At what point does it get easier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STL, Sending you postive AF energy! When I felt like slipping, I came here immediately. For me taking those few minutes to read, post, read made all the difference. The people here are amazing and supportive. There is no way I'd be sneeking up on 90 days (Sat.), if not for the peeps here and my commmitment to come here before I made a decision to do something stupid. Have a great AF day!!

Comment

Thanks for the positive energy Ginger--I need it
      “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

NotHappyHourHappyLife;1687801 wrote:

And at first, I had the self discipline to listen to the rules I set up with my little voice of temptation. I played along with the new rules. I convinced myself that I HAD over reacted, that I COULD moderate. I drifted away from my non-drinking support system (like MWO) and several months later, I realize that I was back to where I was before- only worse. Yes, I do have a problem. :alf:

Patty
        LOVE your posts, Patty.

To paraphrase Robin Williams, "we were breaking our standards faster than we could lower them."

For me, when I finally logged in here I was so sick of the merry go round that I was absolutely grateful beyond belief to be sober. I was tired and ate a lot, but I even enjoyed the night sweats knowing they were cleaning me out. Getting sober has NOT been a walk in the park by any means - but as they all said before me, SO worth it.

Hope you're doing well, STL.

Pav

Comment

NoSugar;1687742 wrote: Hi, STL

Or maybe I will end up a better self because I sure have learned some important lessons about humility, control, addiction, dependence on others, surrender, and acceptance. If you can relax into it and just let it happen naturally as you continue not to drink, you'll be fine. I hope you find it to be the really great adventure I have.

All the best, NS
          LOVE this, NS!

Comment

Turnagain;1687780 wrote: Hi Light - and welcome to you and all the others who are just tuning in to find support and a way out of the dreary, dark dungeon of drug addiction!

Our wonderful warbling Byrdie is right on about the 13 day milestone and there's new research to support that. Turns out the grey matter in our brains actually increases in volume with just two weeks of abstinence. Wow! That's really cool. More is better with brain!

And speaking of brains, once you start getting more of that executive function dusted off from the effects of years and years of drinking, the whole process of healing begins to become less painful and more exciting with every passing day. Our BRAINS are the number one tool we have to make choices and addiction takes choice away by damaging those areas in charge of good decision-making - and then there's all the damage that the drug alcohol does to our dopamine receptors and the rest of the delicate chemical soup we need to function fully and happily in life.

So take comfort in knowing that your brain along with all the other damaged body systems are healing every day and in every way.

The healing formula is basic: 0 drug + time = Healing

Want to accelerate that and turbocharge your healing? Add these three simple and essential actions to your healthy new routine with 100% guaranteed great results:

- eat whole, healthy foods to fuel the machine with the right balance of natural glucose instead of the crazy *ss straight sugar shot you were getting with alcohol

- ramp up the exercise to activate the endorphins and get your happy brain chemicals perking again

- add in daily doses of gratitude to rebuild those damaged dopamine receptors

Okay...I'm going to add a 4th factor in happy healing - reframe the experience.

This isn't about what you are "giving up"
            (brain damage, liver damage, heart damage, loss of self-respect and self-esteem, depression, anxiety, endangering others, hurting family, friends, employers, strangers, wasted money, wasted years and crapped out colon)

Finding freedom from addiction is all about what you are GETTING
            :

- healthy brain, respect, time, productivity, peace of mind, happiness, admiration of friends, family, employers and my pugs, bigger bank account, and a chance to really live again - fully. These are great REWARDS, in and of themselves for not drinking, but be sure to also give yourself some tangible treats along the way to mark milestones...Indulge yourself or better yet...indulge yourself AND others with something special...

Harness your power....Light! The land of the FREE is an amazing place to be!!
            Oh my goodness, this one, too. I'll stop replying, but you all are amazing. You should cut and paste these to the toolbox. Thanks, Turnagain!

