20/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20/20

Did anyone catch tonights episode of 20/20? It was had a very interesting interview with Elizabeth Vargas. Just thought I'd throw that out there. She just came back from rehab for alcoholism. I believe if you just google her name you can catch the article.
    Kdog
    Reflect upon your present blessingings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some

20/20

Yep I saw it and thought it was going to be a longer piece on women and alcohol but it was interesting.
    Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

20/20

Dottie, I agree, I would have liked to have heard more of her story, but maybe she will inspire someone else to get help too!
      Kdog
      Reflect upon your present blessingings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some

Comment

20/20

I didn't see the episode but saw the interview with George S. She sounds like she is really white knuclkling it. When he asked her if it was hard, she answered that it is still really hard. And she relies on AA and sponsors when she has a trigger. That to me seems like the mindset AA puts people in. Just barely making it through each day, sounds awful. I would rather have the 2 to 3 glasses of wine a night that she says she had than go through that.

It is just my opinion and I know people in AA totally disagree that there is any other way, but AA, but this is the kind of thing that steers me clear of ever wanting to try AA. I know it's helped some, but I will always think there is another way.

Best of luck to her. She is very pretty and seems like a very nice person.

Comment

20/20

I watched this too. I think she's going through what everyone goes through in early sobriety. It's a one day at a time thing, and she's working through each day with the tools she's gained. I like how she had the counseling for the underlying issues she had. She's a great example for us, and every time someone like this shares their story, it minimizes the stigma of alcoholics.
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

20/20

J-vo, that's very true. If someone that successful, and clearly together and on top of things, can get caught in the snare of alcohol than virtually anyone can. I also do think it is women with children that are frequently trying to releive their stress by drinking secretly. She seemed a little white knuckling to me but how scary to come out on national tv and say all that! Frankly at 13 days I'm white knuckling it a bit myself.

Comment

20/20

J-Vo I think your right about women with children drinking more, it sure seems to me that we are the majority. I know for me it was but not until my youngest was in her teens and she caused me so much stress that I started drinking heavier than ever. Prior to that I always "thought" I had a handle on it, although I think I was a time bomb waiting to explode. I just thought good for her for going public like that, but I think it was probably more than just 2 glasses of wine an evening. But best of luck to her and to the rest of us on this site. Also if AA works, hey more power to her! What ever works for anyone is GREAT!
              Kdog

Comment

20/20

Opps, I meant Bastet not J-Vo..

Comment

20/20

I watched the interview and I was very impressed with her. I didn't think she was wihite knuckling at all. The first year after you get sober is tough. There are so many situations we drink thru and you have to relearn how to live without doing that. If AA is working for her that is wonderful. I personally didn't like AA but everyone is different and what works for some doesn't work for others. I don't understand why people have such a negative opinion of AA. It's a bunch of people in various stages trying to find a way out of addiction. Just like this site has all different kinds of people, so does AA. Each group in AA is different and there were groups I liked and ones I didn't. I just found Smart Recovery and the CBT approach a better fit for me. But AA has it's benefits too.

Whatever approach Elizabeth is taking, she seems very happy and I wish her success in this journey. She seems to have lots of support and that is huge in staying sober.
                  AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Working...
                  X