Most important lesson learnt from relapse(s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My journey of sobriety started 2 years ago. It's been rocky but thank God iam not where i used to be even though iam not where i want to be. After seven months of sobriety, i had a temporary relapse but got back on the wagon again pretty quickly. Iam on day 14 today for a total of 220 days. I mourned my lost days by going on a bender, but realized pretty quickly that its all part of the enemy's strategy to hold me down. Most valuable lesson i've learnt is to never ever let your guard down. Alcohol is the most cunning, calculating, deceptive enemy you'll ever encounter. Just when u thought you were done, no more cravings, no more thoughts of drinking, doing things you never thought you could do without alcohol like cooking. Out of nowhere, you allow yourself one sip, next thing you know you are calling out from work for 2days in a row and waking up with a beer in your hand.
    2.Where u left of is where you pick up. Doesn't matter how long you have abstained.
    3.Alcohol comes back with vengeance.
    4.Have an exit strategy if you happen to relapse such as a special diet and exercise program
    5.Stay close to a higher power and support group.
    Please add any valuable lessons. I strongly believe that relapses are a very important part of recovery. If you happen to be at stage, please do not be discouraged. You have started a very important journey that you're are more than equipped to finish.
    6. Proper nutrition is 90% of the battle. Load up on protein and greens to curb cravings
    (Any body know why personal avatars go sideways on this site)
    Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Hi Lizker! Glad you're back, and thank you very much for sharing the lessons you learned. No idea on the sideways avatar question, but maybe it doesn't matter so much, so long as your thinking is straight.

Pie

Comment

Pie;1698566 wrote: Hi Lizker! Glad you're back, and thank you very much for sharing the lessons you learned. No idea on the sideways avatar question, but maybe it doesn't matter so much, so long as your thinking is straight.

Pie
      Lol.....i hope is so i can beat this beast once and 4 all.
      Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I needed to read this today and will probably read this again later.

Comment

Oh, so true Lizker! Good for you for getting back on the wagon.
          EVERY time I decide to go on a diet, bingo bongo, I go back to drinking and not eating. So bad! And I could care less how my stomach suffers.
          Good for you for looking at your relapse in such a positive light.
          Not sure if you know about the Newbie Nest Roll Call thread? It helps me a lot to go there everyday and post... good luck girl!
          (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

lizker;1698560 wrote: 2.Where u left of is where you pick up. Doesn't matter how long you have abstained.
            This is SO TRUE!

Thanks for posting this today.

p.s. You still look beautiful even on your side! :l
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Excellent thread Lizker,and you are right on the money about picking up where we left off,actually i got worse!! good job on 2 weeks
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks all for the kind words. It does get better Bris. Eloise i do sneak in there every now and then. K9 thanks. So are you dear. Pauly good to see you still posting here. Where are you in ur journey?

Comment

I agree with Pauly - each binge is a decline.

My therapist who has 25 years of sobriety is always very careful to say, "I'm PROBABLY not going to drink," but is very careful to qualify that. ANY addict can go back to using at ANY time.
                  In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

The opening post is vital for me - exactly what I needed to read today.

Thank you
                    Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

Thanks for this, Liz. I hope you're doing well today.

Pav

Comment

Working...
                      X