One more try :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a good stretch of not drinking, then trying to moderate and it turned out to be the old good days of turning to AL to cope with my anxiety and my stressful life. I am 41 - I am terrified of what I have done to my liver so far - my blood work looks good although I have not tested nothing in particular for my liver.
    My health is that is my #1 reason I want to stop. Maybe I have been lucky enough not to have damaged it - I **WANT** to stop! This is my day 3 again... I want to try to go for all month of July .... and more!

Send me your good thoughts and vibe. This is such an uphill battle

El

eg, it is a change, but it doesn't have to be all uphill! Come on over to the Newbie's Nest, (link in my signature) and also be sure to check out the Tool Box!
    It's all a matter of perspective....to a worm, digging around in the dry, hard dirt all day is a lot more relaxing than going fishing! If you can turn your thinking around from being deprived, to one of gratitude for catching this BEFORE it caused you serious problems, then you are halfway there. Congrats on your Day 3! That is outstanding! Welcome aboard, we are so glad you found us! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi EG. The first few weeks are not easy, actually they are really bloody hard. How i have gotten up days is by posting on here twice a day to be accountable, getting all al out of the house, changing my routine so that i did not buy al as once i had then another day 1 again. I was a 2 bottle of wine drinker for years and years, always avoided having a blood test due to my drinking. Always said to myself that i would stop for 5 weeks then have a blood test and see what my liver was like. The problem was i could not stop drinking for 1 day let alone 5 weeks. I finally went for a blood test after 40 days and my liver was fine, what a suprise that was.

Of course it is an uphill battle, anything worthwhile always is. Take it day by day and for today do not drink and see what the next day brings. It will take pure grit and determination to say no to al, he is sneaky and devious. Remember you dont need to drink, you dont want a drink. I always visualise where that first drink will take me and its not pretty.

Eg if i can get to where i am, anyone can and all the mwoers with days up will say the same. Its hard work, no bullshit there but it is doable.

Head to the newbies nest and keep posting like a lunatic if it stops you drinking. Welcome
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi eg,
        Can't wait to chat up a storm with you in the NN!!!! The thing that works for me is to be very present on MWO, post when I need help, and read as much as you can. Now there's a point where I can go overboard and read too much and that's not good either, but you'll find a balance. It takes work, and we are worth it for sure. Your life can be lived with happiness, joy, peace, or you can live and just exist from day to day. I choose the former and hope you do, too!
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I Love getting all of this support and encouragement.I cannnot beleive I have been poisoinging my body so badly for the last 5-7 years I would never drink gasoline.... why would I drink alcohol!!!! i am trying to look at alcohol = POISON. So far this angle has been the best approach to let me stay away from it!
          I fell back into old habits because I do not know how to deal with anxiety and that first glass relax me.... but then it converts in 1/2 bottles

I will stop! I am stopping.

xoxo

Comment

EG a lot of us alkies suffer or suffered from anxiety. My anxiety was through the roof before i gave up drinking. I was starting to take a "xanax a day to keep anxiety at bay" and well we know how addictive xanax are. When i finally realised that drinking may be a big contributing factor to my anxiety and i stopped drinking then suprise my anxiety is now nearly non existent. The first week or two giving up drinking it was still with me but as time has gone on it has gone also. I have not had a xanax in weeks and weeks. Another reason to give up al although i did take valium in the first few days to help me sleep and be less anxious. Everyone is different in what works for them.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Welcome El, if you want to keep this string open to hold you accountable, then do it! The Newbies Nest is a great place for support, but you can also lurk in the shadows there, so to speak.

This is your life. You are 41 years old and you deserve to be happy.

As for alcohol, would you give your 10 year old "a little drink" so that he could "relax"?
              Would you give you 8 year old daughter some sweet bubbly wine cooler because she was good at school?

Of course not.... OUTRAGEOUS suggestions, yes?

So why give yourself permission to poison yourself?

You can do this. Hugs.

Patty
              "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
              so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
              :hug:

Comment

Working...
              X