Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This time for real

Hi, everyone.
    I just wanted to start out to say that I love reading all the posts.
    I decided to quit tonight (basically deciding
    every night ).
    I ordered Campral 210 tablets, which is going to last me 2 months and 10 days. I've read some great reviews on it about killing the craving.
    I quit on my own last month for two weeks, but my sick mind talked me back to drinking. Now I'm drinking smth every day. Mostly a bottle of wine after work. And had a drink yesterday before work..
    Also for the last year took on smoking electronic cigarettes, $11 for one of them, when I drink I buy one about 3-4 times a week. And that's pretty ironic. I don't even used to smoke for 10 years.
    I know what I'm doing is wrong, but its like in the morning I'm ok, but come the night and I say screw it and do it again.
    I know what it's like for me to be sober and I LOVE the feeling, but then I get scared I can't have the "fun" life and its going to be boring to live. And I talk myself into drinking again. Usually followed by some stupid drunk scenes like running drunk into traffic making my husband catch me or trying to sing karaoke which I will never attempt to do sober..
    It's like I'm scared to commit and become a greater version of me, knowing its the way. The only way..

This time for real

Hello & welcome to MWO Val!

Glad you decided to join us
    You can quit & stay quit with a good plan! If you've been reading around the threads you've probably heard about our Tool box. It is filled with great ideas to help you make your plan.
    Learning to ignore the drinking thoughts takes some dedication & work but it can be done.

Wishing you the very best on your journey. Jump into the Newbies Nest thread for some ongoing support!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

This time for real

Hi Val,
      Glad you're here. MWO is a great place for support, encouragement, and guidance. We've all been right where you were, not too long ago for me. I know how you're feeling as 99 percent of us here do. That's the great thing about being here. We know what you're going through.

The great thing is that you don't have to feel this way anymore. That scared feeling that you won't be able to have "fun" in life is not the case. You did two weeks last month and that's awesome. You can do that again and continue because you deserve to be happy. I hope to see you in the Newbie's Nest.
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

This time for real

Val I was scared too of not having fun. I found when I got sober that the drunks weren't so much fun. I now enjoy other things in life. Yoga, gardening, walking, piano. Life will change but I guarantee it will be for the better.
        Newbies Nest
        Toolbox
        My accountability thread

Comment

This time for real

Welcome, Val.

You are right, we are afraid at first.
          It's like I'm scared to commit and become a greater version of me, knowing its the way. The only way..
          But what you said here is truly beautiful: Becoming a greater version of you. Is it scary? Yes, because we look at alcohol as some magical potion instead of the factual poison that it is.
          Will your life change? YES, it can change for the better.

For many of us, both the husband and wife drink alcohol, so your decision to drink or not drink can impact him, too. How will your husband feel about the new Val? Will he be happy to not have to chase her down the street?
          "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
          so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
          :hug:

Comment

This time for real

Hi Val,you can do thiswhen i think of some of the idiotic,embarrasing things i've done drunk i cringe! getting kicked out of a concert for grabbing the lead singers crotch,shoplifting ink cartridges from wal-mart,my hand at karaoke as well,omg,i wanna hide! i would never do that stuff sober,amazing how booze makes us weirdos isn't it?i wish you strength on your journey,welcome to mwo
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

This time for real

Wow! I woke up this morning and saw all this encouraging replies. Thank you all very much for your support.
              Well, here we go. Another day one for me. I just wish those pills would have come already. But it's going to be at least two weeks. I'm working today, so I will try and be strong and not stop to get anything after work. I can do this!

Comment

This time for real

Val, take control of your environment and plan.... if you have alcohol in the house,the easiest solution is to get rid of it... but if you don't want to get rid of it, then baby steps: take the beer out of the fridge so that it's at room temperature, put your bottle opener out in your car... sounds silly, but it you make it "just a little harder to get to", you may think twice about the next drink.

Stop and get some alternative drinks, like cranberry juice and seltzer water (with a twist of lime). Get popsicles, or ice cream. Get some of your favorite treats. Will you be home alone tonight, or will your husband be home with you? Are you telling him that you want to tone down on your drinking, or are you just going to do it alone?

:hug: Glad you came back! Patty
                "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                :hug:

Comment

This time for real

I have no alcohol in a house. My husband rarely drinks and all we have in a fridge are juices and soft drinks. (We have a son). So that's why I have to actually stop and get smth just for me every night. I don't know when I started doing this. I perfectly remember years ago just going straight home and either read or watch tv and go to sleep. It's as if since I decided I actually might have a problem with drinking I started drinking even more. Many times saying to myself that its the last time and getting drunk because of it.
                  I quit last month for those two weeks using Antabuse. But this time want to try on my own, until campral pills come.
                  And yes, my husband knows I want to do it. But again I want to do it so often he is not jumping up and down because of it. I think that he is happy I'm trying smth new by ordering these pills. I really hope they work. A lot of people say they help A LOT with cravings. And that what drives me back to drinking. If they were gone, maybe I would have continued on from last month..

Comment

This time for real

Welcome VAL

You can quit little by little mate and then a long the process can proceed to being AF , that's what I'm doing right now and I think soon I will go AF too. We are all here for you mate.
                    Alcohol will hit you bad but you can always turn your back
                    Alcohol can bring a lot of misery but there is a solution because it's not a mystery
                    Alcohol will give you pleasure but in the future it will give you pain that you cannot treasure

Comment

This time for real

Anyway, my pills came.. Throw out 1/4 of a bottle of wine (drank the rest)..
                      Going to give it a go tomorrow.. wish me luck..

Comment

This time for real

Good luck Val. I strongly recommend going AF, right from the start. Don't be scared to reward yourself with other treats at witching hour. Eating yummy food works wonders. That also helped inspire me to get back into running seriously. I've been training for a marathon. Whatever works, to avoid alcohol.

Comment

This time for real

Thank you, Petrelhead, I will take a pill first thing in the morning. I will let you know how my day went..

Comment

Working...
                          X