho (not really). I am brand new here. It was recommend that I post my story here.

I am a mother of two young children and a business owner, officing from home. I grew up in a family that appreciated moderate drinking, and didn't frown on a little more than moderate. No abuse, no alcoholism. The "acceptance for" and "celebration of" alcohol gave me the green light to imbibe without fear or much thought. From the age of 20 (now 38) I drank moderately. I drank because it helped with social and other anxiety, as well as depression.

8 years ago, when my son was born, life began to feel pretty hard. As a very independent person, I found myself with a very dependent little life. At the same time, I left the design firm I was at and started my own business. I found myself constantly overwhelmed with the responsibilities of a house, business and child... drinking more helped. In 2007, I wrote this during one of my ritual evening drinks:

I want to get fucked up
    Float, sail through space;
    Notes of liquid music
    Sound the rhythm of escape

I want to feel the fuzz
    The known numb, a tease
    Pressure finds an outlet
    And rhythm is release

Discord sounds appealing
    With the filter of a sip
    Red, thick wine
    Fill my mouth and stain my lips

7 years later, I am struggling with my habit. I consume 2-4 drinks per night, which is a recent increase. I still have considerable stress with my business, though it is successful. I have noticed no dramatic repercussions from my drinking. But yet: I distance myself from my husband and children, I am not fit and healthy like I used to be, I am more irritable, and I haven't felt 100% upon waking in many years. Most of all, I am terrified of the health consequences I am setting myself up for. My liver hurts, and my hormones seem to be really out of whack (could also be due to the 2-am-ers I frequently pull).

In 2011 I continued to recognize my drinking:

I drink and I think and appreciate
    My friends of the pete and the starch
    Such reliable and comforting allies
    As I make my feet do this march.
    I’m tired. I’m freyed and I’m worn
    I’m no match for the schedule I must
    2am battles of will and of wake
    My house is disorder and dust.
    My heart aches for the smiles of my children
    And to know what they love, why they laugh
    And it hurts that I work when they need me
    Through the tears and trials on their path.
    I make pretty and foolish amendments
    To the spaces of those I’ve just met
    Yet its my home that needs more the loving
    And my heart that is feeling regret.

(and I wrote this the same year...)

They feel second to tile and phone calls
    They are privy to my yelling voice
    They are directed in profitable tempo
    As I make others my daily choice.
    Dollars and stuff and pretty fake fluff
    My words try to teach them well
    But my actions say “not now!” and “hold on a moment”
    As I drink and I draft and I sell.

I wake up in the morning, ashamed of myself. I pull through the first hour and carry on with my day - typically successful with my client meetings and work. I never want a drink in the mornings, and midday is usually pretty positive for me. Yet every day at 2-4 pm I start to think about, and think about, and think about what I can drink. I'm so tired of this fight. Most days I give in and just buy the damn wine. Some days I hold out until after dinner and sneak whatever liquor from our basement cabinet that won't be noticed. Then I become tired, irritable, and I don't read as long to my children. If I go back to working at 9:00, I drink because I hate the fact that I'm working. If I don't work, I drink more because I feel guilty that I'm not working, or as a "reward" that I can relax. Then I fall asleep often not attending to the huge laundry pile or dishes, and certainly not my husband for a cuddle or alone time (I have no libido).

Occasionally over the past few years, I've had a good fight inside me:

A DANGEROUS FLIRT:
    You call for me
    Early in the day with a
    Provocative promise
    of guilty satisfaction.
    But I am better than you
    I am a fighter.
    The center of my core
    Greets you at my door
    and pushes back against
    your smooth intoxication.
    I will beat you.

Yet, here I am in 2014. Drinking every night, and sometimes as early as 2:00 in the afternoon.

I want to have a clear mind and a clean body. I want more than anything to be a "present" mother and wife and friend. I want to teach my children that alcohol is not a way to cope. I want to know that I am not willingly contributing to future health risks - I'm sure I've done some damage already. I want to be with myself and feel comfortable in my skin without the numb of a drink.

And I don't know how.
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Brand new.

Welcome Kensho, thank you for sharing your story, very poignantly expressed through your poetry.
    "A good garden may have some weeds"
    Thomas Fuller

Comment

Brand new.

Wow Kensho the longing for AF life really comes through in your writing. I just wanted to welcome you and send some support. Quitting drinking is not easy at first but this site will give you TOOLS and SUPPORT, both of which are crucial. It's ok to walk away from the bottle. Fear is usually what keeps us drinking years after we have begun to long for a purer life. It may not be easy at first but you will never, ever, ever regret quitting even for one second (would it be so precious if it was easy?). You deserve what you are about to start fighting for.
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Brand new.

