Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Another Newbie!

Hey All!

Kudos to all for making this such a comfortable space.

A short bit about me . . .

Own my company, have a lovely wife and 4 great, talented kids. Nice house, nice neighborhood and all that shiza. Have never had a DUI, have never hit anyone, have never lost a job or anything like that. Don't drink all day and for the most part not alone. In short the consequences of my drinking have been relatively minor as--especially--compared to others. BUT, I often awake with a raging headache, I often am startled awake at 3:00 AM, I often can not remember all the details of a conversation I had with my wife (BTW, this annoys her to no end). Since I own my own business I often knock off early to stop at the bar and "fix" the aforementioned headache . . . in short, there is no doubt in my mind that I have a problem with alcohol. It is like a once awesome relationship has turned into this awful, toxic thing.

I have 2 main fears: The first is that I am on the long road to perdition and and losing everything eventually--even if that process might take 10-20 years, or more; and the second is that somehow I could do and be so much more--a better husband, a better parent, a better freaking human being if I was not drinking as much.

I also have long suspected that there was just something wrong/off in my brain chemistry that was at fault, because I have absolutely no other reason to drink. No childhood trauma, no lack of personal or business success (in fact, a great day at the office is a great day to knock off early and get sideways!) really no reason other than I love what alcohol does to my little head.

I have been to a few AA meetings--and while I am cognizant of all the great work that AA does--I simply just could not relate. Those people are a mess. And while I am fearful that if I keep on (see above) I might one day get myself in such a state, I am not there yet and the whole experience just made me feel less able to face my issue and not more. And, it just seemed that while I most certainly and surely have a problem relationship with alcohol, it was of a different type and/or stage than many I saw there.

Which is why I am blown away to have found this program. Here is a way to effectively and realistically address my issue that 1) tackles the actual underlying brain chemistry issues and 2) offers a holistic approach--as believe it or not--outside of my drinking I am actually kinda of a health nut. and 3) does so in a private yet comforting environment. WOW! It's a trifecta.

So, I am sold. Downloaded the book and read the whole thing today at the office. Ordered the starter pack + CD's and can't wait till it gets here. My main questions revolve around the Topamax:

1. I really do not want to involve my Dr. in this. With that said has anyone had any good success or any recommendations for an online pharmacy? I notice there is a link on the site to "River Pharmacy"???
    2. Is #1 really stupid? I am in great health--already workout regularly and should not have any problems/side effects, or they should be slim to none.
    3. Or #3, given my somewhat "light case" of the alcohol bug, would the supps be sufficient to ward off the cravings?

Any help/insight would be awesome!

Just Another Newbie!

Hi, DJ

I quit without help from a doctor. In fact, MWO has been my only support and so far, that has been enough. The only supplement I used to deal with cravings was L-glutamine so I can't comment on the medications.

If you haven't stopped by the Newbies Nest, that is a great place to hang out at the beginning and the Toolbox is full of ideas for making your plan. The links are given below.

:welcome:

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

Whoops--sorry Sugar--I thought I was in the Newbie Nest!!

And thanks for the input--no doc and supps only for you. Awesome work!

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

This place is confusing at first! Just ask questions and someone will answer.

You're in your own thread here, which is fine, but there is much more traffic in the nest.

Hope to see you over there!

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

Ok. So if I want to post in that thread do i select "post reply" in the upper left?

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

Hi Daft and welcome. I gave up 1-2 bottles of wine per night, 7 nights per week, 52 weeks of the year cold turkey. Not easy but my time was right in myself and my head especially. I was a very good functioning alcoholic or so i thought but the pieces like you say were beginning to fall apart. Today life is good with no al. Everyone is different on here and have some incredible stories and successes in giving up al, some are still struggling with this but at the end there is always light.

Good luck and yes you have hit the trifecta being on MWO. this is my only support network also apart from my 4 children.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

And should I repost over there?

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

DaftJunk;1619792 wrote: Ok. So if I want to post in that thread do i select "post reply" in the upper left?
                Click on my link to the newbies Nest. Once you are in there, go to the last page. At the bottom left of that last page will be the Reply button.

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

Welcome Daft...u have found a wonderful place and so many supportive folks...come on over to the newbies nest and get acquainted.
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

DaftJunk;1619794 wrote: And should I repost over there?
                    That would be good.

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

Hey dp welcome to MWO

Like you no tragedies had befallen my life but I had been drinking half a litre of vodka EVERY day for 23 years and knew it was only a matter of time till something broke! I was feeling crappy everyday but was a functional alcoholic. Good at my job, good with my kids but I knew I was only running at half speed.

Typical of type A personalities.

Anyway you have ordered the supplements .....may I recommend that you take a look at this site

Seven Weeks to Sobriety | Health Recovery Center Incorporated

The book will help you understand the type of drinker you are and they sell a wonderful six week starter to get your body and mind in better order to quit.

I used no meds and suggest you try without first as all meds have SEs so why not choose the simplest option first.

You don't mention how much you drink or whether you have tried to quit before, so I cannot be sure that you can safely quit without supervision......but it sounds like you can.

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

Hey DJ, I only used this website for moral support, this group of people played a major role in my quit and then in my decision to stay sober period. How much are you drinking? Do you drink daily? I am asking this to see if might have withdrawal.
                        AF since 10/20/2013
                        Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                        Meat free since 09/20/2008
                        ---------------------------------------
                        With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Just Another Newbie!

DaftJunk;1619769 wrote: Hey All!

Kudos to all for making this such a comfortable space.

A short bit about me . . .

Own my company, have a lovely wife and 4 great, talented kids. Nice house, nice neighborhood and all that shiza. Have never had a DUI, have never hit anyone, have never lost a job or anything like that. Don't drink all day and for the most part not alone. In short the consequences of my drinking have been relatively minor ...
                          !
                          Daft I could have wrote most of this 15 years ago. Fast forward and I still could have written this except I was drinking a bottle of vodka a day and quickly losing my grip on all that I held dear. How fortunate that you have the insight to recognize the future and are taking the right steps. No need for me to add to the suggestions already offered. Regarding your question on Brain chemistry check out this link from the NIH. NIAAA Publications
                          Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Working...
                          X