Comment

Turn,

Your words of wisdom really resonated with me. Once I 're-programmed' my brain to focus on everything I was gaining from being AF rather than fretting about all that i thought I was losing, it really became a 'no brainier'. I am now 4 years AF and so grateful for deciding to take control of my life!

John
              John
              AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

Quick update on lucky day #13..

Good news, bad news....

The good news for me was I made it (am now om day 14). Bad news, it certainly didn't feel any easier for sure (in fact, it seemed even harder then maybe day 4 for example..maybe I was full of more hope at the time). Not sure what I expected, but had a harder time this weekend than the last . In order to avoid AL at all costs, I basically had to totally rearrange my days to make sure I didn't cave (basically avoid going anywhere). I wanted to drink, and it felt more like a problem as I had to work so hard not to. Every little thing made me edgy and set me off easily (I was in some serious physical pain from an injury that didn't help). Maybe a completely different life is what it takes (if it does I will try like hell to do it), but was honestly hoping my cravings would have declined some by now...I'm glad I didn't give up, but still hope there is some normal life I can lead after this..or maybe not. Onward to shoot for 30 days....
                “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

STL

Patience is not generally one of the virtues of an addict - it certainly isn't mine! Our inclination to escape/numb/celebrate quickly probably is one thing that made alcohol so appealing. It works fast!

I watch in wonder as some people on here seem to feel great so quickly. I felt pretty awful for a couple weeks and not great for a few months. Your whole metabolism has to switch from using ethanol as a fuel source -- not to mention all the psychological and behavioral adjustments that are needed.

Treat yourself like a person who has been critically ill because, in fact, you have. It you had just gotten out of a full body cast, you'd have to learn to sit again, then walk with a walker, then with a cane... you would not expect to be back jogging in a couple weeks.

Please try not to burden yourself with expectations and certainly don't compare yourself to others. Give yourself permission to heal at your own pace. The real you will emerge and I'm sure you'll find it worth the wait.

All the best, NS

Comment

Thanks NS- That is great advice

STL

Comment

WAY TO GO, STL!

You made it past day 13... which was a milestone to you, I think? So you were Crabby Abby... at least you were sober to crab about it!

Now that you have 2 weeks under your belt, protect them. That is 336 hours that your body has enjoyed being sober... 20,160 minutes of healing time. Those days belong to you- you own them, and nobody can take them away from you.

Tomorrow will be a stitch easier, and the day after that.. another stitch. Pretty soon, you'll be all stitched up.

HUGS! :l Patty
                      "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                      so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                      :hug:

Comment

Welll done STL.

Keep it going friend. Nice posts on the money NS and Patty.

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

It's gets better once we accept who we are, and not fight it anymore.
                          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Thanks all for the support and encouraging words- So this is weird...I have not taken any prescription medicine (yet anyway) but I had a 30 day supply of kudzu I started before I actually quit (which ran out on me on Monday) along with these glutamine chews (I was taking 8 a day since I quit, or 20gs per day), along with some other vitamins. I decided after 2 weeks since the kudzu was gone and was feeling ok to cut the chews down to 5g per day since Monday. Today during lunch I had to pull my car over after getting really shaky hands, dizziness and blurred vision (I was seeing triplicate), as well as feeling very irritable today. I never had anything but strong anxiety this time I quit (no other withdrawal symptoms) but today it feels like they came back on delay. I laid in my car for a bit, went and got some water and had a few chews and feel a little better now, but still kinda groggy (like I’m on meds..which I’m not). I guess this means I probably should go back to what I was taking, but it seems odd after this much time? If anyone else ever had this or heard of this happening, please advise…Thanks

STL

Comment

Hi STL - I'm sorry you're experiencing these symptoms! While I understand that you are not looking for a diagnosis from non-medical people - I am going to preface my reply here with the disclaimer that you should consult a doctor asap should the symptoms persist or intensify.

That being said...here's some general information that may help you get to the bottom of the situation and maybe even help you get better!

