Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to sobriety and looking for advice/options

Hi - newbie here.

I've been a drinker for 25 years, sometimes more heavily than others, but alcohol has always been a constant in my coping day-to-day.

Over the past year I've strung together some free days and even managed 14 days in succession which was huge for me. Now I'm ready to commit to taking sobriety seriously and not allow myself to get out of control. Call it maturing out of it, or simply realising the costs are greater than the gains, I've had enough and need some help to move forward.

Have been doing a whole lot of reading over the past year, 12-step orientated and various other methods for achieving and maintaining sobriety, and I've developed my own opinions on what I believe my drinking is and what it isn't.

I attended an AA meeting last night, even after reading a lot about the organisation and not feeling particularly at ease with much that I've read. I don't believe in God, but I would consider myself spiritual to a degree, so I was really hoping the group focus wouldn't be pushing the religious or Higher Power aspect. I was hoping the reports of rhetoric and one-liners e.g. "In sobriety your alcoholism is doing pushups" was a joke also. It wasn't.

The meeting I attended had really friendly people, all about 20+ years older than myself though, which made me feel slightly nervous and out of place. I know there are meetings out there with more varied age groups, I just happened to land in this one as it was close to home and not in a church.

There was a whole lot of God focussed talk initially, the room was strung with banners proclaiming steps, traditions and promises (which was a bit cultish at a glance) and then they jumped into sharing.

Each person's story was basically a romantic ode to their days of drinking (down to reminiscing how beautiful the gold beer cans or their fave glasses to imbibe from were!) followed by tales of how they hit a bottom and ended up in AA and were saved. The more they talked about drinking - the more it made me WANT to drink. It was painful in the extreme for so many reasons.

Some of these people had been attending AA for more than 40 years. I wonder, in all sincerity, who could possibly devote their life to consistently reliving traumas past and obsessing over alcohol to that degree? Perhaps it is cathartic to them? Perhaps it makes them feel less insecure and lifts weight from their shoulders? Whatever it is, I found it incredibly sad and disheartening and I do not want to be a part of that. Unfortunately AA is not for me.

I can't at all understand calling oneself an alcoholic even though nobody in the room (with the exception of myself) had picked up a drink or drug in so many years! How strange. I thought, if they say this is a disease like cancer, then why do cancer patients in remission not get up and state "I'm Jane and I've got cancer" in group? If you haven't had a drink in years, you are no longer an alcoholic. Is my reasoning on this unsound?

I found it very confusing, overwhelming in the most baffling way and ultimately depressing as hell.

So, I guess what I've gathered from my reading, my own views and the experience with this group last night is:
    • I don't believe substance abuse is a disease, part of our DNA or genetic makeup.
    • I don't believe I am powerless when it comes to my substance abuse and I take full responsibility for it.I don't believe AA is the only thing that can assist me to overcome substance abuse.

I in no way want to offend anyone here with my feelings and interpretations of what AA is about. I am simply stating my experience, limited as it may be. Whatever works for people is what works for them and I respect that 100%. I'm truly open to anyone in AA who is able to drop some knowledge on me that I may be misunderstanding to please respond.

I guess the main crux of my posting is to ask if anyone has any advice on alternatives to AA? I think being in touch with like-minded people who are or have struggled with what I am going through is certainly an important part of my achieving lasting sobriety. I don't many friends as I have effectively lost touch with so many people over the years, and of the few I do have, they don't have drinking problems.

Are there other groups or communities that have been helpful to anyone here? What has worked for you?

Thanks for reading
    Jera

Hi NR and welcome.

Well i have had no experience with AA and i am of the opinion of "each to their own". If it works stick to it and if it doesnt try something else. I classify myself as an alcoholic at the moment, maybe with more time af then that will change but i dont go and introduce myself as "hi i'm Ava, im an alcoholic". Everyone uses their own term on here also. I love alcohol but al doesnt love me, or it does way too much to make my life meaningful with it in it.

I started here on MWO in 2011 and finally after more drinking than not have decided that it is my decision and choice only to give up al. This is my AA, this is where i get my support and guidance and acceptance for who i am and what i am. I am a drinker, end of sentence. I am not a normal drinker, if i was i would not be on this site. It is a battle to not drink forever and that is the hardest part to accept that i can never drink again. So that is why i classify myself as an alcoholic at this stage.

The newbies nest is a good place to get to know people, we all have a different story but one with al involved in our lives.

I am sure that others will chime in with a welcome and advice but its a bit of a quiet time on the nest atm so even if i cant help you, welcome anyways.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi NR,welcome. I'm very new here too. Not even a week. I can't fault anything you say. I have no experience with AA, but it sounds a bit rigid, inflexible.

