mental addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mental addiction

I'm struggling with physically not wanting to drink but mentally wanting the effects of the alcohol. I tend to drink 2-3 shots to feel the effects fast. I'm taking the supplements but I only listened to the cd's a few times. I feel mentally drained because it is constant struggle. I know that I should try to do things like exercise or do something else when I feel the mental cravings but it's always a struggle and I end up drinking. Has anyone experienced this and if so do you have any suggestions?

mental addiction

(((MayI)))

I too think my addictions were more mental than physical. I tend to believe this because both times I stopped abruptly I had no physical withdrawal symptoms to speak of....but mentally it was tough.

The hardest thing for me was not to take the pill (Campral) try the red tea, try the whatever they send you hear.....CHANGE MY ROUTINE. I was used to having a rough day and placating myself with the thought of I will go home and drink. Then getting the beer, then drinking until I was drunk.....this each nite.

I still drink like a fish......pop and flavored water until I could float, and I have to get used to talking w/my husband (lol) and filling the time.....I don't go to bed/pass out every nite at 8:30 pm.

Life is better. But you hit the nail with the hammer as far as me.....it was the mental that is the hardest to fight.:welcome:

Comment

mental addiction

Hi Mayi, try and get into a routine with the cds, they will definitely help. Also, try and keep yourself motivated - I read a few books eg. Allen Carr's - how to control alcohol (this really had a big effect on me!) and Augustus Burrough's "Dry". But the biggest tip when you get those mental cravings is log on here!!! Janicexx
      AF since 9 May 2012
      Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

mental addiction

Hi Mayi,
        My boyfriend recently said he believes he is over the mental addiction - because he used drinking to feel stronger, funnier, bravery, wiser, etc ... and he now knows he is all that without drinking. Do you drink to feel certain qualities about yourself? If so, you might want to focus on recognizing that those qualities are a part of you without alcohol.

(Doesn't work for me, because I drink to hide and avoid.)
        Hugs,
        imatree

Comment

mental addiction

Hi Mayi, I too struggled more with the mental addiction, I have never had any noticeable
          physical withdrawal symptoms, but the mental ones were hell. I say were because after
          3 months it's much easier now. When I had the urge to drink I used the AA suggestion
          which is say to yourself I'll wait half an hour and see how I feel then, then say to yourself
          I'll wait a little longer, I did find this helped very often the urge would disappear. I also
          try not to keep alcohol in the house,although my husband likes red wine, but as long
          as it remained unopened I would be fine, but half opened bottle would be a danger sygnal to me. Best of luck Paula.

Comment

mental addiction

Thank u 4 the suggestions and support. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic this morning. Just being able to talk about my struggle and know that I'm not alone helped me set up a plan to listen to the cd's and continue taking the supplements. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X