The symptoms you describe sure sound like hypoglycemia. Here's a link from the Mayo Clinic with more information:

Hypoglycemia Symptoms - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

Some of us start out hypoglycemic before we become addicted....some of us become hypoglycemic AFTER we become addicted. Regardless of the chicken-egg conundrum here, research shows that the vast majority of alcohol addicted people have some degree of hypoglycemia. No surprise really, since ethanol instantly metabolizes as glucose on a cellular level and we are glucose burning machines.

As the lovely and wise NoSugar pointed out so eloquently....healing is a process. And once we get our expectations aligned with that, it becomes a matter of figuring out how to keep that process on track and even expedite it as much as possible. Coming here for advice is a great, positive step. Sometimes hearing that others have experienced the same or similar symptoms can be a bit of a comfort.

In my drinking days, I often skipped meals in a misguided effort to get a buzz more quickly with fewer calories. That's a double whammy for the system. And I did this for years. I sure paid a huge price. Besides really screwing up the brain chemistry, the drug alcohol really messed up my thyroid (it was so screwed up it had to be removed) and I am still systematically working to restore my metabolism and insulin balance. Without going into the TMI zone, let's just say it took a couple years to get my bowels working right again. I've done a whole lot of healing, but even at 3 years plus of AF living, I've still got more healing to do. I am so grateful I am getting better every day.

As you heal, you definitely need to really watch how you fuel yourself. Whole, healthy foods are a must. Go organic if you can....with the idea of packing in more nutrients with fewer pesticides. There is also a lot of biochemical repair that needs to take place. I found quite a bit of helpful information about supplements in the book: Seven Weeks to Sobriety by Joan Matthews-Larson. She also has quite a bit of information online:

Alcoholism Treatment Program, Alcoholism Addiction Treatment

Here's a specific link for supplements to help correct hypoglycemia:

Identifying & correcting the biochemical disruption of hypoglycemia and alcoholism

I was fairly faithful about supplementing for most of my first year of AF living. Now, I'm down to a general multivitamin along with a high-quality liquid Vitamin B complex and odds and ends like a mega D plus L-trytophan to help with sleep (the long sunny summers and long dark winters are especially hard on us northern latitude types) I'm not knocking anyone's product, but I buy most of my supps online at iherb or at amazon as opposed to the proprietary (and often expensive) blends that are offered on various recovery sites.

Congratulations on your first 14 days! While healing is a long-term process, your body has already done some remarkable recovery under the hood. Keep at it on all fronts and you'll just keep adding all those stitches that Patty talked about. The benefits of AF living is worth all the hard work!

Laura

**Shout out to Paguy John - thanks for your inspirational example of 4 years - We're coming up the trail behind you!
                              Sober for the Revolution!
                              AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Appreciate this Turn-Sorry, for the slow response, I went to sleep an as soon as I got out of work yesterday and didn?t wake up until now (and still feel kinda weird). Some great info here. I don?t think its hypoglycemia (although I?m not a doctor either) because that is related to low blood sugar but part of my impetus to stop drinking for good this time were my last blood test results I got for a health insurance program for my work. My last tests were a concern because I actually had a very large increase in blood sugar (so maybe I?m Hyperglycemic? (so they are concerned now I?m pre-diabetic, but I know it can be brought on by heavy AL drinking)) and my triglycerides were off the charts (the highest the nurse had ever seen..she half- jokingly called me as soon as she saw them to check that I was still alive!) and insisted I see my family doctor right away. I admitted to my doctor I had been drinking the night before the tests and didn?t fast properly, so maybe it was a false alarm. Or maybe its not. I?m going back tomorrow to get more blood tests, but have started taking more b-vitamins, and L-glutamine, and have order more kudzu (it seemed to have helped). Not sure medically what is wrong with me, but I think repair is a long process like you said and at least glad that for now 16 days I haven?t made it worse. I?ll update with any major changes. Thanks

Hyperglycemia in diabetes Symptoms - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

STL

Comment

Working...
                                X