X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is the best category to post about withdrawal sxs
    And such?

Comment

I bumped up a thread for you called Home Detox. It will he under new posts. There is a post from JackieClaire that I thought might be helpful. Let me see if it will copy woth the links in it.

Home detox ?

:welcome: to you LaceyLacey,
      I'm not proud to say that I've done a few home de-toxes using diazapam (valium) but always under the supervision of my doctor.

I'm not sure where you are in the world but in the UK your GP would probably refer to a drug and alcohol team. Where a safe de-tox or tapering down schedule can be worked out. He/she may already be able to do it from their own surgery.

As I can only speak for the UK. I would make the initial appointment, write down how much you drink and speak to one of the more senior doctors. Believe me they've heard worse.

I also found these.
      How to Self Detox from Alcohol: 10 Steps (with Pictures)

Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms

Please,please if the symptoms of withdrawal become serious seek medical help.

I wish you the best.
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thanks. I initially hooked up with this website because there was a long thread that I found somewhere in a Google search that was about alcohol tapering but this is clearly not the place to gain support for this. Thanks for all of the well wishes. Take care

Comment

Originally posted by Evedranktoomuch View Post
          Thanks badger. I have checked out the Hams site. The only problem there is they recommend beer and I can't drink beer
          HAMS only really recommends beer as it's generally easier to pace yourself than on something stronger. the same principles still apply with wine/spirits

Thanks. I initially hooked up with this website because there was a long thread that I found somewhere in a Google search that was about alcohol tapering but this is clearly not the place to gain support for this. Thanks for all of the well wishes. Take care
          I think I know the thread you mean. tapering on alcohol isn't for everyone, probably not even for most people, but it can be done by some - I've done it numerous times. if it's working for you then that's great, hang in there, I'm rooting for you

-badger

Comment

Eve, I wasn't able to taper ... it just led to the inevitable bottle or more a day habit over time,(vodka as well) I went cold turkey two years ago and haven't looked back. Be careful with detox. Any sign of DTs get yourself to the emergency room.

I had the same symptoms as you. If prescriptions aren't in your future you can try valarium root, ( smells like old sweat socks in hell),drink a ton of fluids mostly water but throw in something with electrolytes. Take a really good B complex vitamin and light exercise . Sleep when you can and often. You will likely develop a big sweet tooth...your brain is looking for a substitute. When sleeping wear something comfortable that wicks water. The night sweats can be a problem. Eat ...don't worry about the diet if that concerns you. Get support how ever you can. You can do this but again, first sign of DT's (not just the shakes) see your Doctor!
            Last edited by TJAF; July 14, 2015, 07:42 PM.
            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Originally posted by TJAF View Post
              Eve, I wasn't able to taper ... it just led to the inevitable bottle or more a day habit over time,(vodka as well) I went cold turkey two years ago and haven't looked back. Be careful with detox. Any sign of DTs get yourself to the emergency room.

I had the same symptoms as you. If prescriptions aren't in your future you can try valarium root, ( smells like old sweat socks in hell),drink a ton of fluids mostly water but throw in something with electrolytes. Take a really good B complex vitamin and light exercise . Sleep when you can and often. You will likely develop a big sweet tooth...your brain is looking for a substitute. When sleeping wear something comfortable that wicks water. The night sweats can be a problem. Eat ...don't worry about the diet if that concerns you. Get support how ever you can. You can do this but again, first sign of DT's (not just the shakes) see your Doctor!
              The fear of developing DT's is why I am tapering. I successfully did it 4 months ago and was off for a month with basically the same set of symptoms. Why I drank again is beyond me. I'm going to really be serious about it this time. I went 13-14 years without drinking. It will take a strong will but I am hoping that I can do it again. I have Vallium, but am more afraid of the Vallium than the alcohol. I'll use it if it is the last resort. What should I look for with DTs?
              Last edited by Evedranktoomuch; July 14, 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by badger View Post
                HAMS only really recommends beer as it's generally easier to pace yourself than on something stronger. the same principles still apply with wine/spirits

I think I know the thread you mean. tapering on alcohol isn't for everyone, probably not even for most people, but it can be done by some - I've done it numerous times. if it's working for you then that's great, hang in there, I'm rooting for you

-badger
                Thanks badger. And when I say this method is not supported here, I don't mean the people won't be supportive but rather this is not the wellspring of information on that subject that I thought it was. I'm going to give it my best shot, then if all else fails I will look into other options.

Comment

I had night sweats for about 3 nights the last time.
                  Last edited by Evedranktoomuch; July 17, 2015, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Are you sure it's DT's or is your problem with withdrawal in general. DT's are severe withdrawal symptoms. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000766.htm
                    If you suffer from DT's then you really shouldn't try to detox at home. I suspect you suffer from less severe withdrawal. I was shakey but I didn't have the shakes. Mild flu like symptoms. Very anxious. Difficulty sleeping and night sweats. I would often wake with a start too. This only lasted about a week but I was able to go to work. Take the B vitamins for sure. One of my personal hero's. Andrew Weil also suggests L-Glutamine and Milk Thistle. I also took an A and C vitamin. If you try the valarium make sure you don't take another sedative. Valarium is a fairly safe short term alternative to prescription sedatives and if anything it will help you sleep. I swear by it although it is quite foul.
                    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

The DT issue is why I am tapering. What should I look for with DTs?
                      The bottom of this article addresses DT's.

