End of Week 52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Week 52

I have typed the title and read it ten times. Then I read it ten times more.

I find it hard to believe myself and those who've been here a while may remember my series of "End of Week..." posts from last year. Time flies. Scary really.

But what on earth has happened! How have I done this. I have not had a drink for a whole year. I have lost two stone, conquered depression, ran a 10km road race, read books, decorated the house, listened to music, been to gigs, been on holiday, celebrated Christmas, Easter and my birthday without a drink. I have drank for over 30 years until this one.

How?

Coming here for advice and support. Finding will and determination from within by quiet daily contemplation (some call it meditating), getting a new hobby (running) and gaining momentum weekly.

I post this not for praise (MWO has given me tonnes of that and I am too proud to beg for compliments) I post this for two reasons...

1) to return the thanks to those who helped - you knw who you are :h
    2) to show others it IS POSSIBLE

I didn't believe it either. Trust me, trust the seniors here and trust yourself.

If you want it you can have it - it is there for you - life can change - take these words as a sign that there is HOPE when you are low. I have been there. At the moment I am well Iam grateful BUT I am not complacent.

Keep On Keeping On :l
    Last drink 6th September 2013

End of Week 52

Great post and great job on 1 year (although you said you weren't looking for praise). May you have many more to come. Thanks for the inspiration.
    “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

End of Week 52

Congratulations, Softy. I'm so glad you didn't let it go several weeks ago when you were considering having a drink.

And here is some good news: further brain healing goes on after a year! You're not "done" with all the good things not drinking can bring.

All the best, NS

Comment

End of Week 52

GREAT JOB!
        Here is your prize and praise!
        :grannypants:

Yes, your big girl panties! Like NS says, if you think year 1 is amazing, wait till you hit year 2! The best is yet to come! So happy for you!! xo, Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

End of Week 52

end of week 52? Had to think on that a bit, but that equals a year ...right
          Very very well done!!
          “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

End of Week 52

End of week 52, surely has a nice ring to it Softy!

Comment

End of Week 52

Congratulations Softy.

I know it feel absolutely incredible that we have managed to do this. I am surprised by this every day, will never get used to the idea that I am sober In a good way
              AF since 1st Sep 2012
              NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

End of Week 52

Congratulations, Softy!!!!!
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

End of Week 52

Softy a huge congratulations on a year and you deserve the cudos and recognition of your achievement. I too look at the months adding up and sometimes think it is someone else. Our lives have changed for the better and when we decided to listen and read and post and change out lives by getting al out and not drinking have we truly begun to live. Enjoy your wonderful sober life and heres to many more to come.
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

End of Week 52

Hi, Softy:

I was a steadfast follower of those weekly posts - kind of like that book "What to Expect When You're Expecting," they laid out for me what sobriety was like week by week.

So very cool to see 52 weeks! Congratulations. Onward and upward.

Pav

Comment

End of Week 52

Softy! Congrats on 52 weeks. I am sure you feel rewarded. AF life is the great prize.
                      AF since 10/20/2013
                      Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                      Meat free since 09/20/2008
                      ---------------------------------------
                      With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

End of Week 52

My reward is a bag of crisps, a glass of Pepsi and a great book to read this evening!

Thanks for the kind words - more alive now than I have ever been:-)
                        Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

End of Week 52

I am so happy for you Softy .. I dont have any undies or tater chips..but I do have this :l
                          Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
                          AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

End of Week 52

Huge congrats, Softy. You inspire us.
                            Free at Last
                            "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                            http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

End of Week 52

Softy you are one of the things that keeps me inspired. Glad you are here with us. Congratulations on the 52 weeks. AWESOME.
                              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X