No announcement yet.

I just read "Love Letters to yourself"- the thread about lurkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head over to the Newbies Nest Trying. sometimes threads get lost around here and its not because we dont care but we may miss the thread you started. Get rid of the al and all the hidden stuff especially. There can be no more hiding with al as al will always win.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Trying MWO changed my whole life. I came her not knowing what I was going to do. My whole life was falling apart. I just did what the other people on here advised. I visited the toolbox, read and posted every single day, and was honest with myself and the other people on here. And one day at a time I stopped drinking and using drugs. If I can do it, you can too. I feel so free. I can look myself in the eye and be proud again.
      The newbies nest is a wonderful place to get started.
      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Hmmmm. Oh can I relate! Fully functional Ph.D psychologist. Doesn't matter. Can't figure out how to deal with the drinking issue. And have struggled with this for more years than I care to even share. Husband rarely drinks, I never go to bars... Just drink at home, hidden and alone. Not pretty, not fun, just a compulsion I sorely miss if I don't engage in. Ugh. I work out regularly, watch my diet, work hard, love my kids.... And hate myself for this horrible behavior, that has persisted for 30+ years.

Comment

Hi Hanna! Well- let's at least try I am reading and learning- it's worse this time of the year for me- and I suspect many others. Today-- I kept reading, and forced myself to have a glass of water or gatorade between the drinks.

Comment

Thanks... And happy holidays

Comment

Hi Trying and Hanna. Welcome to MWO. So glad you decided to join us. The love and support I have received here saved my life. I shudder to think where I would be today if I had never made that first post. Kudos to you both for being brave enough to say "enough is enough."

I too was a decades long, daily drinker, mostly at home, so I understand. Like Ava - I considered myself a functioning alcoholic. From the outside, things looked pretty good. But my inner world was in turmoil. Unfortunately, I let it go on a bit too long, and while I never lost my job due to drinking, or ran afoul of the law, I did start to lose some very important things - my marriage, the respect of my children, and worst of all, my self-respect. It doesn't ever have to get to that point for someone to decide it's time to give AL the boot. In fact, I highly advise against it

You both have made the first, and most important step in this journey. You have reached out. Check out the Newbies Nest. Jump in. Post, post, post. It's the key to success. The folks here are very nice and caring, and so full of good advice. I rely on their wisdom and guidance every day.

Hope to get to know you better. Stick close.
              Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

You sound just like so many of us - the wonder of this place is that anything you have done, someone else has too. Lots of professional women here, mothers, wives - all leading double lives and succeeding at it ...... on the surface. Lots of us have succeeded in becoming af, some quicker than others, but you are in now, so lets get you on the road to a much better way of life!
                Last edited by scottish lass; December 24, 2014, 12:03 AM.
                “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Working...
                X