AB plunge...day 1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AB plunge...day 1.

I'm not really new here...I've been hanging around MWO for a couple of years now, trying to get my mind around getting serious with this al thing. But last evening I jumped in with both feet and took my first dose of Antabuse. So...hoping for some al free time to see how I feel. Going for thirty days. We'll see I guess!

AB plunge...day 1.

Good for you Six for taking the plunge! I'm sure then you know, having hung around here for a couple years, to be sure and post in the newbies nest as well and to check out the toolbox. (both links below) Have your plan together or are you just starting with the Antabuse and building from there?
    “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
    Newbies Nest Roll Call
    Toolbox
    Cattleman Cafe

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hi Orimus. My plan is to just get through these first few days, for starters! I've just started some baclofen....up to 40 mg so far. Have a good supply of Antabuse laid in and I'm on vacation this week till Friday. Some vacation...right?? But this is my first real attempt to quit and I at least want to see how I feel after a few weeks AF. Right now my brain thinks it's being punished for something...since this is about the time I would normally start drinking..lol!

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Thank you, Six, for posting about this journey you're beginning! I have a similar plan in mind, but not ready to roll with it yet. Were you able to get a prescription for the AB?

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

No Pie...I didn't even ask my NP since she shot me down when I asked for naltrexone. I got it online...as I did with the nal. Then when I went back to her later and told her about being on nal she was fine with it. It's just she has to work under a group of MDs and they don't agree with it...so she's not allowed to prescribe. I'll do the same with the AB. Knowing her shell say she's happy I'm taking my health into my own hands...lol! I was just afraid if I asked for AB they would say...fine if you go to AA or counseling...and that's just not me right now.

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Lol. So how're you choosing to spend the time instead? I know I keep finding periods of time that I didn't expect to be a problem only to get there and finding without a drink in my hand I have nothing to do.
            “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
            Newbies Nest Roll Call
            Toolbox
            Cattleman Cafe

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Well...so far today I've...surfed around on MWO, followed my husband around, gone out to look at the garden several times(and not done anything in it), surfed around on MWO some more, gone outside to see what my husband is doing, gone back out to see if the garden is still there (it is)....etc,etc. but...I figure it's only day one and I have a right to feel a bit unproductive.:goodjob:

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

So I guess the answer is...I need a better plan!!

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Perhaps that is something that you can work on and being here on MWO, checking out the toolbox is as good a place as any to start building one. :0) But sometimes the little things such as wandering around the garden, really paying attention to what we see can be enormously productive in helping us get a little grounded. Maybe find little ways to pamper/be kind to yourself without AL. I know for me it was definitely necessary, and took me while to do it, to find those AF free drinks everyone on here is always saying to stock up on.

Hi Pie, glad to have you aboard. Have you said hi yet on the Newbies Nest? Lots of supportive people make that their regular spot to check in and give each other support. Also check out the toolbox as I mentioned here to Six. Sometimes we know what we should do and we just don't want to do it because we are not quite ready. I like to believe little actions done consistently over time will get us there as what we focus on tends to grow. Or AAs just fake it until you make it. :0)

Newbies Nest
                  Newbies Nest Roll Call
                  Toolbox
                  Cattleman Cafe

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Thinking of you, Six, and wondering how you're doing so far with the plunge you've taken. Very well, I hope.

Orimus, thank you for your kind welcome. Not sure I fit in the newbie category, but sincere suggestions are always appreciated.

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

I'm having a day 1 myself. And I got the line about AA and therapy but they were the conditions the psychiatrist imposed for the baclofen plan. I'm learning that alcoholism a disease and a symptom and it's difficult to stay sober until those underlying reasons are addressed. Doctors don't like it if you don't have a plan.
                      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hi Six!
                        How are you doing on the AB so far? I am proud of you for taking it. Just PLEASE do not attempt to drink on it...I have done that before and boy was I miserable! Now that you know you CAN'T drink, you can focus on other things! Anyways, I just wanted to say good job and keep it up...you won't regret it!
                        K9
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Wow...I just made a really long post...then when I went to submit it was told I wasn't logged in...again! Not sure why this keeps happening to me. Anyway...thanks everyone, for checking on me. K9...for sure I won't make the mistake of drinking on this stuff!!
                          Actually feel pretty shitty today...no physical symptoms but emotionally I'm all over the place. Started off pretty positive this morning but have been in tears twice since then. It's my husbands birthday and we were supposed to go out to lunch and do some shopping...but I just don't feel like dragging myself out of the house. So I've just been reading, hanging around...but I feel guilty that we're not doing anything for his birthday. Luckily his brother came by and now they're off to the driving range...so that's good. And I will make him strawberry shortcake for later.
                          I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I don't feel 100%. I just hope I can get more motivated to do some stuff during the rest of our vacation.

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hi Six,

I just sent you a pm.

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Day three: feeling a bit better today...no meltdowns so far. Actually got on my exercise bike for a workout (short, but I did it). Still no physical symptoms so hopefully I've dodged that...it's actually been since Saturday since I had anything to drink. Hoped to get out and do some stuff outside but unfortunately it's POURING here! One more day of vaca...work a 12 on Friday and then off the weekend...yay! Pretty sure though, that I'd never have made it this far without the Antabuse. Never have yet anyway!

Best to everyone! Six

Comment

Working...
                              X