Finally on the right path, or trying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally on the right path, or trying.

Wanted to stop on by and say whats up. I have read plenty of articles on this sight and finally made the decision to start down my 30 days alcohol free. Today is going to be my first day without alcohol and even though the anxiety has been high, I have been able to be it back.

I didn't want to go on a blog type rant but I did set up a blog to help me through this and if you would like to check it out and post some of your thoughts then that would be much appreciated at https://mybattlewithalcohol.wordpress.com/.

Much respect to all here going through this struggle.

Unmasking,
    Please feel free to post here about your struggles, in addition to the blog. This helps many, and your thoughts are important to us all.

Comment

Hi Unmasking and welcome. I read your blog post, it was brave of you to post that. I found a lot in common with your story: drinking only at night, being successful at work and home, having started in my 20's etc. Like you, I was hung over ALL the time too. That really puts a damper on any feelings of success, though. We are the lucky ones, who ended up here. It doesn't feel lucky at the start of AF life, but we truly are. We have woken up enough to have the POSSIBILITY to change. There are drunks all over this world slowly committing suicide on a barstool, wondering why their life is in ruins. We have a chance, and were brave enough to take that chance. Success isn't guaranteed. It involves accepting help and doing things not as we have done them to get to this point.

There are two really great resources here: the Toolbox thread and the Newbies Nest thread. The toolbox will give you concrete strategies and techniques that have been proven to work. We have to use different tools to get out of the mess than we used to get into the mess. The Nest will offer immediate feedback and support. With the TOOLS and SUPPORT you can tip the scales in your favor!
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Thank you both for your kind replies, this is going to be one hell of a journey that is for sure but soooo worth it. I finally have one full day under my belt and waking up without a hangover feels absolutely incredible. I updated my blog as promised if you guys want to take a look.

I will also be utilizing those articles as mentioned by Pinecone, and congrats for being alcohol free for so long! An inspiration for sure.

Comment

Welcome to day 2 Unmasking!!
          We are routing for you, be kind to yourself but vigilant, you won't regret it!
          (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise View Post
            Welcome to day 2 Unmasking!!
            We are routing for you, be kind to yourself but vigilant, you won't regret it!
            Thank you! It is nice to know that there are people out there rooting for me, it gives me a good boost of confidence. I just finished day two and updated the blog if you would like to check it out. I am currently pushing through day 3.

Comment

Hey...smart idea to create a blog of this journey. If you start to faulter you know exactly why you started.
              It is almost bedtime in Europe so good luck finishing day 3- see you for day 4 & maybe you want to start checking in on the Newbie Nest Roll Call? It continues to motivate me! Glad you found this site and are making this effort to take your life back.

Comment

Hey Unmasking!
                Links to the two great threads on this site are in my signature line below. Well done on Day 3! You are operating under your own power now! Keep it going, you'll never regret a day you spent sober! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thank you guys for following, it actually means a lot to me. I decided to start a blog or some kind of journal to keep myself accountable and to also look back at what I have had to go through to get past this struggle as alcohol has a way of placing a veil of bullshit between me an progress.

Thank you guys all for the support and links, I have been utilizing some to help out. Today has been rough with the cravings but I can't let alcohol win.

Comment

Have you looked at the health store here ?
                    Maybe look at the starter pack? It is what helped me to get through the 1st months... have a quick look! Maybe make your purchases locally though so you do not have to wait for your shipment.

Comment

Working...
                    X