No relapse this time Vegas !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No relapse this time Vegas !

New York, vegas, Brussels, Zurich ... Two weeks ... And I survived the trip ..

I must say that going on a trip across the other part of the world does have its own excitement.

It was one this similar trip I did about about 2 years back when I slipped and started drinking again. I recall I was in my early days of sobriety. Early days with MWO I was walking in downtown Manhattan walked into a Mexican bar and ordered a "light" corona. I was 45 days sober then and thought I cured myself after all I stayed sober for 45 days so can definitely moderate. Next few days saw heavy binge drinking and I remember I was drinking the whole night till early morning when I had leave for airport. I was so high that I almost peed in my pants when walking to checkin andwaiting in line.

Read my post then here : https://www.mywayout.org/community/ju...ighlight=Vegas

And

That was two years ago. This time on a similar trip I was much stronger. Ready not to fall into any temptation. Seeing amazing night life from a fresh sober eyes, early morning with fresh breath and also did which I didn't do. I did lot of physical activity including cycling.

Pope was in town last week in Manhattan and I found myself making way thru the traffic on my cycle which I enjoyed doing streets of Manhattan, central park and Brooklyn bridge. I have seen this city so many times, with cans and cans of beer. But never in such a way like a sober person. And I will tell u it was fun. So good to see so many people working put in central park, running and cycling ! Strange when you are a drunk and u think the whole world just does one thing ... Drinking and its not true

Vegas felt so empty, it felt people are simply chasing their addictions. Seeing people drinking, gambling and partying at night I didn't feel missed out rather felt amazed how the AL has power to woo people and keep them hooked on. Evening were boring indeed. I of course was there for a convention so days went by working.

Felt like fresh breath of air in europe. Was here on Saturday and did some good cycling. Cycled miles and miles on a bike thru mountains, fresh rivers, lush green valleys is something which has so much power and in a much addictive then the AL itself.

Saturday Zurich evening the whole town is out on streets, bars rocking. Young kids on streets holding cans of beers, booze flowing on streets. It was a normal site to see young people getting charged up and get a high before they walk into their favorite club and drink more. Cute couples seem so great sitting next to river side drinking wine but when u see things from a sober eye I see how AL is acting as a lubricant to bring them close. I felt like : " been that done that ... and I know where takes me !"

I noticed so many bottles and I wonder I too used to be like all of these people drinking away to glory or rather hell ...

Now back home... I feel I survived I had so many drinking memories from new York and Vegas. I wiped them clean. I am back much more strong and confident!

Thanks to you all
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Rahul, I remember that fist trip very well. I felt so bad for you. Just like that, you were back in the pit of addiction. Your story has stuck with me and I draw a great deal of strength from you. Thank you for taking us with you on these trips, I feel as tho I am there as you tell the stories.
    I am thrilled that you remained strong and now have stronger sober muscles as a result! I couldnt be more proud!! Great going!!! B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

What a wonderful trip for you. Sounds incredible.
      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Nice to see you pop by, Rahul. I am glad it went so well!

Pav

Comment

Great job staying strong. It's really empowering to finally have the ability to say NO to alcohol around so many who are under the powerful grip. I happen to live in the downtown area where the falcon game was being played today. Tons of tail gating parties every where. Some literally outside my gate as the dome is jus a block a way. By the time I was heading out to church, I could smell the gas grills, the meats and music...just a giant party with a sea of fans. The old me would've jumped right in there. The appeal jus wasn't even there. After church I came home as the celebrations were peaking. I could see liquor bottles and fans drowning themselves in beer....all I could think of, wouldn't wanna be you in a couple of hours...enjoy now pay the consequences late. I Came home, locked my door and shut the activities outside from my mind.
          Last edited by lizker; October 4, 2015, 08:46 PM.
          Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Thanks all. It's was all of you who inspired me in those time. The initial days were tough but I am so glad ai got over them.

Lizker, I don't today associate myself with the party people like the ones you mentioned. For me drinking came to a stage that it was not about party anymore. Unused to grab a bunch of beer cans in my bag pack and walk around the streetsof Vegas( or any similar city). Looking back and looking others doing the same thing I don't envy these days but rather I feel so much gratitude: that I have come out of it.

Byrdlady: It was your daily post which kept me going.

Paviti: I recall when I fell during those days you were new and Saw you become stronger and stronger day after day. Your journey has been truly inspiring.

Little beagle: I do enjoy travelling and sometime I wonder if that's myway of escape. I need to reduce it though
            Rahul
            --------------------------------------------
            Rewiring my brain ... done ...
            Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
            Rebooting ... done ...
            Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Working...
            X