Just my own thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my own thoughts...

I did a bit of rambling the other day. I didn't know if I was going to post it but then thought, what the heck...
    It's a little long but just wanted to air it out there...for my own minds sake.

I am coming up on thirty days. This has been my 2nd longest time sober in about 4-5 years.
    I remember the last time I went 30 days and it was a bit of a struggle to say the least. This time it feels a lot different but I don't want to push it.
    But it does...I can't deny that.
    My cravings aren't as strong as they were about two years ago when I tried 30 days...then I struggled through each day.
    This time I wake up looking forward to each day. I look forward to the things that I can accomplish while sober.
    And when I do struggle with cravings I remember how shitty I feel after that first drink. Guilty. Tired.
    I feel the hint of how crappy it'll be if I start all over again and I am than able to avoid it.
    I love going to bed sober. This is one of the things I definitely look forward to. I love being able to read all the books that I have now and remember what it is that I read!
    I love that I am losing weight (slowly but surely).
    That I can retain more information now that I am not perpetually drunk.
    I don't want to go back to daily drinking now knowing how much damage I was causing my brain. My mind. My body.
    I now have more time to do things. Spend time with my partner. My puppies who need me (I was there for them before sure, but never "there"). I can study for school with the extra time I now have. I can make better food choices. I feel more energetic and awake - although I have days where I am just exhausted but I am okay with that.
    I can remember movies, conversations, emails, arguments and everything else without drawing a blank when thinking back on it because I no longer have black outs.
    I CAN survive without booze. I don't NEED it. I don't. I can have fun without it. Why is drinking fun anymore?? I only drank because I felt that (small) thrill of that first drink. That warmth when I had that first drink but after that first drink I couldn't get that feeling back anymore and so I just drank more and more. I drank to get rid of my anxiety and sadness where the next day I only felt a helluva lot worse. I am able to deal with my emotions properly now and in healthier ways.
    What a waste of time it was trying to figure out my next fix. It really was. When I was drinking I didn't think of anything else because I was numb to it all and only drank more and when I wasn't drinking I only thought more about drinking and how I am going to afford more booze or how I will get it. What a waste of life.
    I won't lie. I do think about it every day. I drank for years. When I see people drinking or talking about drinking that voice creeps up and tries to convince me that I am doing good and I obviously have no problem but I did and I do or else I wouldn't be here in the first place.
    I simply wouldn't be writing on forums, or seeing counsellors or journaling about my drinking if I didn't have a problem.
    I have come to realize that you can deal with life without booze. Booze doesn't make the world go round and it doesn't add to the fun. It only blurs and makes you forget.
    You are so much more INVOLVED with life and with the world without drinking.

I still have a long road ahead of me. But I don't need this stupid booze. If I keep drinking I will destroy my life. I won't get to where I want to go because booze will be my only goal or aspiration while actively drinking. I don't want to manipulate my way of thinking or rewire my brain in this way to think that alcohol is the be all and end all. I want to experience life. Not float through it.
    And if I go back to booze that's all I would be doing. All the negatives. All the insane things that make no sense to people who don't have this addiction.
    My family deserves better. My partner deserves better. My dogs deserve better and most of all I deserve better.

Just my own thoughts...

I am so proud of you! It is just amazing what a difference 30 (or so) days make! I hope you will post this to the tool box, there's just no more powerful testimony than these, another life turned around by eliminating AL. Well done, Bri! keep up the great work! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

Great post Bri!

Thanks for sharing. You are an inspiration.

G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

Bri, a fantastic post and i so totally agree with all that you have posted and very heartfelt also. My dogs so appreciate me being in the now with them and my children and life is so much better without the constant battles of drinking. My life does not revolve around drinking anymore and yours doesnt either. be proud of yourself girl and the world is your oyster, grab it with all you have!
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

Wonderful post Bri! Thank you. When I read posts like this, I know I am on the right road. It makes so much sense to not drink! And I want to live life and not float through it. Good for you!!
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

j-vo;1636956 wrote: Wonderful post Bri! Thank you. When I read posts like this, I know I am on the right road. It makes so much sense to not drink! And I want to live life and not float through it. Good for you!!
            Great post Bri Agree with Ava---We have to grab this new lifestyle with both hands!!

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

:goodjob: Hold on to the positive, the negative will take you back. Cravings become less when you are sober longer and remember amino acids like L-glutamate makes it easier.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

Bris, that's beautifully written, and as Ava said, very heartfelt. Not just words.

I'm experiencing what you're saying, as others who are holding strong will be experiencing also, of that I'm certain. A better quality of life, with richer and more rewarding experiences, instead of a life that is full of blurred memories, depression and ill health.

Thanks for the post. Sharing that will make us all stronger:thanks:

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

Love it - I am with you!

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

I am so, so proud of you Bri! Keep the positive momentum going. I always knew you could do this. You are focusing on the good things, and that is great! The other night my daughter and I took our dogs to the dog park and I thought "Two years ago I wouldn't have given up my drinking time for the dogs!"....but we ended up having a great time and we met some nice people (and dogs)!!

Come back to your post when you feel the urge to drink...you wrote it beautifully.

Keep up the great work!!!

Love,
                    K9
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

I hope you guys don't mind that I respond to you individually - I feel like I should…and in 2 and a half hours I will be 30 days sober.

Byrdlady - 30 days definitely makes quite a difference, and you wouldn't think so…and I will post this to the Toolbox - that actually made me smile - I have such low esteem (because of alcohol probably amongst other things) than when people say they are proud of me or like something I write..it makes me feel good. Thank you.

Guitarista - thank you so much.

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

You're welcome Briseus.

I note with a bigger head than usual, that i am the only one who got a heart.....hehe. :h

Congratulations on 30 days AF friend! Huge achievement.

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

Congratulations on 30 days!!!

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

Thank you Guitarista and Frances! )

Comment

Just my own thoughts...

Thanks Bris,

I didn't think the positive changes in me would be so profound, with the AF life. It's not like it's just getting rid of a big negative and going back to neutral. For me it's been a big momentum swing into the positive:
                              * thinking more clearly
                              * wanting to exercise
                              * wanting to eat well.
                              * wanting to read! learn and improve
                              * wanting to be the best dad I can be.
                              *wanting to get the most out of life and having the energy and vitality to do it

That probably reads a little too much like a cheesy late night commercial selling some product, but it is my reality. As everyone here would know, it's not an easy journey we've chosen, but the rewards are compounded with our effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X