New and afraid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and afraid

I am a mid forties female that drank heavily from 29-36, and then from 41 to present.
    I have been having some health issues and am determined to quit for good, but hope it is not too late. I had liver function tests done 3 months ago ( including the INR) and they all came back OK, but have been having alot of GI issues after a binge, with fluid retention and facial rash. I have started with some Milk Thistle and L glutamine.:new:

New and afraid

Hi and welcome! I'm still pretty newbie here, but I can tell you that this is a great and supportive group of people. The "old timers" have some amazing advice, too!

I'm sure someone else can tell ya which threads are super helpful for supplements; but feel free to poke into the Nest if you'd like and if I can make this link work, the Toolbox also has some great advice.

Reading lots and posting has been helping me, I know that much!
    I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
    AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

New and afraid

Hi Welcome,

I am mid 30s, male drinking heavilyfor 10 years. I will tell ya you are at the right place. Checkout new bids best where you can get tons of support.

I am now sober for 6 months now thanks to the wonderful support I got here.
      Rahul
      --------------------------------------------
      Rewiring my brain ... done ...
      Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
      Rebooting ... done ...
      Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

New and afraid

Welcome Thirsty! Change is scary, and it's ok to be afraid. There are many people here who have faced that fear and have a lot of great support and advice. It is entirely possible to fight this addiction and have a better, healthier life! Drop by Newbies Nest for a great, safe place.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

New and afraid

Hi and welcome. Yes, it's scary to admit that we must quit drinking. Like you, I was a drinker for decades, but eventually it caught up to me in every way. My body suffered, my relationships suffered, my life was in turmoil. I still remember the night I made my first post on MWO - I was actually shaking. It ended up being the best decision I have ever made. You have already taken that first step, so now you just need to have a plan in place, and post here often. That really is key...being accountable. We'll stand by your side while you get this all figured out.

Thirsty, you may want to take a look at some of the threads in the Holistic section. Folks post all sorts of interesting things there about supplements and natural ways to beat AL addiction. Good luck to you. Hope to see you in the Newbies Nest.
          Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

New and afraid

Funny - The Thirsty Turtle is a bar I used to drink heavily at located in Sarasota, Florida. Welcome!

If you can swing it, it sounds like a medical detox might be the way to go.
            In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

New and afraid

Welcome! You have definitely come to the right place. The thing that has helped me these last few weeks that I would recommend
              1.Stay plugged in to the Starting out threads,
              Read, read and read some more.
              I started a thread and post my thoughts and stuff every so often.
              I too have made countless vain attempts to stop the horror show called Al consumption.
              Being on this site everyday for hours at a time has helped so much, and has given me a new perspective and since of hope for what I believe is my last quit!
              Good luck and hope to see you around!
              AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

New and afraid

TT it is terrifying at first to stop al, i know i was scare of failing at something else yet again. But at the end of the day it was up to me to get al out of my life. No one could do it for me and even though it was hard to do it is the best decision i have ever made in my life, other than having my children.

As Matt said read and read and i recommend posting like a lunatic with your thoughts and feelings. This keeps me accountable and honest in my journey. I accept i am an alcoholic now and i accept that i can never drink. I dont like it one bit, but i am sure diabetics dont like being diabetic either.

Head over to the newbies nest and settle in.
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

New and afraid

There was a bar in Wisconsin by the name of that also..I am sure there are several. I just thought it would be a cute user name. I was just in Florida a couple of months ago with my little girls. We went to Disney and Cleaarwater, but didn't make it to Sarasota.

Comment

New and afraid

Alky;1699750 wrote: Funny - The Thirsty Turtle is a bar I used to drink heavily at located in Sarasota, Florida. Welcome!

If you can swing it, it sounds like a medical detox might be the way to go.
                    My reply was meant to quote this...oops!

Comment

New and afraid

Welcome to mwo glad you found us. I am not a Dr but i would like to share that green smoothies are very good with detoxification and alkalizing your body. Acidity creates a lot of gi issues. I personally like a spinach, broccoli, mixed berry, (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry and blackberry) and flaxseed smoothie.Add any sweet juice or yogurt for taste. Best taken first thing in the morning.
                      Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

New and afraid

The Thirsty Turtle in Sarasota made the news several years ago. I'll just let you read the story. The things we do when we're wasted...

Woman walked naked through Thirsty Turtle bar in Sarasota, deputies say | HeraldTribune.com
                        In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

New and afraid

HI Thirsty,
                          Welcome to MWO. I'm glad you found us and are ready to start your alcohol-free journey. Looks as though you have done this already. What worked for you the last time you quit? Check out the NNest. So many great supporters there for the restart of your brand new life!
                          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                          X