Summerings new beginning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have finally decided to do more than just wish for better control over my drinking and start to take some steps to acheiving this goal .
    First thing I need to do is be honest with myself and stop thinking I can have control because I don't . I need to just quit and leave the drinking alone !
    Some of the steps I will be taking:
    There is a group at my Church that I'm going to sign up for .
    I'm gonna come here everyday and keep learning from others.
    Make plans for the weekend as they are the toughest times for me .
    So thats my new beginning ...I'm feeling a little scared but also very excited with my new path .

Hi Summer and welcome. Really at the end of the day life is so much better af and yes it is hard, damn hard to begin with but each day af is a day to be proud of. Being honest is a total must and admitting you are an alcoholic (i am) is the start of acceptance. I cant drink, i'd like to but i cant, end of story.

Keep posting on here and the Newbies Nest is a great place, someone is always around for support. Dont be scared be happy that you are starting on a journey that is so worth it each and every day.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi Summering and welcome!

It IS exciting! Don't let any fear hold you back from your decision. Al will try to barter with you at first but you have to recognize it for what it is, more of the same. Heading out into AF life does not need to be overwhelming. You will find TOOLS and SUPPORT here on this site. I believe those are game changing elements of a solid quit for those who are serious. AF life is a beautiful thing. I think you will come to look forward to your weekends as a period of rest and calm, a way to recharge yourself, not destroy yourself. There are a lot of great folks here, and we know what it's like. I'm glad you found this place. :welcome:
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Welcome Summering! 'ditto' to what Ava and Pinecone have said...stay around here - it is a great resource and wonderful to share with others who are in similar situations. You won't regret what you are doing! It is not easy and you need to stay strong and remember every day what you are doing and why you are doing it!

Comment

Thank you so much for the wonderful welcome I've been getting in here ...really is helping me knowing I'm not alone . It's been a long time coming...reaching out for help ..always ashamed that I can't do this on my own ...my husband always looking at me with disgust and telling me to just stop and feelpng like a failure when I could not .But today is a new day and I'm really feeling good about being AF . Spring is here and it's all about new beginnings and what a great one for me and my family .

Comment

Welcome Summering

Pinecones advice is SPOT ON! Ashamed you cant do it on your own?....neither can the rest of us...so you have come to the right place. Just take super good care of yourself these first few weeks....and trust that the fog clears by then and at that time you will have read a lot here. Keep posting and reading...MWO is a very nice place to nest.

Comment

Well today the sun is shinning so I went for a nice long walk with my dog , made me realize how many walks I've missed being too hungover . I'm actually looking forward to this weekend I'm feeling confident that this is my time . I even booked a two night stay (Sun.Mon) at a resort I could never afford ..they are having a deal for locals for off season . Like I said I could never afford this place , it was built for the rich and famous . Looking forward to it , but have realized I will be so far out of my element that I would normally drink to over come these feelings , but at the same time realize if I was to drink I would not enjoy this experiance . So I'm just gonna go and enjoy the pools , spa and amazing room and celebrate my first weekend sober in along time .

Comment

Welcome Summer!

I'm chiming in with the other wonderful friends here to let you know you've got my support and encouragement too! You're off to a great start with your plan. Enjoy your spa getaway which sounds wonderful.

It wasn't very long ago that I too was in your shoes. My husband actually left - not only due to my drinking but that was a MAJOR reason. Chardonnay had become my lover, friend, crutch, celebration - you name it - my wine was always there for me. And ruining everything meaningful to me. And ruining me.

My wake up call was the day he left. I found MWO the next day and through the love (wonderful, honest, brutal and inspiring) here I will celebrate 50 days AF tomorrow!

The good that has resulted - OMG - too much to go into here. My husband is back and we are actively working on the relationship. I don't know where it will go, but I am sooo much better equipped to decide and handle now. I sleep better. I look okay when I wake up (as opposed to looking like crap every day.). I remember everything - what I ate last night, who I talked to, what I said, the movie I watched, etc. I feel better and have lost six lbs. Maybe most important is that I feel joy and gratitude again. And that builds everyday. It's exhilarating.

But I don't take that for granted. I may not post everyday or as much as I did my first few weeks, but I come here everyday, many times. Brydie, Lav, Ava, Pav, J-Vo, K9, Poppy, Mamabear, and so many others (okay so maybe I don't remember everything :H) offer incredible support. Read everything they post!

You can do this. And we're here to help!
                Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                X