Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. New here

Hi!

I have been off and on another site and felt that this one was a bit better for me. I am a happily married mother of two. I work full-time and enjoy working out and drinking. I am married to someone who also enjoys drinking a bit more than he should so for me that is so challenging. Drinking has not interfered with my life drastically however I think I definitely need to slow down. I am seeing my Dr in May to begin topirimate. Can someone who is taking this please tell me if there is an average dose. I know everyone is different and it won't be the same for all but it would be nice to know where some are at. I have read the side effects can be nasty. I have read some have hair loss. Anyone here?

Thanks

Hello. New here

Hi and welcome Vmarie. Let me guess you were on what I call soberrelapery.com? We are much less dogmatic over here. I left soberrelapsery myself after being berated by an administrator for trying to discuss medication.

You're likelier to get a response if you post a thread on the meds forum. Most of us there are on baclofen (I'm also on Campral as well), but I know topa users have posted there in the past. Even if there are no current topa users, you will find some useful information just from combing through the threads.

Again, welcome!
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Hello. New here

Thank you! The site was moderation management. I don't know anything about the meds you mentioned. Can you please tell me more?

Comment

Hello. New here

Baclofen is a muscle relaxant. It's original use was for muscle stiffness, but a French cardiologist named Olivier Ameisen discovered that at a high enough dose it quashes addictive cravings. Dr. A. was a terrible alcoholic who gave up his New York cardiology practice and faculty position at Cornell University Medical School and experimented on himself out of desperation. You can Google his name to find out more about his story. It may be a challenge to find someone to prescribe baclofen, though, since it hasn't been FDA approved to treat addiction and is still considered experimental. Again, if you're interested, you'll find plenty of help from people in the meds thread to help you find a prescriber open to baclofen.

Campral was FDA approved in 2004 and just went generic last year. It restores neurotransmitter balance in the brain, basically resetting your tolerance and craving for alcohol back to pre-alcoholic levels over time.

If you and your doctor are not dead set on topiramate, you might want to explore naltrexone as well, which blocks the euphoric effects of alcohol so that eventually you don't care to drink anymore because it isn't pleasurable anymore. There are lots of people on nal over in the meds forum.
        In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Hello. New here

Hi Vmarie~

Welcome! I totally agree with Alky. I tried Topa and it was a pain. Some people have good luck with it. But for me I did experience hair loss and quite a bit of it. I was able to drink over the topa rather quickly too. I eventually moved on to Naltrexone and have been working with that. It seems to helps but I think one very important thing is that you also need to find out what those deep seeded emotions that are behind your need to drink. I kept trying to slay the beast with medication and ended up finally getting some much needed counseling. The combo of both seemed to help me.
          I'm still fighting my fight.

Do you research on topa.. it may be a good fit for you . As Alky said.. the Med forum has a plethora of into on it.

Comment

Hello. New here

Hi vmarie. I just want to say welcome. You are free to say anything here, and we will listen. Everyone won't agree, but that's what makes MWO a great place to be. I have no experience with any of these drugs so I can offer no advice on that, but wish you the best of luck. I have followed many of the med threads, and have read some true success stories. I just want to congratulate you on recognizing your drinking problem before it causes issues. Many years ago, I too was a happily married mother of two with a husband who enjoyed his drinks. At times, I felt a bit of alarm, but ignored it. Please don't do what I did. You sound smarter than me. If you don't mind, I will be following along on your journey, so post often. Wishing you the very best. xxxx
            Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Hello. New here

Thanks

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it. I will look more into these meds. The side effects are scary!

Comment

Hello. New here

I've not used naltrexone, but I can say that Campral is pretty benign. I had some mild sleepiness and problems focusing at the beginning on baclofen but nothing debilitating. I also stopped going "up" at 90mg and I think the really scary side effects kick in at much higher doses.

But, as BK said, therapy is really the key. The meds just help you clear your head long enough so you can begin the real work. My psychiatrist wouldn't prescribe these meds without me agreeing to see the therapist in his office on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                X