Lost count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost count

I gave up in early September and for a long time i counted every day and week.

I realised today that I have genuinely lost count.

I still have this burning image of last August in my head though.

It is me, on holiday, hungover.

I said to myself that if I ever managed to get AF then I must remember that moment and promise myself not to relapse.

Even though I am happy, AF and in control, I still think about when I will start drinking again.

That moment of my past talking to my present about my future keeps me dry

Keep On Keeping On:h
    Last drink 6th September 2013

Lost count

Hi Softy!
    I'm with you, in that I don't want to count the days, because if I count the days, that's keeping alcohol front and center. I think it's more important to celebrate the true anniversaries of joyous birthdays and weddings, not divorce dates.

The last time I "stopped drinking", I allowed myself to moderate (WHO was I kidding, lol?).
    I realize know that it's more important to those that love me, for me to be alcohol-free.... versus my selfish desire to have "just one to relax".

We will do this!
    Hugs! Patty
    "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
    so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
    :hug:

Comment

Lost count

Softy!!!! So glad to see you. I have been wondering how you are doing. Losing count is a good thing. And remembering is a good thing. Keep on keeping on:h
      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Lost count

Softy isnt it great to not remember the days. I hit 100 and for me that was the big one that i wanted to get to. now i use the time/date calculator if i want to post on roll call to inspire the others.

I know i can never drink but like you i always think of when can i. Never is the answer i give myself.

I am going on holidays in just over a week and i will not drink, i cannot drink ever, ever ever.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Lost count

Howya Softy, glad to hear from you and even happier that you are keeping on.

Interesting you mentioned , I kind of want to stop counting (as recommended by Jason Vale s stop drinking book ) , although i like posting in the Sunday shout out of number of days.

And would like to mark special days , 100 , 6 months etc.
          I still miss a pint but I am much happier in general. I get jealous of listening to people talking of going out for beer etc. but accept it could probsbly take a year before these feelings stop.
          But no regrets from me. The sober life is the one for me.
          I really hope you can keep going also Softy , you are a top man.

All the best
          Damo in Dublin
          Still trying !!!
          AF 25th June2014

Comment

Lost count

available;1640696 wrote: Softy isnt it great to not remember the days. I hit 100 and for me that was the big one that i wanted to get to. now i use the time/date calculator if i want to post on roll call to inspire the others.

I know i can never drink but like you i always think of when can i. Never is the answer i give myself.

I am going on holidays in just over a week and i will not drink, i cannot drink ever, ever ever.
            Hi Ava,
            I would love to hear how you get on with your hols.
            Are you nervous about it.
            I was 6 months sober 2 or 3 years ago and went on a 2 wk sun holiday.
            It was truly the most enjoyable holiday I ve had.
            I was in such a great head space at the time. I relapsed some time later and has taken til now before I got decent sober time again. It is still a big regret that I relapsed, but no point in looking back eh ?
            Anyway, I hope you have a nice holiday.

Damo
            Still trying !!!
            AF 25th June2014

Comment

Lost count

Thanks all

Good to see a few names here still cracking along

Damo - the value of your Sunday post is massive

The good folks here tolerated my Friday night ramblings which I found vital

Friday was always the time I went overboard

It feels good dropping back in here, not to gloat about how great I am for being AF but to top up the encouragement levels by seeing so many inspiring tales of bravery and determination

:thanks:

Comment

Lost count

Damo

I found out 8 weeks ago i was going to thailand with my mother for my 50th birthday. My mother and i have a uneasy relationship but i love her and she is not getting younger. 8 weeks ago i had those thoughts of "oh its hols i will just have a couple of drinks", "i deserve a drink to relax". I truly tried to make a plan but those al thoughts kept bouncing around. Fast forward 8 weeks and a totally different mindset. When my mother gets to me, i will go somewhere where i can have some peace and quiet like the gym or a massage or just go for a walk. I will not drink AT her or anyone else. I will order cocktails without the al, i am sure i will smell al a mile off in a drink. I dont want to drink, i dont want to lose the 100+ days i have. I have never been prouder of anything else in my life, except for my children. I have achieved something that i thought was humanly not possible and i will not lose this quit.

I do know i will be on mwo to stay accountable and its a relaxation holiday as have been there twice before so shopping, massages, pedicures, manicures, facials. Just the horrible, boring, mundane things i have to tolerate lol.
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Lost count

Softy awesome to see you.
                  you are an inspiration. Keep on keeping on.
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Lost count

This sounds great Softy - there is light ahead, and one day I so hope to feel the way you do now!
                    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Lost count

It seems to me that if I can do it, (and there is nothing special about me I am a weak selfish person at heart) then there is hope for everyone!

I have surprised myself

You can do it too

Remember - be good to yourself - you only get one go on the fair and when the ride is over it really is over. If you enjoy the roller coaster then that's fine, but that is high risk. I am happy on the carousel for now and enjoying the view

Comment

Lost count

Hi, Softy:

So glad to see you when you pop in. I am now at 112 days, or 16 weeks. I truly can't believe it either. I remember when you started posting your weekly thread (I want to say it was around 9 weeks) and I was so in awe of that time. I'll keep chasing you, and I hope we always stay this far apart!

I counted to 100, like my quit sister Ava, and now use JackieClaire's super Sunday sober shoutouts.

xo
                        Pav

Comment

Lost count

Pav - you are doing great - well done!

Be proud

Comment

Working...
                          X