What are your go to AF vacation plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your go to AF vacation plans?

Hi! I'm doing so much better than I was 2 weeks ago due to this site. THANK YOU!

One thing I'm still struggling with is is concept of "having a plan". I mean I get it, but I know I dont really get it because I don't necessarily do it. I'm going on vacation for 2weeks. My first adult AF vacation. What plans have worked for you, whether on vacation or not?

Hi actiongirl -

For me it is things like: knowing ahead of time how I am going to respond to offers for drinks or questions about my drinking. "I don't drink", "I don't drink anymore", "I can't, I'm on medication and I can't drink" - - and many other options - some people aren't comfortable fulling discussing that they aren't drinking anymore yet and just want to have something they can say to get through that moment and deal with the next one when it comes.

Also - if you start to feel like you might give in to a craving, what will you do? Will you come on here and post and read? Will you call someone who is supporting you in your sobriety? Go out for a walk? That type of thing.

I always like to plan what I'm going to be drinking instead, especially when others around me will be drinking a lot. Like a seltzer with cranberry and lime, for example, is something I like to drink especially when others are drinking - it looks like I'm drinking too and avoids questions and helps me not to worry what other people are thinking. (on that topic - I think it's so weird that so many of us worry what other people are thinking...when I was drinking I don't think I really gave a second thought to people who didn't drink - I don't know why I would think others would think twice about me not drinking!) Or hot chocolate. Or tea. These are my new habit and I'm so glad I'm not attached to my wine glass in the evenings now!

I have not had a true AF vacation yet (though I've been out of town it was not the typical vacation so not drinking wasn't too hard) But I will be going out of town for New Years to a place where drinking pretty much round the clock is what I have always done. Thanks for the reminder that I need to start planning for that!!

Comment

Thanks Frances! I usually hang out in Newbies Nest so I missed seeing this earlier. Still learning to navigate a lot of things, including this site. Nice steps: Have an answer, a craving plan and a favorite AF drink ready. Thanks again and stay strong this holiday season.

Comment

Working...
      X