chocolate, alcohol cravings remedy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read somewhere that certain chemicals in chocolate bind to the same receptors in the brain as alcohol. I have noticed that when iam not drinking i tend to crave milk chocolate, which i keep huge stocks of. It really does take my cravings away. Anyone with experience with chocolate and cravings?
    Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Hi Liz,

I've become a dark-chocolate-covered almonds junkie since quitting alcohol. And I don't begrudge myself a single one!

Comment

I don't know how chocolate works on the brain, but I've never heard of an alcoholic quitting and not craving sugar, since AL is sugar. I'm pretty sure L-Glutamine is recommended by MWO as a supplement to control sugar cravings early on that trigger AL cravings. But regardless of what the research or science says, I started eating dark chocolate almost immediately. I crave it and keep a bag of dark chocolate chips handy at all times!
      Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

I never ate sweets and now I am addicted to chocolates covered peanuts!
        AF since 10/20/2013
        Smoke free since 09/24/2007
        Meat free since 09/20/2008
        ---------------------------------------
        With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

I also developed a sweet tooth when I stopped drinking. I didn't mind at first but when it became problematic I used some L-Glutamine. Worked like a charm

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I occassionally (as in maybe once a week) eat some dark chocolate with sea salt. Anyone had this? It's REALLY good!
            "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
            AF 11/12/11

Comment

I know I ended up glad I picked up emergency candy when folks here recommended it to me! I never craved sugar much before...but I was also drinking something like 5-7 cans of soda a day plus the AL so that'd do it. Other than mini York Peppermint Patties (which I do think I could eat all day if I'm not careful) I've had to remind myself to try eating chocolate and sweets when I'm craving, but it's been really neat to see that they do help. Keeping the L-Glut in mind though, I'll try that if it starts being an issue.
              I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
              AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Thanks all for the input. I happen to be quite unlucky as i think i may be allergic to glut. The last 2 times i tried it, i got some really weird uncomfortable feeling in my head. I wish i could take it but i can't. I tend to stick to a high protein diet instead.
                That's a little different Pine Cone. Do u sprinkle the salt over the chocolate?
                Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Hi Lizker, no it comes that way. It sounds weird but it's delicious.
                  "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                  AF 11/12/11

Comment

Liz,l-glut makes me feel weird too,and kinda sleppy,just eat the chocolate for right now,a little dark choco is supposed to be good for you(they say)
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Liz, I too have had cravings for chocolate, I now have 4 different kinds of ice cream in my freezer, all of them containing different yummy forms of chocolate covered variations. I haven't gained any weight so far, so I will continue with my new love for chocolate as life much better without the alternative. :0
                      kdog
                      Reflect upon your present blessingings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some

Comment

Pinecone - Sometimes things that sound weird are sooo good! Ever since I was a kid, I've had honey on my grilled cheese sandwiches. Everyone tells me that sounds bizarre, but my whole family has always liked it.
                        I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                        AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

I have ice cream every single day now. My latest favorite thing is skinny cow salted caramel pretzel bars - I've been having one daily. A nice portioned serving - works well for the craving and not to go overboard! They're expensive though :-(

I don't have a remedy for it though...sorry...

Comment

Working...
                          X