Yes, it was worth it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it was worth it

I know I can be a pest, but here is another post aimed at guests who are still lurking, and newbies who have joined but are reluctant to post their stories. I may only be speaking to a small minority of people, but I do know that one of the reasons it took me so long to join in and participate fully in this forum was because I was terrified of being recognized. Telling my story here required that I be completely honest, and that included telling the details that are unique to my life. Our stories about AL are much the same, but the details differ, and I was very well aware of that fact. (yes - I used to overthink everything). It didn't occur to me at the time that if someone on MWO figured out who I was it would certainly mean they had a problem with AL too.

No - I could only see the consequences of being "outed." Would I lose my job? My friends? How could I maintain my reputation (which was crumbling but I was still too far into my addiction to see it at the time)? The thought of going public in my real life was beyond my comprehension. OMG...I work in education. It was unthinkable. And truthfully, I have seen people at work shoved out due to addiction problems. However, now that I'm sober, I realize that it wasn't their addiction that caused them to lose their career, it was their inability to admit that they needed help, and then take the steps to get it. They had the power all along, they just weren't ready

The moral of this story is that over the past 1-1/2 years, I have become more open in my real life. It took a long time, and I don't expect or advise anyone to do this at the beginning. However, it was my worst, unfounded fear. It paralyzed me. It kept me from seeking help. I still don't walk up to someone and say, "Hey, guess what - I'm an alcoholic." That would be silly and unproductive. However, I have been honest with a few close coworkers.

So yesterday, a woman I work with came up to me, and she was obviously nervous. I know her fairly well, but we don't discuss too many personal issues. Anyway, imagine my surprise when she confided about a serious problem with AL and her need to stop drinking. She is like many of us here...mother, daughter, friend...alcoholic. She had heard through the grapevine that I no longer drink and why, and she wanted to know more. We had a long talk. I recommended all the books. I told her about the supps. I told her she wasn't alone. But the best thing I did was tell her about MWO. For all I know she may be lurking right now, read this post, and recognize who I am. Yes, that could happen, but knowing that I may have helped one person find their way out of the prison of addiction is worth it. Fighting my fear, posting my story, taking that chance...yes, it was all worth it. I just couldn't see that in the beginning.

So join in. Tell us your story. Be honest. The future may hold some delightful surprises for you. It did for me.

xx,
    Moss
    Everything is going to be amazing

Wow some really great threads showing up today.
    Perfect timing being the new year and all.

MR thanks so much for sharing this, we all are unique and have our idiosyncrasies, yet we are so alike when it comes to Alcohol. I appreciate your leadership!
    You my friend stay hard!
    AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Matt - thanks for the post, but until I have a solid year of sobriety behind me, I will still consider myself a newbie. And even then, I will remain cautious before I declare victory. I've been a hard case from the beginning, and can't ever afford to get too confident. There are many here who have earned the title of "leader." In my opinion they are angels. I'm not there yet. But I hope to earn my wings one day.

I must admit - telling my friend about MWO was a huge leap for me. All the other advice was easy, but MWO is my personal space - where I come to vent, comment, and just be myself. You all know more about me than my nearest and dearest. That may sound weird but it's true. So until Friday, MWO was my best kept secret. But I think I did the right thing. She needs help. You all are her best chance.

xx, Moss

Comment

No pain no gain in giving up al i say.

My children have always known about the support i have on here and know a lot of you all by name and ask how "such and such" is going. i always call this site my drinking site which probably is not the best choice of names but......

My eldest daughter who i mainly gave up drinking for now tells her clients about this site in the hope they get to the happy place i am at or their parents. No one understands what we go through to get to where we are now. Not even my children get that it was a daily battle some days but mwo does.

MR i dont classify myself as an oldie even now, i still worry i will drink, i have no intentions but i know i cant walk away from here and think i am cured. I will never be cured of this addiction. Your are a tweebie now MR! Great title i think!
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I still have a long way to go. I too have people asking how I've done it. Listening intently when I talk about quitting.
          Some days I wonder what I really am accomplishing in life. But this is probably one of the best things I've ever done. And it's enough.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Tweebie!! Too funny, Ava. I hope I'm a better teenager than my son was. hahaha.

LB - you are doing great. You have overcome huge hurdles to get where you are today. You have had to conquer AL, deal with major family issues, and go about your daily life too. That's a huge accomplishment in itself. I know how you feel though. I have enough AF time to feel good about myself, but still wonder if I'm a fraud when I am dispensing advice, since I know I still have a long way to go. But we've both learned a few important things along the way, right? I guess we'll figure it out. xx

Comment

Mossy, you once again have posted an inspirational message, and I am glad you have found relief in sharing your journey with your work colleague. Obviously others here see your value and friendship, and I am so glad.

P.S. I MISS YOUR PMs. HINT HINT.:heartbeat:

Comment

Working...
              X