I have to agree with Ava, She's very wise, to the point but will listen to your point of view, as others here will. I agree that you have to find your own way, but at the same time it's good to talk to others. The beauty of this internet forum is that it's anonymus. Makes an AA meeting with a group of 20 other people, face to face, a paradox to the point of absurd.

Obviously, there has to be discipline and desire to succeed. And only you can do that. But chatting to others daily, or whenever, is beneficial, for me at least. For most and probably all who succeed I'm certain.

Stick around, you have nothing to lose. Plenty of friendly peers and mentors.

Comment

Oh, and NR, I think setting a short term goal is of real mental benefit. Mine is 3 months. It really takes the pressure off. I might go beyond that. I think to say I quit, never again is more pressure than anyone needs. Works for me so far.

Comment

Hi NR and welcome. I am intrigued with your post. I always enjoy hearing different opinions and theories on addiction. It's obvious that you have done some serious research. I am more in the genetic/biochemical camp. I had to correct some serious nutritional deficiencies including a genetic predisposition towards hypoglycemia, plus completely overhaul my diet in order to quash the urge to drink. Even now, if I stop being vigilant in this area, the anxiety returns (underlying cause) and the craving to self-medicate becomes overwhelming. Of course, that's an oversimplification, but it's worked pretty well for me.

However, you and I do agree on one major point: I can't afford to believe that I am powerless over alcohol. That's why AA won't work for me. In fact, every sober day, every time I just say NO, I feel more empowered.

You may want to read. "Kick the drink easily" by Jason Vale. He talks about changing your thoughts towards AL. He also validate your point that once you quit drinking, you are no longer an alcoholic, and don't need to be in recovery for the rest of your life. I'm still struggling with that one, since I know that it only takes one for me to tumble down the rabbit hole again. But I did learn quite a bit about how AL companies spin the truth about drinking.

I am certainly not trying to bash AA. It works for lots of people. But there are many of us here that came to MWO precisely because we needed an alternative to AA. So you are already in a good place. Read as much as possible, and post often. You will find that the people here are some of the kindest, most supportive folks you will ever meet. Others will be along soon to give advice. All the best.
          Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Jera (newrose), I don't really have any advice to give but to say that your post spoke to me and I agree with pretty much everything you said.
            I too, tried AA, and it didn't work for me?not only that but I met some pretty pushy people that made me want to get as far away from the meetings as possible. It got to a point where when I couldn't go to for a legitimate reason the people there would text me and say I need to reprioritize my life and I was going downhill. Really? I am not saying that everyone in AA is like that whatsoever, I just didn't have a great experience with it at all. And I do wholeheartedly believe that AA isn't the only way to go - and there are many different ways of getting sober.
            Regardless, welcome to MWO, stick close, I enjoyed reading your post. And hopefully someone comes along with some good advice. Other than what has been posted already.

Bri.

Comment

Jera,
              I also tried AA and didn't like the cult-like environment and behaviors. But I do agree with some of their philosophies as far as drink goes. If you look at powerlessness in the way I do, then I am powerless over alcohol. After I take the first drink, I am powerless against alcohol. I have power if I don't put it to my lips most of the time. But after it gets into my system, it's out of my hands and into Al's.

This is a great site with so many different ideas on what alcoholism is - a disease or not a disease. Whatever our beliefs, there is support here. The toolbox is something you should visit if you feel you need support and ideas on how to quit drinking. There is a common belief here, which is that Alcohol drunk in excess is not healthy and does not lead to a fulfilling life. A common goal: live without alcohol so that we can be the best we can be. Good luck to you and welcome!
              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi Newrose and welcome! I have zero experience with AA myself. This site has provided me with both the TOOLS and SUPPORT I have found necessary for my quit. Astronauts don't have to reinvent and recreate all the technology that allows humans to go into space; they use what has already been created. Similarly, this site is a wealth of knowledge of people who have attained long term sobriety. You just have to read a lot and pick out the pieces that work for you.

I do believe that I am powerless over alcohol, but I'm much more interested in how powerful and fulfilling my life is without it. It's not about deprivation at all.

If you google "51 things about sobriety by spiritual river" you will find an article that may be of use to you. Glad you found us! :welcome:
                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Hi Newrose , I agree with you on the power thing . For me I want to find him a nice comfortable pair of cement shoes and kick his arse into the Harbour .
                  BND
                  Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
                  Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

newrose, welcome! I didn't go to WW for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. I don't like the word alcoholic. I might even be one but I don't want to say it out loud. I came here to MWO because I knew I was drinking too much and that I couldn't seem to stop. I was searching for quizzes when I stumbled into MWO. I read, I posted, I learned. I quit? It's been nearly 9 months and I have never felt better about myself.

I suggest you use MWO in the same way others use AA. We are a group of like minded people who want to help each other. Open up a little and you'll find lots of support. Our meetings are 24/7!

