It is actually getting better already - nearly AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, for those who don't know I was running something like 16 or so oz of vodka a day, spread throughout the day...pretty much for years. Adjusted my "schedule" while I was working but always really really bad between jobs.

My plan had been to taper off this week (I started 3ish days ago) but with some encouragement here I decided to speed up my plan. I had something like 5 oz yesterday - I'm going to try for AF today but if not, it'll be tomorrow. I think if I say today and then don't I'll feel like I failed and be tempted to give up. If I plan for tomorrow but make it today I'll feel awesome, instead. Which is 3 or 4 days sooner than I'd thought I would need. Especially since I also have to cut out caffeine other than my morning coffee (it's coffee again now, yay!) to make it work for me. I do also smoke though, and I'm not worrying about that until I get the liquor taken care of.

When I was lurking, I was mostly scared about starting to quit; even with tapering since I'd been drinking so much and it was so constant throughout the day. I also have anxiety issues so I was double worried that even if the withdrawals weren't bad, they'd trigger panic attacks.

It helped me to read stories about folks who had done it already so I thought I'd share mine.

I've definitely been twitchy and irritable, worst on the first day when I about halved my intake. I still am to one degree or another, but it's getting better. I also had a lot of leg spasms the first night - I hate those, but I've actually had worse before. My sleep patterns are wonky, but honestly they already WERE wonky with all the soda and liquor I was dumping in my body. Lightheaded at times, but it seems to pass if I get up and move or grab some juice. My appetite is meh - but again it already was. Food is tasting better though when I do eat it and it's easier for me to eat a few small meals spaced out. Before I was usually having a couple bites for breakfast, a decent lunch at a random time, and then often skipping dinner. My digestive system is out of whack, but again...it already was, at least now it is because it's starting to detox a bit.

My head and thinking feel a little thick, but I also feel more aware of things than I was. I noticed last night that the weather was gorgeous instead of just being focused on getting the dog to finish peeing so I could go back to my drink. And I actually wasn't sure if I wanted to finish my last drink...I probably should have poured it out at that point and I bet I would have been fine.

It was really nice when I ran to the gas station yesterday to know that if anything happened it wouldn't be because I'd misgauged and was still a little buzzing from my last drink.

I've told more people than I planned to (though didn't really get into how much I'd previously been drinking with most) and they've all been very supportive. I guess part of me expected lectures or "Omg what did you do that you made this choice?!" but everyone seems to take it in stride that I want to make some choices to make my life better. And I'm sure anyone who was concerned is even more pleased.

This got longer than I planned, but like I said, I read the heck out of the "Just starting out" threads when I was lurking so now everyone else has one more to read. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, is the important part. And I'm already feeling better about myself just for starting. I know there's a lot of work yet to go, but one day at a time!
    I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
    AF on: 8/12/2014

Hi LavendarBlue,in my experiences with withdrawal,i find i'm better off going very easy on the caffiene and smokes,especially when you make the jump and go completely af,you want to keep your system as calm as you can,i also like"tension tamer"tea throughout the day and melatonin for sleep,although i've heard benadryl is pretty good,just keep it up,i wish you strength
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi paulywogg and thank you! You've got a good point about the smoking, that really is another thing that I think calms me down but actually messes with the system. I'll be thinking about that

The only good thing with the sleep is at least I'm unemployed anyway. It makes my moods worse and means I have to make myself stay busy; but I can mostly sleep odd hours without too much issue.

I'm trying for it! I was thinking about pouring something with my late dinner, but it doesn't really sound good so I'm going to see how long I can hold onto that. If it doesn't really sound good and I'm trying to quit, I should drink something else. *is stubborn*

Comment

Your appetite will return in time. A doctor explained why we don't eat, which I found fascinating. I wouldn't eat for days while I would drink. Apparently with so much alcohol in your system, your brain tells your stomach to go into survival mode and keep stuff out. Interesting because during detox I wouldn't eat for days, but still feel hungry.

