No announcement yet.

Well, Look What the Cat Dragged In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“So, I just want a glass of wine with a meal in a very nice restaurant. What's wrong with that?

No, make that two glasses, large ones, please.

And now I'm considering how little wine is actually left in the bottle, because I want more. I want a lot more.”

I posted this progression of thoughts a few days ago after some wise MWOers prompted me to be honest about my feelings, and to protect my quit. Initially, I didn’t see my desire for a glass of wine as jeopardizing my quit. But then I started reading in some relapse threads, and it became clear where I was heading.
    I went back and reviewed some of the arsenal of material I’d compiled at the outset of my quit, and now recognize the drinking thoughts as my AV. The voice that contemplates any possibility of drinking again. The voice of addiction. I made a commitment to myself to never drink again, which requires that I not listen to this voice, not try to reason or argue with it, but rather to dismiss it. Its goals are not my own.

I’ve been largely coasting through my quit of late. Not making nearly the effort at building a new, sober life that I made early on. Time to get moving forward again. It also might make sense to resume taking Antabuse regularly again, something I stopped in January after 6-months of taking it. Haven’t decided yet on this point.

Including a link here to the Bullets for my Beast slideshow, because I like flipping through it as a reminder of my commitment, and of my enemy, the beast, that resides in my midbrain. http://rational.org/index.php?id=155

And finally, for now, the advice from our very own Chief on staying AF, “Just don’t f**king drink.”

Pie, at 7 mos sober

Comment

You've done so well Pie yeah, get back into building a fun af life, was gonna say that maybe you could take the AB every other day?keep rolling along my friend
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Way to go, Pie!

Comment

My hubby took AB once a week for 6 months. He hasn't drank for 18 months. I'm so happy for him.
          I really enjoy your posts.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Protect your quit, Pie...

Congratulations! We are strangers, but I'm very proud of you.:hug:

Hugs. Patty
            "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
            so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
            :hug:

Comment

I have just read this thread end to end and you really are an inspiration Pie,
              I am just blown away that you have gone from drinking every day to 7 months sober.
              I took particular notice of your last post as this mentality is exactly what unraveled my last quit attempt, I was at 3 months and did exactly that.
              Now just like you did 4 years later (and only a handful of AF days in between) I'm back.

“So, I just want a glass of wine with a meal in a very nice restaurant. What's wrong with that?
              No, make that two glasses, large ones, please.
              And now I'm considering how little wine is actually left in the bottle, because I want more. I want a lot more.”
              Happy to be back

Comment

Working...
              X