Check out the newbies nest, and the toolbox. Get started on a plan. Looking forward to getting to know you!
                    Newbies Nest
                    Toolbox
                    My accountability thread

Comment

Hi Newrose:

I agree with June23 above...Yes MWO is 24/7...and?.....its truly anonymous ....AA isn't HAHA

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcomes! I love that there are a few Aussies here too. I'm in Sydney myself. Lovely rainy day here... just awesome for nesting on the couch and watching movies. I'm watching the Alien trilogy at the moment while checking replies. NERD.

Available

I've posted this same message on a few communities I found while looking about for online groups and this one looked very active and had some great advice and general info. I lurked for a while to see what the group was about and I really like the dynamic of people not pushing simply one agenda for getting clean.

If anyone's interested I've posted this on a forum on Reddit and have received some brilliant replies about AA and what it means to different people. It's been enlightening and I'm not closed-minded to giving another group a shot and see how it pans out if I can avoid the religious/powerless aspect of it.

* Apparently I can't post a link yet as I only have 1 previous post on this forum? I'll make another with the link to the Reddit thread if anyone is interested.

Petrelhead

I too have committed to 90 days. At the AA meeting they asked me to attend 90 meetings in 90 days. That sounded exhausting and over the top. No can do. I'm looking forward to talking with folks here and learning more about what is working for them to be able to add things to my own toolbox. Good luck to you!

MossRose

Interesting - what have you cut out of your diet that has helped with the urge to drink? I'm open to suggestions. I too suffer from anxiety, brought on by depression, so I've been taking some medication for the last few months that seems to be helping me ease off on the negative self talk and move forward into making better decisions. I don't intend to take it indefinitely, just as long as I need it to assist me in getting free of alcohol and cigarettes.

I've read Jason Vale's book and it was fantastic. Really helped solidify some of my thinking.

Briseus

"It got to a point where when I couldn't go to for a legitimate reason the people there would text me and say I need to reprioritize my life and I was going downhill." I would find that so ridiculously intrusive. I really value my own space and I'm a real homebody. I hate to be hassled to attend a party with friends - let alone go to an hour long meeting every other day to address my drinking! That sort of behaviour is extremely off-putting to me.

j-vo

I agree about the lack of control after that first initial drink is in my system - I just feel that relates more to the responsibility of not picking up a drink in the first instance. I wrote this to a Redditor that addressed my problem with the AA notion of powerlessness issue:

"I guess that leads into the responsibility I mentioned in my post - I don't feel I'm powerless if I have choice. If I choose to drink then continue on until 2 bottles of red are dry I picked up that first drink and lost my power with that initial decision. I know once I have one it invariably becomes many so I need to learn to choose to act responsibly. History has taught me the hard lessons of ignoring responsibility and poor choices - I can use my power to not have that first drink.

I simply don't feel any need to hand that responsibility to anyone or anything other than myself as ultimately I alone have the choice to make."

Pinecone

"I do believe that I am powerless over alcohol, but I'm much more interested in how powerful and fulfilling my life is without it. It's not about deprivation at all. " I agree I'll check out the Spiritual River link you suggested. Thanks!

Bran new day

LOL! That cracked me right up

3June2013

Thanks - the reason I initially posted in all 3 of the most appealing (to me) communities is because I liked what the people were about. I love the diversity of thinking within this group and look forward to getting to know people here. I'll jump into the toolbox and Newbie's this afternoon. Congrats on the 9 months too!

Comment

As mentioned in my previous post - I couldn't yet post a link as I had too few posts on the forum.

The Reddit thread is here if you'd like to take a look at some of their replies - many of them have mentioned SMART as an option as well as other CBT routes.

New to sobriety and looking for advice/options : stopdrinking

Comment

If you're looking for a natural alternative to prescription meds for anxiety, try L-theanine 200mg capsules. It's the amino acid found in green tea that helps you relax.
                            Take them as needed - there's no risk of overdose, drug interactions or dependence. I was taking hydroxyzine for my anxiety after I quit, which worked but made me drowsy, dizzy and foggy. I switched to the theanine and not only did it help with my anxiety, it also seemed to make me more focused and no dizziness. The only side effect I've noticed is that I shouldn't take one too close to bed time because it seems to affect my sleep.
                            You can get them at any health food store but be sure to get the ones that have green tea extract in them as well because without it, L-theanine doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier as readily. I might also suggest milk thistle to help with liver detox/recovery. Hope I've been at least a little helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation tf3030.

I'm currently taking 10mg (down from 20mg) of Lexapro and although I don't like taking an anti-depressant, it has helped immensely when I was in a rather awful state a few months prior.

I'll give the L-theanine a try once I move off this medication in a few months. I'll also go grab some milk thistle this week along with the B1, Vitamin E and Calcium/Magnesium/Vit-D I already take.

Comment

Working...
                              X