When people prefer you drunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you handle that. I have people tell me how much fun I am when I am drunk even if I am not laughing at the events. My husband likes me to relax and drink too.
    I have been considering calling ahead at restaurants and telling them to make all drinks that I order virgin, so I don't have to explain why I am not drinking. I know I am more fun when I am drunk, but I do not enjoy myself for days after. I was reading another post about anxiety and man that is what gets me everytime. The what happened and who did I see, what did I say all of it, I can't stand being laughed at even if they are laughing in a good way. I don't like it.
    Here we go again.

AL FREE since Saturday the 14th of March 2009

I was really worried about this too when I stopped drinking 6 months ago. I felt like I was under a lot of pressure to be the fun time girl. But you know what? It doesn't matter what other people want, including your husband, you MUST be true to yourself. It's really really obvious that you don't want to drink, so DON'T. You don't have to explain to anyone why you don't drink! Would you let someone pressure you into something else that was going to kill you and make you feel awful? I don't think so!

You be strong and tell them all to get stuffed!

PS I found the quickest and easiest way to get people off my back was to tell them I'm an alcoholic! Boy, do they back of quickly!
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Dear P,

Most people do not pay as much attention to what we drink as we think they do. Your husband may not want you to stop right now as change can upset the status quo.

Do what is right for YOU. You can always say, I have been wanting to see how I would feel living a healthier lifestyle.

I wish you luck, you may have to pull your hsuband along for the ride. A few of us have had to do this with either no spousal support or even worse one that pulls the rug out from under you. It is worth the trip!!

Wishing you strength for your journey!
      Mary

Comment

Islandgirl

Hi P,

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have been AF for 4 days and my husband is out of town but I do wonder how to handle myself next weekend when he returns and we go out with friends. I think I just have to tell him straight out I really don't see any other way. The thought really fills me with anxiety though. People also think I am a fun party girl, but I too hate myself the next day. Glad I'm not alone and neither are you! :h

Comment

Working...
        X