New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New

Okay, I'm not only new this site, I'm new to chat rooms or whatever they're called, so this feels a little uncomfortable to me. Anyway, I got MWO book last month after my husband blew up when he found I'd smuggled a bottle of wine from his stash and drank it. He's not an Alcohol Abuser, and doesn't understand at all my problem. He's taken to "hiding" alcohol from me so that he will have it when he wants a drink. He will keep a bottle of alcohol for YEARS, and of course eventually I find it.... Anyway, I really liked the book and feel that I can relate to many things in it. I went to AA meetings with my Dad years ago (before I had the problem and he was a recovering alcoholic). I don't really care for the meetings and like the idea of handling this more privately. I'm successful in other areas of my life, but feel like I could easily beocme even more addicted to alcohol if I don't take steps right now.

Anyway, I'm embarrassed and coming from an Alcoholic family I understand the ramifications of alcoholism. I don't drink enough to black out, but I definitely drink 2-3 drinks (usually wine) each evening. I would like to think that I can become a moderate drinker, but may have to face abstinence. I'm picking up my Topomax today (ordered online) and that will complete my program, which I plan to start when I return from a business trip next week. I'm a little nervous about taking the Topomax, which is why I've put off starting until after my trip. Any thoughts?

New

Dear Trying: For me, alcoholism has been progressive. I didn't always drink the way I do now. I cannot drink moderately (that doesn't mean you can't), because when I open a bottle I always finish it. 2 - 3 drinks for me would not be enough at all. I've had success w/this site. I come on here every day even if I've binged the night before. I get a lot of encouragement & strength. Good luck to you. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Comment

New

Hi Trying and welcome! I had never been part of an internet site before either but the support here has helped me make a lot of changes in my life. It helps knowing there are so many others out there in the same situation.

I am not on topa but many people have had good success with it. Look forward to hearing how it works for you. Stick around!!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

New

Hi trying..good luck..i,ve not done the Topa thing but get immense support from this site...i,m still moderating the best i can and so relieved i havent been sloshed for months now!!

Regards Cassy

Comment

New

No Topa?

I've been trying just to do the vitamin regime and hypno for the past few weeks along with moderating. I have to say I have been able to moderate for the last month -- a day or two of no alcohol followed by 2-3 drinks one night. But it still bothers me that it's on my mind -- especially driving home after a long day, I really crave that drink! I would like to try to do this without Topa because for some reason the neurological thing really puts me off. Have any of you had these thoughts?

Comment

New

Welcome Trying - so far I'm only on day 2 of topa so can't give much advice - go to the thred on topa. I think it helps to go alcohol free for a while if you can before moderating. I also hope to moderate eventually but am becoming more accepting of the idea that if i have to be a non-drinker, thats ok too. Sounds like you are catching it a bit earlier than I did.

Comment

New

Welcome... I wish I had taken steps early in my drinking career when I only drank 2 - 3 a night... oh, wait a minute, I don't think I ever drank so little! As soon as I started drinking at 18 I was immediately a heavy drinker. Only took me 21 years to face the fact that it's a problem. So - good for you that you are taking this on before you begin to drink more heavily. I've been on this site about 5 weeks, still haven't managed to reach any goals I've set, but I keep coming here every day and each day I get more committed and closer to recovery.
              I'm beginning Topa tomorrow. From what I've read here it seems to affect everyone differently. Some people don't have the 'topa dopa', some do. I'm hoping like hell that I don't because I have to be in my brain all day at work. But frankly, it can't be much worse than having the blurred mind after a night of heavy drinking.
              Good luck!
              Hugs,
              imatree

Comment

Working...
              X