Sugar headaches....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar headaches....

Today I start to make a conscious effort to limit sugar in my diet.
    I figure it is better than wine, true, but I do not want sugar to take the place of wine either.
    (I am exaggerating a bit, but while drinking I ate almost no sweets except wine).
    Also, I am on day four of quite the headache and wondering if too much sugar might be part of it?
    Not sure... anybody else having similar experiences?
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Sugar headaches....

Eloise i had shocking headaches on and off for about 6 weeks. Now i think about it i do think my sugar intake had something to do with it although i did not think about it at the time. I just figured i put the crap (al) in my body so i deserved them and they have subsided now thank god.

While drinking i ate basically very little now my body is on overload and loving it!
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Sugar headaches....

Huh, okay.
      I have really been suffering quietly with some doozie headaches.
      I had them too while drinking, but obviously I blamed the wine. And I do not feel like I deserve a headache for so long. Especially since I really am being a good girl!

Thank you for posting. Oh, dear... you have been AF for 6 months, congrats but can you advise when the headaches started to subside? I am only on day 38 AF now... can't imagine dealing with this headache for months to come? Please say that isn't the case....

Comment

Sugar headaches....

oh... duh... sorry you answered my question already.
        am a little scattered and distracted today....

Comment

Sugar headaches....

Hi Eloise, I am also getting the odd headache, which I never got while drinking.......I am eating more sugar but not as much as I would have done through wine....
          No real answers for you but I put it down to detoxing.....you are doing great partner!
          IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
          Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Sugar headaches....

Ah, thanks Daisy. Overall I really do feel so much better... but this headache is putting a bit of a damper on things.
            Thanks for posting!

Comment

Sugar headaches....

El you will be okay, i just took paracetamol and put up with them. There are so many ups and down in the early months and each one is bloody different but the good thing is we are never bored giving up drinking. if its not a headache is constipation, not constipation its something else. Until our bodies forgive us we just need to carry on with all that it throws at us. My body has finally forgiven me for all the al i put into it now thank god. I am even sleeping better and that took months also. never a dull moment but well worth it, never forget that aspect.
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Sugar headaches....

Hi
                I've had headaches every day for the last 25 days, they always come at night and are so painful..
                But, I haven't had them for 2 nights now !! Yay. Hope they go away for you guys too

Comment

Sugar headaches....

The pain relievers do not do anything.
                  I am trying a valerian extract as the headaches are making me really tense, probably making things worse. Also doing lots of deep breathing to relax.
                  Falling asleep and waking up with this headache day after day is really not nice.
                  I know I will live. And I am not even thinking about drinking.

Comment

Sugar headaches....

Ah, mine were just in the late afternoon and evening until about 4 days ago (coinciding with the menstrual cycle).
                    I have to teach today so I am stressing about it, otherwise I would just lie down and that helps.

Comment

Sugar headaches....

Thanks Patrice! At least I am starting to feel like maybe this is somehow normal?

Comment

Sugar headaches....

I have had headaches on and off for the last 3 years. I too blamed wine. The doctor put me on Topamax and they got better then I quit taking it. I got debilitating headaches since I quit drinking. I started taking the Topamax yesterday. Only 25 mg to start but I can't function with a migraine. It wasn't the wine after all.

Comment

Sugar headaches....

Is topamax used for migraines too Cherokeer?
                          I just ate a brownie and 20 minutes later... bingo bongo... headache gone.
                          Who knows? Just going to be happy it's gone for now. Maybe the valerian kicked in?
                          Headaches are really mysterious. No one ever died of one, but it has been feeling like kind of a close call lately!

Glad you are feeling better Cherokeer!

Comment

Sugar headaches....

Sometimes eating a lot of sugar can actually result in low blood sugar when your pancreas over-reacts to the high glucose load and secretes too much insulin. Those swings in blood sugar can make you feel awful with headaches being one outcome of hypoglycemia. If eating sugar takes care of the headache, that's a clue. Eating in a way that keeps blood sugar stable should take care of it.

Hypoglycemia and Headaches

Comment

Sugar headaches....

Hmm.... NoSugar... thank you.
                              I read your link quickly, but will look into it more closely this evening.
                              I think my symptoms are quite similar... actually just about right on.
                              And I am very guilty of going for long periods without eating. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X