Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Again - Only I Can Take Charge

Londoner;1665918 wrote: Thanks guys.

The weekend was a real low. Partying for about 40 hours non stop.

My mind, health and bank balance are all paying the price now.

I believe I have some sort of personality disorder - and hope that meditation can help me pave a new path in life.
    Londoner

When I was still drinking alcoholically, people suggested I had this, had that, had the other - best one was an accusation of schizophrenia. I knew deep down the only thing I 'had' was the ability to wreck myself with alcohol, and I had to fix that some way.

Like someone else in this thread I had to get to the point where I was sick of being sick, but that wasn't the end, I then had to find a way that worked for me.

Patience, time and being willing to try anything, to go to any lengths.

Some of these are also AA sayings, AA didn't get me sober but I believe there are a lot of wise words said in that organisation.

Regards mental health 'conditions', did you know most people can be slotted into some sort of 'disorder', and many diagnosed as one could with slightly different interpretation be diagnosed with a different 'label'. Many medications are also not created on scientific basis - more like trial and error and then working backwards.

Take the drugs and alcohol away without looking for reasons. You can do that stuff later!
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

YouKayBee;1671889 wrote: Londoner

When I was still drinking alcoholically, people suggested I had this, had that, had the other - best one was an accusation of schizophrenia. I knew deep down the only thing I 'had' was the ability to wreck myself with alcohol, and I had to fix that some way.

Like someone else in this thread I had to get to the point where I was sick of being sick, but that wasn't the end, I then had to find a way that worked for me.

Patience, time and being willing to try anything, to go to any lengths.

Some of these are also AA sayings, AA didn't get me sober but I believe there are a lot of wise words said in that organisation.

Regards mental health 'conditions', did you know most people can be slotted into some sort of 'disorder', and many diagnosed as one could with slightly different interpretation be diagnosed with a different 'label'. Many medications are also not created on scientific basis - more like trial and error and then working backwards.

Take the drugs and alcohol away without looking for reasons. You can do that stuff later!
      I believe he said "meditation," not "medication."
      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Alky;1671891 wrote: I believe he said "meditation," not "medication."
        Whoops, sorry. Going to leave it in because it's sort of a similar point.
        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

I did a lot of reading and watching videos when I first quit. I remember reading something about the moment when you've been AF for a while and you just say "Fuck it" and have that first of many drinks again. The writer talked about analyzing what led up to the "fuck it" moment. Usually there is something to be learned there.

Meanwhile I am sure glad that you are around, because that means you really want this, and you know where to go for help.

Keep in touch! We are all on your side.
          Newbies Nest
          Toolbox
          My accountability thread

Comment

Had a few drinks over the weekend - nothing massive, but still off plan for now.

Glad to be back working out today. That is a massive boost for me. I'm a firm believer that exercise can right so many wrongs.

Meditation is also building it's place in my life - and with that I can be more aware of what I am doing. There was a point where I was drinking a cider a month or so ago, and there was no want for it or anymore. That is the power of meditation IMO.

Comment

Hi Londoner,

Good to see you bouncing back. Sorry to see your boys go down to Italy over the weekend. They played okay. They should be strong in the next 2 games.

The Aussies didn't fair any better, but played okay. I'm afraid they'll only be nuisance value against the Netherlands and Spain. It's great to watch the World Cup.

We're lucky here in Australia. All of the games run between 2.00 am and 10.00 am, so the temptation for alcohol during the game isn't there. Lots of coffee though.

Good luck against Uruguay.

Stay strong.

Comment

Working...
              X