Starting finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting finally

It was really hard to join this group. I always thought I was strong enough to keep the drinking moderate. But now I know I just have to quit. I can't just have one glass.It is more like one bottle of wine. And it is most days a week now. I can't ever remember drinking this much. So it is all or nothing with me I guess so I am going with nothing. No more. I can't respect myself if I can't control it. And my self respect is more important. So I need you all. Thanks for having this site available.
    __________________:thanks:
    :leaf: Searaven

Starting finally

Welcome Sea:welcome: You have taken big step by joining and you will find that so many of us have been where you have been and are. Moderation can (for most but not all) just be too much hard work and once we have a glass its too easy to finish the bottle. And drinking is a habit. Now is the time to get healthy and learn new habits. No judging here and we all have many different methods in how we get sober.
    The Newbies Nest is a great place to start.
    Why don't you share a little more about yourself and tell us how you are getting along. Its good to have a plan - but also not to get too overwhelmed.
    Keep close and take care.

Comment

Starting finally

hi Sea and welcome. As tree says head over to the newbies nest and say hi and settle in. We all have to start somewhere and this is the best place to be. I was to the stage of drinking 2 bottles a day, 7 days a week and now am af 6 months. Tried to moderate and ended up drinking more and more so for me it has to be nothing. Even though that was hard realising i could never drink again it is the best decision i have ever made for myself and my family. I have my health, my dignity and my self respect back where they belong.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Starting finally

Hi, Searaven

:welcome:

You've made a great choice. I wasn't able to do it on my own but something clicked when I sought help here.

The link to the Newbies Nest is below.

All the best- NS

Comment

Starting finally

Welcome searaven - you are in good company here - so much great experience and advice. Stick around and read and post and work on a plan - once you start getting AF days under your belt you will be so happy you did!

Comment

Starting finally

Welcome, Sea Raven
            If you need your own personal thread to keep yourself accountable, keep this string alive, too.

It is very ironic how flipping HARD it is to simply admit to ourselves that our "OFF" button is broken. We struggle, we bargain with ourselves, we pretend that everything is okay when we know, deep in our souls, that we are not living for LIFE, but for the next opportunity to drink.

We share the same shoes. That's not to say that your journey isn't uniquely yours, but if you want help standing on your own feet, we are here for you.

I'm a little farther down the path- started thinking about moderating/ failed at moderating back in 2008 and finally put my Big Girl Panties on this February and quit drinking.

I've told my children to "never say never or always".... so with that in mind, I'm never going to say that I will always be alcohol free. However, I will tell you that my family had an awesome Saturday, and today is Father's Day, so we are celebrating by enjoying the sunshine and having an outdoor BBQ. Life is currently happy and alcohol free.

Welcome and Hugs. You can do this. :h Patty
            "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
            so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
            :hug:

Comment

Starting finally

:welcome: searaven. You have landed in a good spot and will find lots of support here. Be sure to visit the Newbies Nest as well - lots of people just starting out, along with people who have weeks, months, or years being AF.
              Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Working...
              X