AA while drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA while drinking

Sounds a bit thick this but I been wanting to stop drinking and think the AA would be of good use for me. I have been trying to stop before I go which obviously I cant, am I being stupid do you go and they help you stop lol I feel stupid asking but I would feel a bit of a fraud listeing to peoples problem whilst still doing it
    Its easier not to start than stop

AA while drinking

No you would not be a fraud and you will be able to find people to give you support to quit.
    Having a support group really helps.
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

AA while drinking

I've never been to one of their meetings but I think that you should go and see. Let us know how it goes.
      :hug: Patty
      "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
      so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
      :hug:

Comment

AA while drinking

I went to one before Xmas and it is a little strange hearing people openly talk about things that are normally taboo however everyone was friendly and overall I could see how it works.
        For some reason I thought I shall stop drinking and go there again as not drinking can be very boring at times and it would be something to do. I cant stop drinking of course I cant and it suddenly dawned on me I think the idea is you go there while still drinking and that show you how to stop with help from them
        What a wally so I shall go to a local meeting I think
        Its easier not to start than stop

Comment

AA while drinking

The only requirement to attend AA is "A desire to stop drinking". Therefore, you can go if you're sober, still drinking, or just wishing you could stop. I say go...it can't hurt anything! And you will more than likely meet others who are still struggling as well. Let us know how it goes!
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

AA while drinking

GMC,

I have gone to AA for three or four months and have met lots of great people. K9 is exactly right-the ONLY requirement is the DESIRE to stop drinking. I know many people who drank at first-they needed the group to give them the support they needed. Give it a whirl! People are very supportive, at least at the meeting I go to. What do you have to lose?

Ann

Comment

AA while drinking

If in doubt, attend what they call an "open" meeting (a meeting anyone can attend, including non-alcoholics).
              In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

AA while drinking

Or a "speaker" meeting where you just sit and listen.
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

AA while drinking

What a great topic-thread!!!

Just going to one meeting can be life changing. And remember this: you never have to go back to another meeting if you don't want to. Oh, and trust me, they don't call it Alcoholics Anonymous for nothing -I am just no longer a fan.

Comment

AA while drinking

GMC,
                    About a year ago, there was a gent who came every Monday night....
                    He was so opinionated: This is rubbish, it MUST be God, Higher Power rubbish etc....
                    He was a "dry drunk" for 11 years and relapsed...
                    2 Mondays in a row, we carried him in on a chair. We asked him not to share (at times it was hard to keep him quiet, lol).
                    He hit his bottom (in ICU) and his wife got a court order to put him in rehab....
                    The facility was a 12 Step clinic...
                    He stayed there 3 months....
                    We celebrated his one year in Feb....

Don't judge AA on 1 meeting or 1 group, shop around if need be...
                    Somewhere, sometime you might just hear something that resonates with you...

Sober hug,
                    Sol xxx

Comment

Working...
                    X