Bouncing back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncing back

I'm back after letting my guard down and drinking alcohol again. I'm back though and apologise to everyone who offered me support not so long ago (I lasted a whole 2 weeks, then a day!). I'm ashamed and angry with myself and did consider not posting but need to come back. Everyone on here is so supportive I know I need to just draw a line and start again instead of beating myself up.
    I was just reading Jason Vale and thought this bit was really good and might help other people in the same situation as me. Like others I'm sure, when wanting to give it up so much eventually It can start to feel like when you're trying to diet with food and the worry of not having those couple of red wines round an open fire, or a few beers with friends whilst camping, or a well earned glass after a long drive etc start to creep in but as we all know in reality its never like that and those thoughts are just bubbles in our minds! 1 or a couple is never enough once that chain reaction starts and even though I remember some nights (not many) didn't end badly, the majority over the past god knows how long have left me with self loathing and resentment at letting a drug leave me powerless, un attractive, miserable, depressed, moody and ill.

I was just reading something Jason Vales book and thought it would help me and others in the same situation as mine to get back up and keep on going towards a better, healthier lifestyle.

he talks about stopping thinking about what we'll loose all the time, and how moderation is similar to dieting, you just think about what you're missing all the time until you reward yourself and cave in. He says you are giving up absolutely nothing only:

" headaches, hangovers, the lethargy, the bad breath, the beer gut, the arguments the violence, being overemotional, regretting things you have done but can't remember doing, getting things out of proportion, putting things off all the time, the stress, the overdraft, the taxis, the guilt, the lies, the deceit, the brewers droop, the mood swings, the break down of the immune system, the lack of resistance to all kinds of diseases, the destruction of brain cells, excel weight, and most of all, THE DAILY MENTAL AND PHYSICAL SLAVERY OF BEING A DRUG ADDICT.

I'm going to write these down and stick them on the fridge, cupboards etc even if my friends and family do see them. I'm going to get this into perspective, why should I be embarrassed about giving a drug up that gives you all that? society has gone mad to get lulled into taking it. When I look at alcohol I'm going to remember what it really is no matter what its dressed up in, its a drug, that is addictive and destructive and I'm choosing to stop taking it and look at non destructive ways to help me cope with winding down and feeling better about myself.

Sorry this is so long. Thank you too to everyone on this site who helps the likes of me, we really need you when the people around us can't see our struggles and inner loathing, you are so supportive, I hope I can help others too one day. .:thanks:

Hey there... good you are putting down your thoughts, great!

he talks about stopping thinking about what we'll loose all the time, and how moderation is similar to dieting, you just think about what you're missing all the time until you reward yourself and cave in. He says you are giving up absolutely nothing

The great news is Springstart eventually these thoughts of missing out stop. Maybe not entirely, but they pass quicker and quicker and you realise more easily that you are doing the right thing.
    I told my auntie last night I have had no alcohol in a year and want to know what she said? " And you feel a lot better, right?!!" You cannot imagine the difference in how you feel will be after a few months.
    Two weeks is great, do not get me wrong. Basically we have to reprogram our brains and convince ourselves we are not drinking because we are better off without it, we don't want it, we want a different life...

This is how the question 'omg why can't I just drink like a normal person?" was finally sorted in my mind for me. Of course sometimes I see a sparkling glass of wine and think "oh... oh... please... come over here with that wine..." but I don't drink, and that is that.
    Ah. Story over.
    Even my husband who, at the beginning was like "What? No wine, why not? Just cut back a little, you don't have to QUIT. That is a bit extreme don't you think?" now says 'well, that is the best thing you have ever done since we met." I have given up wine and taken up with horses!
    There is a big world out there to explore, which I wasn't doing because I was busy planning my drinking schedule. Glad that phase is over and you will be too!

Keep doing your best, you will get it!!
    Last edited by Eloise; May 24, 2015, 05:40 AM.
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Thank you Eloise, I'm glad you did it, I can't wait to get to a year and feel like you. I'm feeling confident at the minute but as I have found out it takes more and I'll just keep thinking about alcohol like I would if I was a vegetarian or had to eat gluten free, I just don't. I'm trying to think differently, I'm trying to look the fluid I like in a different light, all of it is just a drug in a liquid form that takes a very short time to inject and a bloody long time to get rid of the side effects and addictive powers.
      I used to love horses too! there's a riding stable near me, I might use the money I save and do something I used to love as a teenager, thank you.
      :happy2:

Comment

Spring welcome back. I love now having money and not "taking from Peter to pay Paul" and not having my power cut off or gas or phone. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Get back into something you love and enjoy it sober. Like El, i never want to drink again, giving up was hard but the benefits are so worthwhile.

Be accountable on here, we cant do this by ourselves.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
        X