Could You Have a Drinking Problem?. © Getty Images

Updated June 27, 2015.

Written or reviewed by a board-certified physician. See About.com's Medical Review Board.

Alcohol withdrawal refers to a group of symptoms that may occur from suddenly stopping the use of alcohol after chronic or prolonged ingestion.
                      Not everyone who stops drinking experiences withdrawal symptoms, but most people who have been drinking for a long period of time, or drinking frequently, or drink heavily when they do drink, will experience some form of withdrawal symptoms if they stop drinking suddenly.
                      Long Term Alcohol Rehab
                      www.acadiamalibu.com
                      Insurance Accepted, Dual Diagnosis. Holistic, Non-12 Step. Call 24/7.

Alcohol Recovery Program
                      www.venturarecoverycenter.com
                      Successful CA Addiction Program. PPO Insurance Accepted. Call 24/7.

Alcohol Detox
                      1800addicts.com/DetoxCenter
                      Proven Effective Drug and Alcohol Detox That Works. Call Today!

There is no way to predict how any individual will respond to quitting. If you plan to stop drinking and you have been drinking for years, or if you drink heavily when you do drink, or even if you drink moderately but frequently, you should consult a medical professional before going "cold turkey."
                      For more information about withdrawals, see Alcohol Withdrawal.
                      Withdrawal Symptoms:

Mild to moderate psychological symptoms:
                      • Feeling of jumpiness or nervousness
                      • Feeling of shakiness
                      • Anxiety
                      • Irritability or easily excited
                      • Emotional volatility, rapid emotional changes
                      • Depression
                      • Fatigue
                      • Difficulty with thinking clearly
                      • Bad dreams

Mild to moderate physical symptoms:
                      • Headache - general, pulsating
                      • Sweating, especially the palms of the hands or the face
                      • Nausea and Vomiting
                      • Loss of appetite
                      • Insomnia, sleeping difficulty
                      • Paleness
                      • Rapid heart rate (palpitations)
                      • Eyes, pupils different size (enlarged, dilated pupils)
                      • Skin, clammy
                      • Abnormal movements
                      • Tremor of the hands
                      • Involuntary, abnormal movements of the eyelids

Severe symptoms:
                      • A state of confusion, hallucinations and instability of the autonomic nervous system - known as delirium tremens
                      • Agitation
                      • Fever
                      • Convulsions

Getting Help and Support

With the proper medical care, alcohol withdrawal symptoms can be greatly reduced or even eliminated. There are specific treatments available for anyone who wants to stop drinking, even after long-term, chronic alcohol abuse.
                      If your withdrawal symptoms are mild and you are trying to quit on your own, you might benefit from the encouragement and support that you can find at a support group meeting or even online in our Alcoholism / Substance Abuse Forum at About.com.
                      Join the discussion about Alcohol Withdrawal
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Are you sure it's DT's or is your problem with withdrawal in general. DT's are severe withdrawal symptoms. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000766.htm
                        If you suffer from DT's then you really shouldn't try to detox at home. I suspect you suffer from less severe withdrawal. I was shakey but I didn't have the shakes. Mild flu like symptoms. Very anxious. Difficulty sleeping and night sweats. I would often wake with a start too. This only lasted about a week but I was able to go to work. Take the B vitamins for sure. One of my personal hero's. Andrew Weil also suggests L-Glutamine and Milk Thistle. I also took an A and C vitamin. If you try the valarium make sure you don't take another sedative. Valarium is a fairly safe short term alternative to prescription sedatives and if anything it will help you sleep. I swear by it although it is quite foul.
                        Oh NO. I have no signs of DT's at this point. I was merely asking what early warning signs to look for. I think I am in the mild/moderate range of symptoms, but am afraid of Dt's. That is why I am not going cold turkey at this point. The last time I quit, I basically would just sip my vodka from a measured shot glass only when I felt very bad. Today is my second day of tapering and I had a total of 3 measured shots sipped throughout the day. This allowed me to grocery shop and take a walk picking blackberries with my daughter, do laundry, make dinner and prep for work tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this will be as easy as my last taper.
                        Don't get me wrong... I certainly don't feel stellar, but so far it's manageable. Time will tell.

Comment

Tjaf I see why you thought I had DT's. My post was confusing. I edited it. And YES! Velarium root extract is nasty tasting!! Barf!
                          Last edited by Evedranktoomuch; July 14, 2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Eve, How are you doing today?

Comment

Remarkably not too bad??? I slept 8 full hours which I have not done in months. When I was drinking heavily, my sleep was very broken. I am feeling fatigue, but I'm about to push through to work. I am really Surprise that I don't feel sicker. Maybe it just hasn't hit me yet?
                              Thx Pie

Comment

Also, I barely had any night sweats. But, for anyone reading this thread, I don't want them to believe I am symptom free. I am just not nearly as sick as I thought I might be. I have, fatigue, brain fog, emotional volatility and mild anxiety. No shaking...
                                Last edited by Evedranktoomuch; July 15, 2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X