Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what a week! with drugs around...

Wow what a week.

It started with last Sunday me going to Goa for a destination wedding. It's a new trend to have a wedding in a exotic locations.

It was a wedding of an old friend which used to be my neighbor about few years younger to me. We have growth together and he has seen me doing all crazy stuff while growing up. Drinking only part of it. Now meeting him after years he seem so happy getting married.

Welcome... "Come grab a beer and chill out!" he said as I entered the hotel in hot and humid afternoon. My wife could not join so I was alone... so I could do what ever I wanted.

Next 2 to 3 days followed were hard party till 4 am with people drinking, smoking.. much beyong weed. Word stoned and drunk is an understatement. Not because they were all out... But coz they were having it so much that it was not affecting them. After one week of partying they were wondering why it's not making them high.. Rather making then miserable.

Morning....I was the only one among the party gang for breakfast.

3 days I was there I saw people sooo proud that they can drink so much and while I did felt sometimes left out but then again I enjoyed the settings music etc. But ... seeing them I saw them trapped, not knowing what they r doing. It was not only about drinking but also hell lot of smoking...

Is the whole world addicted? But these were young lads... In early 30s. But then what about they parents... They toowere having their party of cocktail and smoking local weed.

Being left out of the place I did what I do best... waking relatively early, swimming and making new friends (I am not so good at last one!)

Day of wedding... the grooms uncle had a stroke. he is known to smoke, drink and gamble. It's sad as he had to rush to hospital. While celebrations went on few turned to diet coke as choice of drink with smoke making them even more miserable I guess.

They need a drink to do everything.. To dance, to enjoy music, to joke and even later to handle difficult situations. And here was I.... Well sober and observing all.. No need for a drink not even single time.

Next day I had an early morning fight to go to another city for work with a bunch of meetings. Last meeting was wiith a potential customer who was on verge of retirement . "you are so late let go and have a drink and talk"... He took me to his golf course bar and while the setting was amazing with green grass, I disappointed him when he asked what's your poison. He too needed a drink to enjoy the setting and lovely breeze. I guess difficult to find a companion for drink everyday and talk about his wild life and career working in Iraq and then in a Japanese company. Now he Golf's and enjoys his drink.

Back home the next day. we had planned to go to a local game with kids and few friends. it's cricket which is quite popular here and there guys were missing their drink cribbing as to Y they don't serve AL in sports stadium. Hmmmm...

Next day invitation from another friend for their 10 year anniversary. To a nice bar lounge. People drinking as usual. Met a guys who I know quit drinking for like 9 months.

"how u do it for so long "
    "for me it was miserable 9 months"
    "Ah! There's no like without booze"
    Another friend saying to me jokingly
    "Now stop showing off and start drinking"

Offhhhh.... . Is the whole world addicted!!?? Have I become like a rare species? Then I look back If I would have been drinking how differently the week would've gone. I would have been drinking every single day. And loads of it. Making me feel miserable, guilty, half dead. It would have been needling my soul.

But then here am I not only surviving but flourishing and seeing life with fresh sober eyes. No longer cribbing and chasing the false high from drugs.

Do I miss drinks: absolutely not! But I cannot run away from such situations like last week. I have to face them and then use them for one thing: to make myself stronger and sober!!
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Wow, congrats on your success Rahul!
    I think you just built some very strong sober muscles!:welldone:
    Kicked AL to the curb November 9, 2014!

Comment

Great read Rahul,
      Doesn't it feel great to look back at this as Not what you missed out on, yet the opposite, of Thank God I'm not there anymore?
      Getting "high" or buzzed has become the status quo, or has always been there.
      I was browsing in social media this morning and there were countless pics of people at lake parties, crawfish boils etc, people passed out in all sorts of compromising positions. The "like" meter in the page was in the 50's. These people passed out are "bad asses" "they can really party"
      I was that guy for so long, I lived believing fun life was over without mind altering chemicals. Yes there are times when I feel left out, but my mindset has changed. The hell that poison put me through is unimaginable. For today I'm pretty sure I don't want to go there again.
      Last edited by Matt M.; April 26, 2015, 02:30 PM.
      AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Hey Matt and New page,

I sometime see people close to me whom I have seem them drinking since long. For some their habit has progressed and they now drink more for other they cut back feeling miserable And missing another one...

I don't see or am yet to come our anyone who totally quit like me. There was one whom I mentioned above but then he started drinking again.

It would be great to relate to someone who have been sober for long as it can give a different death and meaning to the discussion. Crop talk people do when they r drunk is not them but booze talking. While they may appear cool to others like once it used to me.. ; but no longer today.

How important has drinking become in people Life.
        Rahul
        --------------------------------------------
        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
        Rebooting ... done ...
        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Congrats on coming out the other side, Rahul.
          Drinking really is everywhere and its scary to think WE are the minority in society! So many people going around half looped! Or fully looped, as I did. Those occasions would have given me a free pass to drink openly and a LOT.
          There are, sadly, a small percentage of folks who have REALLY term term sobriety and its for the reasons you state above...it is accepted and encouraged! I am so glad to be among the long termers....my life now is a walk in the park compared to the daily hell I was in.
          Thanks for sharing your story...makes me proud for US!!! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
          X