New Job advice required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Job advice required

Good evening all my super sober cyber buddies !!!. I am just preparing to start a new job tomorrow. I have been at home for the past year so a new begining for me . And a great thing that I will be doing it sober , no worries about missing days because of hangovers or under performing because I feel rough because of al. I will also be able to go on nights out with my new collegues if i want as I know that I wont have the fear of getting drunk and making a show of myself or offending a collegue ( in the past I just didn't go most of the time). My only small concern it how and when the question of drinking comes up how do I say tht I dont drink without drawing attention to it or making it an issue of it and certainly not ever disclosing that al has been a problem to me !! any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance guys !!
    AF Since 2nd December 2013

Being af is not your punishment ! its your salvation !!:goodjob:

Diet Start

25th Feb 2014 10st 6lbs 3rd March 10st 1.5lbs

New Job advice required

Congrats on your new job Pop and best of luck, though you will nail it so to speak. I think you should just say you dont drink, they dont know you from a bar of soap so they dont know your past. If you say you dont drink then the good thing is you never can while you are at any social events. There are people, suprisingly enough, that dont drink, never have and never will. We were not that lucky i suppose! I can imagine the stares you will get if you say you dont drink but i can also imagine the stares you would get if you said you had a drinking problem, blackouts and could never ever touch a drop again.

You will be fine and make us proud like you have already.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

New Job advice required

You are fortunate, new colleagues so no history.

I find it real easy....you simply say ' I don't drink'. Most people say nothing more about it. The odd person says 'what never?' To which the answer is a simple 'no'. There is no need for an explanation.

I sometimes for the sake of conversation say ' I quit a while back and feel so much better' but that is up to me.

I was at a wedding where someone ( who was tipsy) said ' I assume you will, at least, be toasting the bride and groom with a little champagne' ...... So, knowing he was a non- smoker, I took out my cigarettes and said ' oh ok...as long as you smoke a cigarette first!' :H:H

Comment

New Job advice required

where is my "like" button Kuya! Bet that sat him on his arse.

Comment

New Job advice required

Thanks guys and good one Kuya !!!! makes me feel confident to say I dont drink !!!! now feck off and mind your own business !!!! well maybe leave the last part out lol . Think the point I am making is this is my journey and want to embrace that and not feel I have to make up excuses or lies or have to explain to anybody about my af status !!

Diet Start

Comment

New Job advice required

And the point is Pop you dont drink so you are not lying at all.

Comment

New Job advice required

available;1619246 wrote: where is my "like" button Kuya! Bet that sat him on his arse.
              In fairness to him, he chuckled and said 'point taken', and that was the end of it.

Was a brilliant night...I danced like a mad woman...outlasted everyone.....then drove home....SOBER

Comment

New Job advice required

Only down side to remaining sober at event you realise what idiots al turns people into and what rubbish they talk !!! one of the many up sides is your brain is so much sharper than the drinkers so you are brilliant at general knowledge quizzes !!!

Diet Start

Comment

New Job advice required

Hi, Poppy--

Congratulations on your new job! I've taken to saying (believe me, among my friends and family it is BIG news that I don't drink) I stopped for a cleanse and felt so good I just stay off of it for now. I had a good friend and drinking buddy tell me that I was an inspiration to her and her because I was so "strong," (they are more moderate than I was) and a family member told me that he wished he could be as "good" as me!? Hah - if they only knew how much I drank alone AFTER the party...

I know once an acquaintance quit drinking I kept quizzing him about how, why, when, really? forever? - I did that because it never occurred to me that he had a problem. He was an athlete and I just thought he quit because he was so healthy - I was honestly trying to find the inspiration from him without any judgement. Now I know what the probable truth was - he probably thought I was an ass.

Kuya - I love the new me who gets to party and have fun AND drive home and sleep well.

Good luck, Poppy - you'll kick a$$!

Comment

New Job advice required

Thanks my quittie Pav cant wait for tomorrow will be exciting its a job i have wanted for a while will be there for 6 months then on to something else at last i get to be the sober clever me !!!!

Diet Start

Comment

New Job advice required

Poppy - congrats on the new job. It sounds like an exciting opportunity. I don't think you need to offer any explanations unless you want to. As I get older, I notice that many people are choosing not to drink AL anymore. I went to a New Year's Eve party this year and was amazed at the number of people who didn't drink for one reason or another - driving, health, personal choice - so I felt in good company. Everyone had a great time. There was definitely a "live and let live" attitude.

I've noticed it even more so at work events. It's almost odd to see someone get thoroughly drunk anymore, and it's always talked about later! So this is a great opportunity to start fresh as the cool, non-drinking coworker.
                      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Working...
                      X