Any chance you can go see a doctor after you're completely off alcohol? They can give you medication to help with post-acute withdrawal problems such as sleep and also possibly to help with craving as well. But that discussion is best left between you and your doctor.
        In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Hi Lavender do you have an "alternate" drink handy? If you decide that tonight is the night to go AF, but are used to drinking pretty steadily, having something in your hand to drink; non-AL of course, could be useful. I went AF a few nights ago and used "Snapple on the rocks" as my drink of choice that evening and every evening since then. Also, I bought some chocolates. While I don't usually like sweets, AL has a lot of sugars and I found that my body craved the sugar as much as anything. I don't plan to do the sugar thing for very long, but it has helped. Keep posting and let us know of your progress!

Comment

Thank you, Alky and okoren!

The appetite thing makes a lot of sense to me. The doctor part is tough, I've got to sort out some kind of health insurance. I've been putting that off since I was laid off (non drinking related) from my last job. (been putting it OFF 'cause I was too busy drinking, though!) In the meantime, if I need it my family has said they'll help me and I'm making myself remember that this time around.

And yes on alternate drinks! I'm not sure if I would have thought of it without this board, though. (the last times I went AF it was because I was sick, so I didn't really plan it out well) I went on a spending spree at the grocery store and am sitting here with some assorted juices, a couple spritzers, some sparkling water in regular and berry, some Gatorade...and I also picked up some lemons and have just now realized I actually really like lemon water. Another friend of mine recommended herbal tea as well - I used to love that stuff and might pick some up tomorrow.

I'm not technically AF today as I did eventually have a mini drink after dinner; but I'm set on no more tonight and making tomorrow my start date.

Thanks again for the support everyone, it's been helping so much! Plus one of my triggers is actually being online - so now when I am online I'm keeping this page open while I do other things. If I start getting tempted I come back here and read a few pages. It actually has really helped a lot!

Comment

Lavender,i do hope today is your day 1i can also relate to being on the computer as a trigger,when drinking i tended to watch old music videos on you tube haha,so when i post here i just use my phone and avoid the computer area like the plague! i love lemon water too,ice cold,i usually have alternating bottles in the freezer,helps with cravings for me,wishing you strength sweetie

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thank you so much; I did read this earlier and I did stick it out! Day 1 has happened, yay! And yeah, eventually last night I made it easier on myself and just walked away from the computer and read in bed instead.

Comment

Lavender, congrats on day 1! My personal opinion is that is a huge milestone. Yes, there are more milestones to come, a day at a time, but that first one is REALLY big. I hope you got a big dose of self confidence from it and gave yourself a big hug!

Comment

LavenderBlue;1693039 wrote: Thank you so much; I did read this earlier and I did stick it out! Day 1 has happened, yay! And yeah, eventually last night I made it easier on myself and just walked away from the computer and read in bed instead.
                    AWESOME!!! Congrats on Day 1 LavBlue! Seriously proud of you. :huggy
                    Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Hey LB! Great job! Remember to just take this thing one day at a time. It's so much more manageable that way. Glad to see you diving right in!
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Way to go! Here's to Day 2.

Comment

I'm so happy for your day 1! just stick with it,a heads up though,it takes about 3 days for the al to be out of your system,days 4 and 5 can get a little hairy sometimes,this is when your brain starts screaming(just in my experience)hold strong and just get that first week done and out,good job

Comment

Thanks all and thanks for the headsup paulywogg; it's been a long time since I've stayed AF that long so good to know that'll be normal instead of just "OMG what is going on here?!" Worst case I'll grab my mom and head out of the house on the weekend - she's been wanting to spend more time with me anyway but I was always so busy drinking that I didn't want to do anything. >.<

Comment

:dancin: Just back from a week out of town... Keep going Lavender ! :groupluv:
                              "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                              so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                              :hug:

Comment

Working...
                              X