What its like to be 30 days booze free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being nudged by such a wonderful message from Byrdie this morning ( Thank you dear ), I decided to write what my experience has been like going 30 days AF. This is approximately my fifth 30 day milestone in the last nine months, and I am happy to say that in these last nine months?...six of them have been AF. I?m 52...and have been a drinker for 30 years?...the last 10 a daily drinker. It was only four years ago that I thought I may have a problem?..but as usual put it off and survived in that ohhhhhh soooooo comfortable state of denial?.not even picking up a book or wanting to address the obvious...that I had a problem controlling booze.

It dawned on me sometime mid 2012 that I basically woke up hungover?...crawled through the day in withdrawal state?.only looking forward to 5pm?.then 430pm...then 4pm?.and then?...a few times 330pm.... enjoyed a very generous happy hour (s) then wine with dinner and then pass out. OH-OH?..not a good pattern. In late 2012-early 2013 I had a few misfortunes?.and got taken for money and was in an unhealthy relationship. I handled them ok but kept asking myself ?how the hell did I get myself in this mess?? I had to be honest with myself...I got me in the mess...and booze led me there. The booze screwed my judgment...and generated a huge self confidence decline, and also robbed me of a very fit body in only a few years. The tailspin can be very fast and furious my friends...be wary of this.

Took me five months to garner the strength to enter first rehab...busted out half way through because of my ego. Re-entered rehab three months later and stuck it out. The four relapses since that time have been less and less...the latest only four days Late January 2014.

What I have learned??

#1. Park the ego at the door?.this is serious business and the ramifications of daily drink are deadly. My relapses were a result of not listening to advice. Listening to abstainers has helped me.

#2. One must get educated on how this substance works ...and the dangers that will eventually wreck you and make you miserable at best. Yes...daily drinking?s best case scenario is that you will end up miserable?...very soon. The worst?.....early miserable death! In between consequences?......all kinds of physical and mental problems. Ive read about 15-20 books thus far and have a good handle on the subject...this has helped me.

#3. I?ve learned to respect and analyze all substances entering my body. Coffee is gone now and I truly feel better. Meals are properly prepared with high organic veggie content. I do cheat with sweets and ciggies?.and they must go as well...and will soon. I have been on a high intake supplement program...I truly feel that these have helped immensely.

#4. Stick with a support group...and write like hell---anything and everything. We are all in this together and contributing to this group helps me to ditch my ego...lets my true feelings flow and practise gratitude?.which?...is very important..Why?..because I am grateful now that Im AF?.and dont feel that I have lost anything from AL. Once I got my head around the concept of being thankful for being AF?.things got easier?.denial went away?.my mood improved...and I stopped romanticizing about a nice glowing glass of red. Yes...get rid of that romance crap?.AL is a killer!...dressed in red! lol

Heres what Ive gained in 30 days?..

#1?.Great restful sleep---every night and now having pleasant dreams. This only occurred around day 20...so newbies?.....be patient.

#2?.My jitters, shakes, paranoia, slothiness, bloatedness, foggy brain---GONE!

#3?.My mood is nice and smooth now with others. Wayyyyyyy less irritable.

#4?.Fitness levels are up by about 300% Resting heartrate around 54-60....and I smoke! Before my heartrate was like--in the high 80?s. Blood pressure back to normal.

#5?.Optimism has increased alot??.and will increase further Im sure.

#6?.I look better?.a female youngster commented to me yesterday))))

How I will get to 60 days??

#1..Respect?..I will listen to advice from All here on MWO and I will respect that this alcohol is a very dangerous and vicious substance. Im not out of the woods by any stretch.

#2..One day at a time. I will do two or three small things each day to enhance my recovery.

#3..Mindfulness?.I will think about all items going into my body..even though I cheat.

#4..I will exercise every day...even if its a few minutes.

#5.. I will check in with MWO each day and be available for all my precious friends here

#6.. I will read something about alcohol abuse every day.

#7.. I will not consider this a chore or a drag?.Hell?.Im free of alcohol today. Thank god!

#8..If I have a thought or romance idea about booze...I will immediately kill it. NOW!

Advice for newbies?..

Its a process...always keep trying..it works if you work it.

Day one to day five is a bitch?..take very good care of your soul these days
    Read and write like crazy...you will learn some gems! We are all here to learn and help.

Consider supplements and go decaf if you can...calms the nerves and lessons cravings big time!

Try and strive for a sense of gratitude?.MINDSHIFT?.you?re not losing..your gaining each day!

Dont set big goals...keep it small and simple.

Try and compile a list why sobriety is sooo much better. My list is longggggggggg.

As long as you are trying...you are gaining?...even with relapses?..you will soon be AF.

I am not giddy by any means...Im just feeling alot better?.and Im comfortable with my MWO friends...and I?m getting used to being AF. Its one day at a time towards day 60.
    :thanks:

Lead a wonderful post and so very true, its not an easy journey and each day is different and as long as we do not reach for a glass it is a good day.

Getting to know everyone on here and making friends takes a bit of time as so many people come and go but these friendships are lasting and full of understanding of what we are going through.

You are sounding so very strong and determined, to me its like a switch has switched and i really dont need al in my life anymore. So many positives being af as you have stated.

Keep going it only gets better. xx
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Lead what a wonderful post !! This deserves to be in toolbox
      Rahul
      --------------------------------------------
      Rewiring my brain ... done ...
      Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
      Rebooting ... done ...
      Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Nice post, Lead. I agree with Rahul that it is Toolbox-Worthy .

I'm not surprised to see you here at day 30 - you've had the kind of attitude and approach that lead to success from the first post of yours that I saw.
        Keep your head where it is right now and I bet you'll be fine. And it just gets better and better.

Congratulations on 30 days!

Comment

Well said...thanks for sharing!

Comment

Nicely done. It sounds like you are getting your life back. Good job!!!!!!!
            ?Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.?

― John Wayne

Comment

Congratulations and thanks for sharing this!! I'm trying to prevent going into that tailspin!

Comment

Here it is, Lead! A wonderful post, full of great advice. I concur, put it in the toolbox!

It has been a pleasure to work this journey with you.

xo

Comment

Lead congratulations on 30 days. Also on taking your life back, no hangovers, a good night's sleep, and a posative frame of mind.:wave:
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Great post, you will inspire others with this! Congratulations on your success!
                    Newbies Nest
                    Toolbox
                    My accountability thread

Comment

Lead,
                      What a wonderful post! You sound so great and I loved all of your lists of what you gained and learned! So happy for you. And I also like that you addressed newbies. Many that have never attempted to go AF don't know where to start, and you've given them easy and attainable goals.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Lead,
                        Great post, your positive attitude and actions are the reason you have made it this far. Loved your insight regarding relationship issues and booze. So true. We make bad judgments under the influence. Your are smart and resourceful.
                        Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Working...
                        X