AB plunge...day 1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AB plunge...day 1.

Thats great Six - you are through the tough part. It will take lots of resolve during the weeks to come but you can do it. Just don't listen to any noises suggesting that you stop the AB just yet.
    I have been AF since Oct 2012 and this was kick started with AB. Like you I was very nervous about taking it. In my case I quit AB after a few months but by that stage I had established strong habits of just not drinking - and in time - not thinking about drinking. It wasn't an overnight change and there were no bells and whistles for me. No angels of redemption fell from the sky for me! It was bloody hard during those first six months but I am so glad I put that ground work in.
    Keep on the AB, keep posting here and keep busy - as well as making sure you give yourself time to relax.
    Especially post here on MWO when the niggles about drinking come to pay you a visit. We will be watching

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hi Six,

That's quite the avatar you've chosen! Hope the rain has stopped for your last day of vacation. How goes it on the AF front? My AB is supposed to arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Pie

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hi Pie....I really like YOUR avatar! Truth is...I feel pretty dicey today. Just in a funk and like I don't know if I want to take my AB tonite. I really wanted to give it at least two weeks...so I keep trying to give myself little pep talks about why I wanted to do this in the first place but I'm not so sure it's working.

Crap:durn:

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hi Six!
          So you are unsure about taking AB tonight? Why not just take it NOW then you won't have to think about it? Some days I just force mine down and then the inner battle can calm down. Believe me, I have researched and googled any and all possible "antidotes" to Antabuse (to get it out of my system faster) and there are NONE. So please, whatever you do, remember that it stays in your body a while...
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hi k9

Well, that's an idea....lol...I'm thinking on it. How long would you say it took before you actually started to notice a difference in how you felt? Physically I'm fine...but mentally I'm just in such a funk...really no different from when I was drinking only even less fun. I know not drinking and finding things to do instead needs to become my new norm...but honestly this whole "vacation" I have barely left the house--and then only to wander around in the yard. I'm assuming that will change...but how long did it take for you?

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

It does take a WHILE...I mean it would be nice if we woke up on day 3 and viola!..refreshed and happy! LOL Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Just think of how long you've been drinking and how your mind has made that your "go to"...for EVERY emotion. It's gonna take a while to break that connection between "fun" and drinking. I think the key in the beginning is just to distract yourself. Once you're ok with filling an evening with not drinking, you'll notice that each following night gets easier. Now I'm not saying you'll never get a craving, because believe me...ALL of us do. It's how you deal with it that matters. In the beginning I went to bed so darn early the birds were still singing. LOL Do whatever it takes at the beginning...

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hey Six,

So glad K9's on your thread as an AB resource with much experience! I've read of people taking the AB first thing in the morning to avoid second thoughts about taking it that can grow as the day wears on. Also, some split their dose, so they can take it daily to establish more of a routine. Maybe buy a pill splitter at Walgreens to easily half your 250 mg tab into 125 mg portions?

You know I'm not speaking from experience, just sharing ideas I've picked up from others.

Can you re-read any of your own earlier posts where you talk about why you want to quit? I too am worried about finding alternative ways to spend my time, but really think I'll spend the first few days mostly sleeping. Not exactly a great vacation, eh?

Hope you decide to hang on, Six.

Pie

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Pie is right...taking it in the morning is the best idea (in my opinion) because that's when you feel "strongest"...you wake up feeling good and proud of yourself for not drinking the night before...and you want the feeling to last! Not sure if you watch much TV/Movies or read many books, but I can offer some good time killers in both areas if you want! Hang in there, you CAN do this!

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hi SixCat:
                    I have taken Antabuse and can tell you to take the pill every day. If you don't, thoughts step in of letting it wear off so you can drink. I have experience with this. I am going to take mine today as I am in the middle of one of those episodes. I take it in the morning because later in the day the stinkin thinkin sets in and it tries to convince you that you don't need it. I achieved success with it for about 5 or 6 months and then just let some stupid thinking get the better of me. I have got to stop the madness and thinking that I can control this on my own. The Antabuse helps you while you are doing the work to heal and change your life style and thinking. Continue to take it and I will commit to it as well and check in here.
                    R4L
                    Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Drinking tonite. I don't really feel bad or good....kinda neutral. I imagined I would feel relieved...or maybe really bad. But I don't. Interesting. Something to ponder in the next few days.

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

HI Six
                        Hope everything is okay, if you drink too soon on the Antabuse you can get sick. You have to let it wear off for a few days.
                        R4L
                        Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Hi Six, Glad you're still here.

Pie

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Pie and R4L...thanks for sticking by me! No al so far today and hopefully will be back on track with the AB tomorrow.

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Great job Six. I am on day three and doing okay but the demons are starting to nag me. I just told them to go away!
                              R4L
                              Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

AB plunge...day 1.

Happy Monday, Six and R4L! Great to hear good news from both of you!

R4L, are you taking Antabuse with this quit?

Pie

Comment

Working...
                                X