Just another cautionary tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MR~ Thanks for sharing your story, you obviously have so much to bring to this forum!

IWMB~ I want to share your writing on" Cravings" very well written and I feel this is a proper thread. Thanks again

The Craving: (in a most wicked and condescending voice), "Day 3 for you. You must be proud! All the congratulations must give you a sense that you can actually fight me off! Haa haa! For now, you will. The physical symptoms you feel right now are your strength, no one likes to feel like shit, oh the embarrassment, the shame, the guilt, the missing work, the laying around for a whole day, the not remembering what you said or what was said to you, the shameful texting..... Go ahead, think you can beat me"*

ME: "I hate you Craving. I know you don't care. All you care about is getting me to take that first sip, that first drink. Do not for one second think that I am not aware of the false sense of hope you give me on these first days when I feel sick and ashamed.*

I don't know how you can be so powerful, the anxiety you can create in me is distressing. I don't want you now, but I know in a few days I will begin to bend to your lure. How do you do it? What sick pleasure do you derive from this? What is wrong with you?"*

The Craving: "You're right, I don't care... My game is to get you to take that first drink because we all know, there is no such thing as ONE drink for an alcoholic. Even if one night you take only ONE drink, it won't be too many nights away that the one drink will turn into an oblivion of drinks and I will have won 2-3 of your days. Days which you can never get back! I know you so well!! and that is my pleasure"*

ME: "You make me sick! You make me physically, emotionally, and spiritually sick! For now Craving, your power is strong and for so long you've made me think you were more powerful. You put up a good deceitful and manipulative fight, BUT I'm on to you now... I know the anxiety you can create can be so strong, I can feel it run through my veins! But I'm on to you. You keep me up at night but as I get stronger, I will sleep through your evil tactics. And you know what Craving? All I have to do is .. NOT TAKE THAT FIRST DRINK! - I am on to you Craving and I will fight you to the end ... and as time goes on, you will weaken. In fact, in time I won't even think about you, and if you do come lurking around, I will remember your once held power and Will Not give it back to you! You are an evil SOB and I have my fight on!"*

The Craving: " We shall see, LoL!"*

ME: "And so we shall...."*

Good Night. Fighting It. Hate Cravings...*
    IWMB*
    AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm much worse for wear this time, but back in the fight. As a few of you have confirmed, relapses are very difficult to come back from. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but this time I realize that it's quit or die. That's my only choice now.

It's wonderful to see so many old friends here who have maintained their sobriety through everything. We all have problems and dramas, yet so many of you have managed to navigate them without AL. I still have a lot of work to do. But please know that even at my worst this time, I was reading every day, soaking in your words, and remembering how badly I wanted to get back to a life of sanity.

Very nice to meet you IWYB and Matt. It was very thoughtful of you both to take the time to respond. I'll be posting in the Nest, so hopefully we will get to know each other better. And yes, I have that conversation with AL way too many times.

I have a new plan. It's very rigid this time - right down to what I will eat each day and when, an arsenal of supps, more exercise, and most of all - no isolating. I am blessed with good friends IRL that I keep pushing away. That ends now. I'm leaving next week to stay with a dear friend. She's a lovely person - health nut, non-drinker, loves nature, etc. - so I know I will be safe there. I plan to use that time to get out of my cube and unplug from technology, get some fresh air and sunshine, and heal my body and mind. I'll make the bigger decisions about my life when I return.

I need to get to work, but will check into the NN when I get home. I am so grateful to all of you. xx
      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

MossRose thank you for sharing - these lessons help everyone. I am sorry you had to go through what you did and I hope it makes you stronger and able to make this quit your last!

Comment

Mossie :l
          Thank you for your honesty. You are spot on with your wise words. We still love you and we will always be here for you. Hang in there my dear friend! :h
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

hi mossy. glad youre back to do this.

Comment

MossRose, thank you so much for sharing this and I'm so glad you came back here. (Also, nice to meet you.) I'm also newish here while NOT new to relapse. All the good thoughts your way!
              I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
              AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Thanks so much for the post ! it will help me to keep my guard on !!
                Rahul
                --------------------------------------------
                Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                Rebooting ... done ...
                Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Welcome back Moss! I was the relapse queen, and after so many rounds of getting back into the ring, EVEN I GOT IT! Get on back over to the NN! There is strength in numbers! Hugs dear lady. Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Glad you're back Moss. It's never too late to get sober, and no matter what slips, relapses we have, we must continue to believe in ourselves. I believe in you.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Glad you decided to come back MossRose & made it to the Nest as well!
                      This is the right decision, we all know it is!
                      We'll be here waiting for your return. Grateful for your good friend willing to help too.

Wishing you the very best!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

MossRose, glad to see you back! I was wondering about you
                        AF since 10/20/2013
                        Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                        Meat free since 09/20/2008
                        ---------------------------------------
                        With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this Moss. "Romancing" is such a perfect word. I found myself doing it today a bit. Reading your experience helped me, and will help many others. Good on you for being back and ready to kick this thing to the curb and never look back.
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Great post. You are mourning you loss right now, its all part of the process. Relapse is the most demoralizing emotion but remember you have embarked on a good fight. U did it once, u can do it again.
                            Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Welcome Back, Moss!! I'm so glad you're back again, ready for your final quit. I look forward to being back on this AF journey with you.. xoxo

Comment

Great post MR, thank you.
                                The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Working...
                                X