Alcoholism-- is it a disease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a short side discussion connected with my family problems question-- Some say it should not be called a disease, because that is denigrating to people with "real" diseases like cancer. They say it should be called alcohol abuse or an alcohol problem. Others say that since it is something you didn't choose and it damages your body and inhibits it from functioning normally, that it should be called a disease. I think there actually are different kinds of alcohol problems. Some people really are just alcohol abusers-- that is they use alcohol inappropriately and often excessively in a damaging way. They need a combination of therapy and desire to stop or moderate. Others cannot drink without drinking excessively. Their chemicals take over and they lose all ability to control their drinking. These people are true alcoholics. About 80%, maybe more, of these cases are genetically based. Still, the question remains--disease or not? Any opinions?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Beatle, great topic but there is always going to be people who are in both camps, and will feel strongly either way. As I mentioned yesterday, it meets the definition of a disease, but as someone else posted (and we learn in AA) it is also our bodies having an allergic reaction to alcohol and the insanity of our thinking because of it.

As a sponsor put it, it is akin to going out and eating poached eggs and having an allergic reaction. Once out of the hospital and healthy again, I decide that I want eggs again, but this time I am going to scramble them so I won't have the same 'allergic' reaction that I had last time - and truly believing it.

Anyway, my two cents!
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

disease?

I don't think that it is known that alcohol is genetically based. Researchers do suspect that, based on the fact that it runs in families. But imagine all the social factors that play a role in that? If you are in an abusive alcoholic family, that is what you learn.

Also, I have personally seen a whole family respond to horrible parental emotional abuse and trauma by severely abusing alcohol, even though all were raised by teetotal relatives for the most part.

After reading so many popular books about alcohol problems, it seems clear that the experts themselves do not know. They all put forth theories. Some say it is a mental illness. Others suggest it is all biologically based. We know what AA says: incurable disease. Allergy? Allan Carr really mocks that theory. As he said, if you have an allergy you don't typically run toward the offending substance. There isn't any test for this thing! Seven Steps for Sobriety makes some good points about nutritional deficiencies in alcoholics, but i think those are effects rather than causes of alcoholism. Certainly, they keep the alcoholic from getting well.

MRI studies can show how alcoholics respond to a drink, parts of their brains light up. But parts of the brain light up for emotions too. The studies show alcoholics have pleasure from drinking.

I personally think alcoholism as a disease model is flawed. Why? Because if the alcoholics stop the alcohol, they often pick up another addiction with another substance. That suggests it is not the substance itself that is the issue. The addictions for food, booze, work and gambling are similar. Are we going to call gambling addiction a disease?

On the other hand, while I don't think there is some alcoholic gene, there are a number of physical problems that are associated with alcohol abuse, so I suppose these could be grouped together in a "disease" called alcoholism.

Maybe the term disease is a problem. For example, if you have depression, how would you like it if someone said you had a mental disease? Not too good! Mental illness? Yeah, that's more acceptable.

Comment

Well put Nancy. As far as the genetic factor goes, many studies have been done that prove there is at least some genetic factor. These involve twins split up at birth that grow up in entirely different environments yet in many cases both become alcoholics. Also these studies often involve adopted children. In addition, mapping family trees shows a much higher prevalence in some families that can't be explained by social factors.

I don't know where the 80% figure comes from (I think I read it on this website), but at least genetics has to be recognized as one major factor, though not the only one.

I realize that in the end, it doesn't matter much what it is called-- dealing with it and overcoming is the key issue here. I, for one, don't like the stigma attached to the word disease, even if it is technically correct. But maybe I have to get used to it. (And I still think there is a difference between alcohol abusers/problem users and real alcoholics, who can pretty much never drink moderately.)

-b
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Alcoholism

Whether or not Alcoholism is a disease, I have seen it in my family in a severe form. I personally feel it is more of a mental illness than anything else and needs treatment for the rest of ones life.

So, that is why I have stepped up to the plate when I found myself in "trouble". I don't have blackouts or drink out of control in social situations, but I do find myself "craving" several glasses of something each night, and it has recently caused problems in my marriage. I found that I could really relate to My Way Out because of the fact that the author was a professional in a stable relationship who was trying to solve her own problem.

I have just started the program and have been working with the vitamins/hypnosis and have cut back on my drinking (NA some nights 1 - 2 glasses of wine others), but I still feel the old habits lurking. I have ordered the Topamax and but am reluctant to use it. Anyone else have experience with this?

Comment

Everyone makes good points, but in the end I believe it comes down to truly admitting to yourself that you have a problem with alcohol. We can all read self-help books into we are blue in the face (God knows I have), but simply reading a book won't make a difference. It is the ACTIONS that you take because of what you have read, learned, etc. that dictate whether or not you are going to stay AF or Mods. Seeking and giving support from MWO, seeking of clergy in your church, attending AA meetings - those are a result of a personal decision to stop or moderate your drinking.

Like I said, everyone here has an opinion as to what they believe it correct (as do all the authors that we read), but in the end it comes down to the actions of the individual.
            Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Hi Trying....glad to have you with us. I can't help you with the topamax, it sure seems to work for most. You might want to start a new thread in Just Starting Out....there are lots of people on here that can give you excellent advice.....see you around...Buffy

Comment

Great Topic - Just returned from my shrink and this was the topic of conversation

Timely! I am perplexed at how the medical model of alcoholism and the 12 step program can coincide. We don't treat cancer with a higher power or saying I'm sorry to those that we hurt. I do not have an answer. As with most things, I suppose that the answer lies somewhere in between.

For me the answer lies in neither. I have learned to control my own body. No excuses.

Comment

Hi there trying -

I really related to your post. I think it'd the way you describe yourself...functioning well, but craving and concerned...that's me too. Anyway, good luck and I'LL BE LOOKING FOR YOUR POSTS.

G2G
                  "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Comment

It seems like what a lot of people are saying is it doesn't really matter how you classify it, all that matters is that you recognize the problem and do something to rectify it.

Fair enough. But what I think matters alot to each and every one of us and is a huge factor in why our lives are the way they are is how alcoholism is percieved by the rest of the world, mostly non-alcoholics.

If it is seen as something we can overcome with sheer willpower, then it is natural to assume that means we had the power and will to become alcoholic in the first place and are just weak morally and could reform our ways if we really wanted to.

I think it is important to recognize the disease-like aspects of alcoholism (including the role of genetics, chemicals in the brain, nutrition, environment-- all factors in causing any disease) if it is ever to lose its stigma. With less stigma attached, more people would recognize early signs and get help before it got out of control.

I see one reason this website is so popular is that it is a way to deal with alcoholism privately. (why? obviously because of the stigma attached.) Would you do the same if you found out you had cancer? (Actually, it's not so long ago that cancer held a stigma, too, and in many Asian countries it still does, and families keep it a secret if a member gets cancer and sometimes the patient isn't even told he/she has it).

Anyway, I admit to feeling horribly ashamed about my alcohol problem and not wanting to share it with anyone. I did that for years before I sought help, making it far worse than it would have been had I "nipped it in the bud".

With less stigma attached to it, more people will seek help earlier and the lives of alcoholics will be made far better far sooner. I think more recognition of the disease-like aspects of alcoholism will help remove the stigma. (I still don't think it has to be called a disease, but that's semantic.)

Comment

Working...
                    X