Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting AL on several fronts....

Hi all,
    Well after a number of years trying trying trying to cancel out the demon drink I succumbed last night and feel generally horrible today. My husband doesnt know what to do with me, this battle is sorely trying our family. Add to that a deep depression that is really sucking my energy, cooking a meal is like climbing Mount Vesuvius. There are a number of reasons that I abuse alcohol but the worst one is that I like it.....when I am doing it.....and I always think I can manage just one or two but the logic flies out the window and there I go completely over the top. Brain fried.

Where do I start again.....feeling lost.....

Hi Julie and welcome. Oh al, how i loved it, my best friend, my lover, my confidante. Al was my everything until it nearly took all i held dear and that was my family and it wanted to take me also. My health was suffering, i had bad depression, severe anxiety, shame, guilt, remorse when i woke everyday but i kept hitting the repeat button. Alcoholics cant have one or two drinks, we cant have any.

Maybe you should try for 30 days af and see how you feel. Will your hub support you? Being on here helped me be accountable, when ever i had a craving i would come on here and post and read, id watch documentaries on alcoholism also.

Head over to the newbies nest and say hi. There are lots of people in different stages of giving up al. I am coming up to a year being sober and if you had asked me a year ago if it was doable i would have said "not me". It is the best decision i have ever made in my life, i have no regrets not drinking, my family loves me and are very proud, each day is a joy to wake up sober. It hasnt been easy at all but it can be done.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Welcome Julie.
      We feel like we can rise above alcohol. We can control our drinking. We are just like every other person.
      You like to travel? Last week I spent time in the airport and hotels. I thought I was a normal drinker when I drank, but being alcohol free for the last 9 months, my brain thinks different.

So what did I see? These travel dates could have been ripped out of any travel day:
      - People nursing bloody marys in first class at 830 am, on a Tuesday. Is that normal?
      - People drinking red wine in airport restaurants at lunch time. Overhearing the excuses given to the server as they reorder a second or third drink. Does the server really care?
      - People drinking all they can at the hotels reception, realizing its cheap beer but pretending its some craft beer. It's Tuesday night and work starts bright and early Wednesday.

Julie, only you can decide what's important for you and your family. Your actions impact all of them. We want to be here to support your journey, but you have to take the first step.

Like Ava, I was half the person I should have been. I am much happier now. My kids are so proud. People I travel with don't matter.

Hugs. Patty
      Last edited by NotHappyHourHappyLife; November 17, 2014, 07:14 AM.
      "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
      so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
      :hug:

Comment

Hi Julie- you have made a first great step by acknowledging your problem and reaching out for help. Sorry you are struggling so hard now, but you can beat this demon. Of course, you like drinking when you are doing it ..your brain has been trained to believe it makes everything better…but it doesn’t, and logically you know that. The best thing I feel now every morning is the optimism and energy of NOT BEING HUNGOVER..I am much more on my “A Game” now and able to handle life’s challenges because my head is clearer..you will feel that too..it sucks at 1st..and it’s a horrible difficult cycle you must break ..drinking to make drinking go away is a horrible solution…start a plan, set a goal and try like nothing before as if your life depended on it…because it does. The alcohol will only depress you more, so break the cycle and help your emotional state…below are a few links on how AL effects your mind, makes you depressed and a good start to help (nothing is better than a B-Complex vitamin to help break that cycle)..stay with us and you WILL conquer this this time…

Depression (general)
        Depression can be triggered by many metabolic disorders and health issues.
        Among the most common are ongoing ailments, blood sugar problems, food and chemical allergens and intolerances, energy generation problems and a poor diet.
        Suggested helpers
        Modest levels of Vitamins C, B1, B2, B6, B12 and folic acid.
        In some cases calcium, magnesium and manganese may be useful.
        Check for an acidosis condition and high lactic acid levels.
        Ensure you have adequate salt and potassium in your diet unless you have been advised by a qualified
        physician to do otherwise, and take regular exercise.
        See raising serotonin which may also help.
        It is important to remove all processed and junk foods from the diet and consult the E-Numbers page.
        Address the various sections of this site for help with any suspected health issues.
        Other possible helpers: Vitamins B3 and B5.

DEPRESSION: Low Dopamine, Not Low Serotonin

Here are some of the differences between dopamine and serotonin deficiency, and the differences how one feels between the two. Depression can be caused by a lack of the neurotranmitter serotonin in...

When people have low dopamine or low serotonin levels, there are few simple signs to be aware of to help you diagnose the problem. If you are low serotonin, you would be craving carbs, dairy or even bananas. If you are low dopamine, then you tend to reach for stimulating foods such as coffee or chocolate. These only increase dopamine short term and should not be the go-to foods as then you will really get fatigued from stressing your adrenal glands.

Alcohol and Dopamine

Moreover, the experimental evidence suggests that alcohol does not cause the increase in dopamine directly. Rather, it appears that alcohol directly affects the GABA system and the endorphin system. Neurons from the GABA system extend into the reward pathway and when alcohol affects the GABA system these neurons release dopamine into the reward pathway.
        It is alcohol's effect on the GABA system which is responsible for its depressant effects. It is also important to note that the term "depressant" refers to drugs which slow down the central nervous system; it does not refer to drugs which induce depression. These are properly referred to as "depressogenic" drugs. The relationship of alcohol to depression is fairly complex; although alcohol can induce depression in some long term heavy drinkers, Denning and Little (2011) note that alcohol can also function as an antidepressant in some drinkers, particularly women. Moreover, some people with depression use alcohol to escape from it
        Last edited by See the Light; November 17, 2014, 10:21 AM.
        “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

I'm pretty much in same boat. I hope you choose not yo drink . I am trying to start over today with no alcohol ever again. I can't handle it.

Comment

Welcome, Julie.

You've come to a great place to get support to get that demon off your back once and for all. There is not much more to add to the great advice you've gotten above, but add my name to the list of people who are so much better in so many ways since quitting. I had that same "I LIKE it" feeling, so I really understand what you're saying. But if alcohol causes you and your family the grief it caused me and mine, you will soon find out that there is so much more to like from a sober life.

Pavati

Comment

Hi Julie, how are you doing today? You have gotten some great advice so far, I just wanted to lend you some support as well. It sounds like you have some great reasons to quit. I am very grateful to feel like I have the energy to take on daily tasks. I really remember that drained feeling you talked about. If you spend a little time around here reading, you will find that so many have experienced relief after quitting. This is available to anyone with a little work. I hope to see you around!
              "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
              AF 11/12/11

Comment

Working...
              X