JUNE NEWBIES IN NEED DAY 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bluesky for starting us off with another inspiring post. Wow, so many congratulations are in order! Hart 30, Kitty and Tea 2, Padme 21, Roxanne and Rotrod 6, Iced 5, Janice more than a month. Jane, you are getting up there too I know. Janice, glad your mom is home and doing a bit better. I loved the Kite Runner so I look forward to 1000 Splendid Suns. I need a good book. I seem to be passed the tiredness and and am feeling good. It may just be time, but I also started adding suggestions about energy when doing the hypno cds. Have a great day everyone!

Comment

30 days AF.....Yup, I did it. Thank you for all that thanked me!!! Weight issue? Not really an issue except I had wished to lose more, but not gaining and have lost about 6 pounds since it all started...so not tooo bad.

Change, good job on resisting!!! New habits, that's what it is all about for me. Drinking something else besides beer.

I had stopped taking Campral and my hubby called me on it. He said it's all about the brain and what an alcoholic's brain is like w/o alcohol.... OOOOOKAAAY, that didn't convince me. "We paid $60 and we might as well use them" Okay, THAT convinced me.

Everyone is a winner if they are on AF day 1 or a year, in that we are all HERE and trying.

That's the hardest thing.....admitting we have a problem, and seeking help.

Comment

Padme;146009 wrote:
        I don't know if this helps the ones that keep slipping around 3-6 days but the first time I quit in 2001 for four years I did a lot of research on alcoholism for a couple years. I don't know if you've read any of the books but when we are drinking we are basically (as alcoholics) changing the alcohol in to a type of morphine like substance in our brain so our body stops making any 'feel Good' hormones because we are getting it from the alcohol so when we quit there is no 'feel Good' hormones in our body. Depending on how heavy and how long you have been drinking around day 3 the alcohol is completely out of your system and it starts wanting it's dose of "feel Good" hormones (serotonin, dopamine). It is extremely powerful and very difficult to over come with your mind. That is why the supplements and exercise help with the cravings. The supps are helping to replace some of the key components in our bodies missing when we drink. Our bodies will start to make it's own hormones when it realizes it is not getting it from an outside source but it takes time and our job is to not drink until this happens. The exercise starts making serotonin and dopamine almost immediately giving you that sense of well being. All of this adds up to more inner strength and less cravings.
        off to do my first day of exercise(god and maybe all this weight will start coming off)

Oh my gosh, what you say makes perfect sense. I didn't realise alcohol had such an insidious effect, i thought it was just the liver and hangovers (and some social stuff i guess). No wonder the coming days are the hardest, thank-you so much from my point of view and for others reading this for discussing the importance of exercise. I am going to do a bit more of that today.

And, PMS, definately. It sends me crazy one a month too. I can drink truckloads... But i am going to try, try
        to abstain this time.

Currently, i am thinking about avoiding certain friends, because i know that once i talk to them, i am likely to drink because we all drink together. Now, i am wondering if they are actually 'friends' or just drinking buddies. I need to get myself stronger before i talk to anyone who may trigger my desire for alcohol (you know, the ones that influence you to go out drinking? - okay, that's a bit of a blame thing, but i honestly am not strong enough right now).

Uhm, yes, the serotonin. That's why it's important we find things that we used to like doing.

Anyhow, off to make breakfast and settle in for an hour of Dr. Phil.

Change (is good!).

PS. I'm not that strong.
        One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

padme, thanks so much for writing out that piece about what happens in that first 3 to 6 days or so. it is for me up those cravings that come in up these first few weeks. and, once i've drank the next day i'm in a deep depression. and if i haven't drank well for days im in this funk. so, i'm in this funky funk. i had 9 years sober but have been back drinking now for for 7 years so i don't really remember much about that good 9 i had. time to retrain my neurons again i see. happy to have just found this thread. smiles
          :welcome:

Comment

Just poppin in to say Hey! I've been AF since Monday. Tired as all heck....see you all tomorrow!
            Suddenly I see
            This is what I want to be
            suddenly I see
            Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

Great goin Lorelei. Keep it up !
              If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Just had my first big al craving... phew. I didn't realise how hard this was going to be, but suspected the 2nd day and over would be hard...

I am so proud of myself... i sat there and took some deep breaths and then ate something, and in under 20 mins it was gone.

:wd:
                One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

way to go change. i'm proud of you. between nite sweats and tired all day and on the mend from surgery. oy veh. but you know it is almost 5:30 and instead of booze and i canceled client dinner in case of weak moment for booze. i'm going to take a nap and then bubble bath. boots is tired. good job on not giving into the craving. i keep thinking how much better i feel each day when i'm not hung over. niceeeeeeee
                  :welcome:

Comment

Working...
                  X