Welcome
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Brand new.

Kensho - you're poetry is beautiful. A lot of what you wrote resonated with me - especially drinking more after kids. I think it is becoming a more common phenomenon that women with kids are finding "relief" (and alcoholism) through a bottle.

I came here 54 days ago and have remained sober the whole time. I recommend reading the ideas in the tool box (under monthly abstinence) and joining the newbies nest where there a lot of folks just starting out.

What finally clicked for me was total acceptance that I CANNOT drink and have the life I want. I would lose it all. Because I know I can't drink, I don't have that two o'clock battle with myself. I may sometimes feel like I want a drink, but I just have to fight the urge, rather than to decide not to drink every night. I don't know if that makes any sense...

Welcome - you'll find this a very helpful place.

Comment

Brand new.

This is a wonderful, supportive place. :welcome:
            Join us in the Newbies Nest.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Brand new.

Thankful

Thank you all for your amazing supportive words. For the first time in my life I feel welcomed to talk about my very private battle - and encouraged. Feeling so hopeful! Only had 1.5 drinks last night and I felt wonderful upon waking - and proud of myself.

Thank you all so much. :h
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Brand new.

I am so happy for you Kensho!! You are so worth it!
                "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
                ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

Brand new.

Kensho - welcome! MWO is like a big, warm hug. Arms to hold and soothe when you need it, to offer encouragement and hope, and most of all to accept us and give us a place to share our private battles. I felt so alone when I first came here and now I feel amongst friends. We 're here for you - you can do it.
                  Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Brand new.

Hi Kensho,
                    I've just registered 2 days ago and this is my first actual interaction, but your post touched me so much as I have little kids as well and feel exactly the same. By the way - your poetry is absolutely beautiful and I encourage you to keep it up, blessed talent.
                    May 2014 be for us the new slate we desire and MWO the program we deserve!

Comment

Brand new.

Welcome Kensho :-) & BoomBaby! I'm also a newbie, just about to hit the light off for the end of Day 2 AF. It's not been easy but here's to not having a drink tomorrow, and worrying about the next day when it comes. We can support each other, I keep reminding myself of all the problems and upsets alcohol has caused for me, over the years. I'm really looking forward to this mythical "restful sleep and clear head in the morning" I have yet to experience haha, although this morning it was good to not be hungover (am still a little foggy and anxious and very fatigued.) I am sure tomorrow will be a better day xxx

Comment

Brand new.

hello

Boombaby... it has been some time. I haven't forgotten your post. It felt good to hear someone going through similar things. I hope you are doing well.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Brand new.

I want more than anything to be a "present" mother and wife and friend.
                          Kensho - I can relate to much of what you have expressed here. My drinking over the years has been a very steady 3-6 drinks nightly with the vast majority of days drinking about 4-5 glasses of wine a night. I started thinking/obsessing about drinking the same time as you - if I was at work (out for me so that probably helped) then the minute I left - often stopping off on the way home to have a small single wine for the ride. Then drinking a bottle or most of a bottle when I got home. I have so much guilt for all I have neglected during this time. I frequently pray for help to be a better mother wife and friend but I know the change has to come from me and giving up AL is a big step toward that - AL makes me withdraw and go into my own self-centered world. It also becomes a huge habit that is very difficult to break. I have tried a few times and have always gone back to my usual drinking pattern that brings me back here after some time...usually after too many times waking up feeling like crap because I overdrank the night before. It doesn't feel good. It is so obviously bad and yet it is such a draw. What a struggle. And I've been thinking about (already) being tired of accounting every day here, etc. and that is where I know I cannot go because I will wind up going back - stay here, keep talking, keep reading - that is what we must do to beat this thing!!

I hope you are doing well - your post really resonated with me.

Comment

Brand new.

Hello Kensho, your poetry is riveting and very apt. You could really have a goal of creating a book of poetry for recovering problem drinkers... because that's what we are, Kensho; you and I. Our problem lies in only drinking 2 to 4 glasses of wine nightly so we excuse ourselves when our guard is down and pooh-pooh the goal of quitting. I, like you started my sober journey in 2008 and have been starting and stopping and journaling about conquering the beast.

One image that jump started my latest and final quit is imagining my grandchildren standing by my deathbed and asking me "Granny, what did you spend your life doing?" and I would have to answer "Trying to control my drinking." What a sad day that would be! The monkey we have on our back may not seem serious at some times, but there is so much more to accomplish in our spiritual, emotional, community lives that we are forced to keep on the back burner while we deal constantly with 'the beast'. Do yourself a favour and don't wait until you are my age and a grandmother; I am 57. Stop now. We are here for you and welcome you. Your poetry moved me; you are one of us.
                            "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                            Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                            X